Author Topic: F-23A photo recon version  (Read 21409 times)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: F-23A photo recon version
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2019, 12:10:09 AM »
So true! My son is getting married soon so lots of distraction going on there also!
I also have projects lined up in my brain and I keep thinking of new ones!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2019, 08:45:19 AM »
I still want to build the sensor port under the lengthened part of the fuselage. I'm going to take a hint from the F-35 EOTS port under the nose.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 08:50:09 AM by kerick »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2019, 08:50:46 AM »
So much of heavy work is done, am sure you will finish it well in due time.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2019, 09:00:51 AM »
Thanks!!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
The last stage of PSR is complete!!!  :thumbsup:
I attached the control surfaces back to their original places but in a lowered position. The white plastic is material I added to bring them into a shape that fit properly in a lowered position.

Now I have to build the sensor windows like the F-35 EOTS, just bigger.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
Why bigger?  The F-35 EOTS is plenty powerful as is and should suffice.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2019, 02:18:37 AM »
I've been working on the sensor windows lately. Started with some large plastic sequins.

I glued several layers of plastic together and cut some angled surfaces. I CA glued sequins to the surfaces and trimmed to fit. I had to replace the sequin parts a couple of time until I got it right.  :banghead:

I think it sits too high right now. I'll try to sand it down so it's less high than wide. It's just sitting in place right now until painting is done. At least I got the surfaces presentable as I ran out of usable CA glue. I know its bigger than the F-35 EOTS but I'm saying this is an earlier version that's a little more bulky.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2019, 03:42:01 AM »
@Kerick - yeah, have to agree with your observations on the height of the sensor windows.  Height aside, it definitely looks great.  Also an excellent work-around to resolving a problem.   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2019, 03:49:05 AM »
I wouldn’t bother referencing EOTS at all.  Just call this part of the dedicated sensor package.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2019, 04:08:33 AM »
IMHO is a bit big all over kerick, at least from what I've seen up close

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2019, 06:33:19 AM »
I agree, not just height but length and width, too, seem a bit much.  OTOH, it could have a larger sensor head than EOTS has and that would explain a lot.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2019, 06:36:58 AM »
Yeah I wasn’t going for a straight F-35 copy but something along that line but 10 plus years prior. Either with more sensors or bulkier technology. Or both.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2019, 06:44:23 AM »
Yeah I wasn’t going for a straight F-35 copy but something along that line but 10 plus years prior. Either with more sensors or bulkier technology. Or both.
Given the size of the guts of EOTS, that's probably a realistic outlook.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2019, 07:24:51 AM »
Kudos for novel repurpose of sequins.  Is perfecto  :smiley:

Offline Kerick

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2019, 10:07:32 AM »
The red, green and blue ones work great for the optics in modern armored vehicles.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2019, 11:47:32 AM »

I like it!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Kerick

Re: RF-23A photo recon version
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2019, 01:06:21 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments!!
I built a new version of the EOTS sensor windows. Looks much better to me. A lot sleeker yet still bigger than the F-35. Since this would be an earlier version I'm ok with that.

New version compared to the old version.

Now I have to fit the tail fins.  ::)

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »
I like the new version, it quite fits an earlier iteration of the EOTS package (what you don't see on the F-35 is just how much interior space the EOTS unit takes up, along with power and coolant lines).

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2019, 09:20:49 PM »
Yeah, definitely the new one  :smiley:

Interestingly, in your post all I can see is a white square with a 'no entry' symbol in it. However clicking on it takes me to your flickr page and I can see the pic.

Edit, and now I can see the pics in your post -----   :-\

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2019, 10:48:23 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2019, 11:33:55 PM »
I wish I could find my red, blue and green sequins. It would be more colorful!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2019, 01:40:01 AM »
Regarding the size of your sensor windows, it can also be explained away by the fact that the sensors hidden away behind the shiny windows are larger, or more enhanced for performance of the reconnaissance and surveillance mission of the RF-23.  The sensor suite on your aircraft could also include other bits requiring a transparent [to signals, etc.] window for the sensitive sensor heads that hide behind the sensor windows.  There might also be a requirement for imaging things in duplicate to create stereoscopic images for the purpose of creating 3D images or map constructs for development of target folders and other products for future operations or contingencies. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2019, 04:02:44 AM »
Your sleeker, second-generation EOTS is great ... and looks much less like the RW F-35 version.

... There might also be a requirement for imaging things in duplicate to create stereoscopic images for the purpose of creating 3D images or map constructs for development of target folders and other products for future operations or contingencies.

Cool idea Jeffry. That could also be a later, upgrade move. Earlier, larger sensors - dictating original sensor window size - replaced by smaller, duplicated sensors. And, I note, that LM's Advanced EOTS fits within the F-35's original windows  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2019, 06:37:31 AM »
Thanks Stephen,

My first encounter with gee-whiz stuff such as what I described was a briefing given at Fort Bragg, NC back in 1987-1988 while I was still working the intelligence business.  Some staff officers were down to visit from the Beltway Bandits (aka DoD/Washington D.C.) to give us an overview of what was to come in the future.  Things such as computer enhanced maps with details added in using 3D CAD models all fused with digital terrain elevation data to create "virtual terrain" on a computer monitor.  All of it was really neat but way out of my pay grade or income bracket.  Flash forward a few years and what was shown to me during that briefing was or is pretty much common fare in all computer games now.  The other encounter was during a TDY assignment to that very same bunch of Beltway Bandits and the Christians in Action located in the Washington Navy Yard, in a place that has since moved to a new facility but at the time was the "holy grail" assignment location for plebes such as myself and to go there was a real treat.  I had a chance encounter with a former army officer I had worked with in Germany that was now employed as a civilian contractor in one of those same CIA shops at this place in the Washington Navy Yard.  I was given a quick run down on what they were doing with imagery products.  Essentially it was taking the imagery, crunching it in to data that could be further crunched by the computers and the resulting product could then be used to make street views of places that were under observation.  Some of this was to support contingency plans for rescue of embassy personnel or for other more dangerous things such counter-terrorism.  The image products that were created by these folks were incredible back in 1987-1988 but pale in comparison to what we now consider to be normal screen presentations in most of your FPS video games.  Prior to this, most of the street views were done by having some guy with a camera take images of each location (a real hazard in some places) so having the ability to create a "street view" of a location of interest was definitely a real step forward on the ladder of progress.  We take a lot of this for granted now but before my encounter with this technology back in 87-88, laptop computers and tablets were still pretty much out of our reach financially and technologically. 

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2019, 07:00:24 AM »
A historical side note on 1988 laptops.

I purchased these two models for our air worthiness engineers at Transport Canada in 1988. Along with small dot matrix printer so they could print out certificates while on the road.

Toshiba T1200. Horrible little beasty.
MS-DOS 3.3 cpu Intel 80C86 speed 4.77 MHz. Ram 1 KB. Disk 2×3.5″ 720 KB. Harddrive 20 MB. Graphic LCD 640×200

Toshiba T3100. Much better.
MS Dos 3.3. Intel cpu 80286 speed 8 MHz. Ram 640 KB graphic 9,6″ monochrome orange gas plasma. CGA 640×400. Harddisk 20 MB. Disk 3.5″ 720 KB

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...