Author Topic: Soviet Railway Crash-Recovery Vehicle.  (Read 621 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Soviet Railway Crash-Recovery Vehicle.
« on: March 12, 2024, 07:16:49 AM »
You'll have to wait a bit while I finish off a previous model.  But what will this one be ??

Russia was quite adept at modifying obsolete armour to other civil purposes, the Czech Republic has continued this idea of modernising old vehicles too.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Soviet Railway Crash-Recovery Vehicle.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 07:55:15 AM »
Another older model that I never got past playing with the basic idea.
I started with a wrecked Tamiya T-62 kit & turned the hull around so the drive sprockets were now at the front.  I chopped the upper-hull up, putting the driving compartment back at the “front”.  In the center of the hull the former engine-access hatches are now two hatches for crew.

This left a large vacant area at the rear (plated over with plasti-card) for something else.  Small gaps were filled with Plastruct ladder bits as engine air inlet-ports either side of the rear hot-air grill.  The usual tank parts were added to the fenders along with bins from other wrecked tank models.
A base coat of lemon yellow & 3 coats of RAF Trainer Yellow is still not enough “solidarity” of colour.  However I think some grubby weathering will complete it as crews didn’t care about the vehicle’s looks.
The wheels are from an old Lindberg T-55 kit as they are simpler than other brands & seem right for a civil version.  This leaves the better Tamiya wheels (still quite simple compared to the real ones) for another conversion.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 07:56:52 AM by raafif »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 10:48:46 AM »
Nice work so far on your modified T-62 hull.  Swapping ends to get front-drive sprockets definitely makes for an interesting vehicle.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 10:58:16 AM »
That looks good! I wanted to convert my wrecked Tamiya T-62 kit into a civilian "bus"

Where's the engine in yours?

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2024, 02:17:17 PM »
Like the idea.

Looks to be nice idea space for the T-62 I have that has seen better days.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2024, 02:56:04 PM »
I think almost everyone has a trashed tamiya T-62, probably because they were such a nice kit in their day.

Sounds like a potential group build…

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 03:46:28 AM »
Thanks guys, I've got a crane part done but am still searching thru the old parts boxes for other greeblies to fit.  May have to incorporate other small models that I've scratch-built as a diorama.

The engine is in the rear as usual - it may have been modified to slide out to the rear for maintenance as access is now not very good.

I got this kit back in the '80's, very soon dumped the turret as it obviously too squashed.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 10:58:56 AM »
A bit more done ...

The crane is an Italeri 1/24th truck accessory cut down to suit & mounted on a round base.  The crane’s lower part is being used on another build – the engine is cut from Tamiya’s Marder.
Other bits like pulley-blocks are scratch-built using wheels found in audio cassette players.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 12:58:22 PM »
Your choice of using the Italeri 1/24th scale Truck Accessory Crane was a solid decision.  I came to the same conclusion years ago and sought out that same kit for the crane components.  Still have no plan for the crane but when I do I have the parts I will need.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
Soviet Railway Crash-Recovery Vehicle.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 06:43:29 AM »
Yippee !  The moderator has given me permission to join this group-build  :smiley:
Lemon Jello is the best Jello

Can someone move my tread from physical Land build to here ?
https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=11013.0

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 06:45:15 AM »
More work done - but still much detailing to do.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 06:46:18 AM »
What is that thing on the front ???

A buffer to push those pesky wayward wagons :D

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 07:35:12 AM »
Very nice! And your added buffer coupler was a great touch  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2024, 10:20:42 AM »
Looks great! The crane looks perfectly scaled for the tank.

I found the kit online (in the US) at Hobbylinc Italeri Truck Accessories Set II

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2024, 12:09:23 PM »
Yippee !  The moderator has given me permission to join this group-build  :smiley:
Lemon Jello is the best Jello

Can someone move my tread from physical Land build to here ?  https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=11013.0

As You Wish!  :smiley:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 06:02:32 AM »
Very logical use of this chassis.

Great Work

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2024, 06:56:51 AM »
Started on the two crew – modified old Tamiya German figures.  The first has green army trousers & “petroleum blue” jacket.  Orange hard-hat is the standard German forage cap trimmed down a bit.  The second figure is in overall petroleum blue clothing.
Petroleum Blue (Humbrol 145) is a Pantone standard & has been determined by the industrial clothing industry as the best colour for hiding stains on work clothes.

And a tool-box & a few home-made tools ...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 11:43:04 AM by raafif »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2024, 07:19:47 AM »
The second guy has run right out of his boots!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2024, 08:25:41 AM »

;D

Looking good otherwise. Your feldmütze to hard-hat conversion is particularly believable  :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 02:00:31 AM by apophenia »
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2024, 09:25:49 AM »

Thanks for the idea Kerick.  Had to cut his legs to fit inside.  Not jumped out of his boots but stepped in something nasty – didn’t want to soil inside his vehicle so took his boots off & will drive back to the workshop in his socks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 09:51:50 AM by raafif »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2024, 09:14:21 AM »

Thanks for the idea Kerick.  Had to cut his legs to fit inside.  Not jumped out of his boots but stepped in something nasty – didn’t want to soil inside his vehicle so took his boots off & will drive back to the workshop in his socks.

That will be some interesting weathering steps! I’ll be watching!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2024, 11:02:54 AM »
That's looking good! Are you going to put the welding equipment on the deck?