Current and Finished Projects > Other

WHIF Logistics Containers

(1/5) > >>

Jeffry Fontaine:
As the subject title proclaims.  The attached images show two examples of a what-if container that I created some time ago (make that several years ago by now) that were based on the display bases from some 1/700th scale HobbyBoss model submarine kits that I had acquired for other what-if projects.  The display bases were too unique in shape and size to be ignored or discarded so something had to be done to make them useful.  I eventually decided that by glueing two display bases back to back that I could get a reasonably sized and shaped container that still needed some minor work before I could be satisfied with the things.  This too more time than I had anticipated (hence the years gone by since it was first started).  Several attempts were made at adding feet of some kind to the tops and bottoms before I realized that I was putting far too much effort into something that should simply be a container to protect something while it was in storage or transit.  My most recent success is the two containers that are now sporting a section of 1/35th scale railroad rail as the feet at each corner of the container.  This was a minor victory for me as I had been getting nowhere with these things for quite some time until I opted to KISS (Keep It Short [and] Simple). 

First attached image: The display bases glued back to back to create the prototype container. 

Second attached image: The containers with feet attached. 

Frank3k:
How big is it? From the rails, it looks fairly small for 1/35 - maybe a container for something highly technical and delicate, like a nuclear device, compact power source or part of a server farm.

Jeffry Fontaine:

--- Quote from: Frank3k on June 28, 2022, 09:57:56 AM ---How big is it? From the rails, it looks fairly small for 1/35 - maybe a container for something highly technical and delicate, like a nuclear device, compact power source or part of a server farm.
--- End quote ---

Hi Frank.  You called it on possible purposes.  The attached image includes the small stainless-steel Xacto ruler/right angle that I had placed next to the things when I first made the images but then cropped the image to make sure they were small enough to be viewed on the forums.  Hopefully this gives you a better idea of how large these things are (not really that large but certainly close to optimum). 

length: about 2.5"
width: about 0.75"
height: about 1.0"

Frank3k:
It would make a nice power bank (like a Tesla battery wall) or maybe a 19U rack system with space for cabling and power. It would look good in a 20 or 40 foot container.

Old Wombat:
I would have just opted for 4 x 1mm-2mm lengths of right-angle styrene rod with squares of thin styrene attached to the bottom as feet & above as rests, a bit like RW cargo containers.

Or, just having had another look, just go with the styrene angles, so that the ridged protrusions at the top/bottom just lock them in place..

Good size containers for bulky but less massive cargo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version