Current and Finished Projects > Aero-space

Fire Spotter

(1/9) > >>

Kerick:
Here's a little something I've started inspired by some of Tophe's artwork. Tophe used a Bell 206 fuselage but I'm using a Matchbox Bk 117 because that's what I had on hand. It will be combined with a P-82 with the cockpits removed. All in 1/72nd scale.

The P-82 is a knockoff of the Monogram kit by Idea Hobby. Holy crap what a bad moulding! I'm not usually the type to complain about kits all the time but wow, what a dog. Its the Monogram mold but it must have been the worst one they had.

You can see here how much I had to widen the mid wing to allow for the Bk 117 fuselage. I used some kit sprue for reinforcement. It also helps to support the new wing sections.

The green is a section removed from the Hasegawa OV-1 Mohawk I'm converting to another helicopter. These wing sections fit almost perfectly. The Bk 117 blades will probably go on the Mohawk so there are many parts changing places here. The tape is holding the wing section down until the glue dries.
Putty has been applied to the wings and fuselage seams. Next I have to figure out how to cover the cockpits without using a ton of putty. I'm thinking of making it with nose gear so the less weight behind the main gear, the better. As is I will have to put lots of weight as far forward as possible. I could extend the nose of the engine nacelles and add some turbo prop engines. A couple of PT-6s should work. Paint will be some variation of Cal Fire or US Forest Service.

raafif:

--- Quote from: Kerick on May 24, 2023, 01:22:23 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I was thinking the BK fuselage would become a lowered central pod for all-round vision below :D

Kerick:
It will be somewhat lowered and at least the front seats forward of the props.

Old Wombat:
Hmm?! I'm wondering if you might have a nose-sitter, there. You may want to prepare to create a tricycle undercarriage, just in case.

Kerick:

--- Quote from: Old Wombat on May 25, 2023, 12:46:37 PM ---Hmm?! I'm wondering if you might have a nose-sitter, there. You may want to prepare to create a tricycle undercarriage, just in case.

--- End quote ---

I’m pretty sure that’s the route I will take. If I had thought of it earlier I would have looked at a way to move the main gear farther back on the wing to make it sit properly. Too late now unless I store the gear A-10 style. Question is how to create the nose gear?
I will be adding tip tanks too. I’ll use the gas bags from the Mohawk.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version