Author Topic: Stridswagn 103 S-Tank without main gun  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Stridswagn 103 S-Tank without main gun
« on: March 03, 2024, 09:27:47 AM »
The  recently acquired 1/35th scale Trumpeter S-Tank captured my interest last night while checking out the kit contents.  Being that this kit was one of trumpeter's first kits it is blessed with a low parts count. 

Other modeler's have built what-if subjects in the past based on the Trumpeter S-Tank so I am certainly not boldly going into unexplored territory but trying to create my own interpretation based on the S-Tank. 

My attempt begins with filling in the void in the hull where the main gun passes through the hull.  I placed a piece of scrap plastic underneath the void and traced the circumference of the oval shape with a permanent marker on to the piece of plastic. 

Next step was to rough cut the oval shape using my sprue nipper.  Once that was done I began sanding away everything that was not an oval shape. 

Repeated sanding with a coarse sanding board and equally coarse sandpaper finally got the shape that fit in the hull. 

I glued another piece of plastic scrap behind the void for strength and then glued the oval shape piece into the hole. 

I recall reading about some modelers having issues with the early Trumpeter kit and the plastic glue most often used for building models so I used my Tamiya liquid cement first and followed up with some Plastruct cement designed for ABS plastic.  So far it appears to be a good fit. 

Two attached images showing top and inside of the S-Tank upper hull with the now filled void. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Stridswagn 103 S-Tank without main gun
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 10:40:37 AM »
Nice work, Jeff  :smiley:  I'm interested to see where you're going with your gunless S-Tank  :D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 11:28:03 AM »
Plenty of ways forward with this vehicle.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 01:12:27 PM »
To ensure that the possibility of cock-ups are kept to a minimum.  I opted to assemble the rather anemic looking main gun barrel and the flexible gas turbine exhaust duct.  The turbine duct was a bit fiddly and one end cooperated while the other end did it's very best to self-destruct.  I attempted to use a small[ish] clamp to secure it and force the damned thing to stay together but that failed as the force of the clamp was far too much for the parts and the one end went sideways trying to split apart so the clamp was quickly removed and I resorted to finger pressure until the two parts set up and started to cure/dry. 

The gun barrel was much less problematic and went together as well as expected but it suffered from a case of extreme seam issues.  Much energy was expended in getting rid of the offending seams using sandpaper and a sharp knife blade followed up with some wet sanding and I set it aside to dry. 

I may bin the gun barrel after some additional deliberation but it also might find a new purpose elsewheres. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2024, 01:56:30 PM »
OK, a "gunless" S-tank ... with a gun!? ???

I'm guessing MGS but I could be wrong. ;)

I didn't have any issues with my Trumpy S-tank using Tamiya cements.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:08:05 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 06:00:59 PM »
Very interested to see where this one is going.  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 02:31:01 AM »
Yes, I too would like to subscribe to your newsletter...this is an interesting start and I am curious to see how it develops.

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 02:48:58 AM »
Very cool! Looking forward to seeing this.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 05:13:22 AM »
So what will this become  ???

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 05:15:01 AM »
OK, a "gunless" S-tank ... with a gun!? ???

I'm guessing MGS but I could be wrong. ;)

I didn't have any issues with my Trumpy S-tank using Tamiya cements.

No on the main gun.  I built/assembled it to do something while the other work was drying/curing. 
Added the image to show how "anemic" the main gun appears as it does not look like a 105mm gun barrel once it is assembled. 

The glue issues were bothersome but I prevailed and the gas turbine flexible exhaust duct finally went together but it was with some difficulty that it did. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 05:16:19 AM »
So what will this become  ???
A very lightly armed reconnaissance/scout vehicle is the current plan. 

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 05:22:21 AM »

Cool!  :smiley:

... the main gun appears as it does not look like a 105mm gun barrel once it is assembled...

Making for interesting possible (future) applications. An 'anemic 105' could be anything from a modern 76 mm to a 90 mm  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 07:35:04 AM »

The Russians used a small missile, could an S-Tank mount one fired from a bigger stubby barrel ?  Crew protected inside to re-load.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 08:26:10 AM »
The Russians used a small missile, could an S-Tank mount one fired from a bigger stubby barrel ?  Crew protected inside to re-load.
Have not given much thought to any kind of external missile mount of any kind.  The design of the Str-103 had three crew with the gunner/driver and commander/gunner facing forwards and a third crew member facing towards the rear of the vehicle for the purpose of driving the vehicle backwards/in reverse.  Dropping the main gun, ammunition supply, and loading/ejecting mechanics would free up a lot of space for other gear, equipment, stores, etc.  Space being at a premium in the original vehicle it might be practical to add in a rear access door where the loading ports and spent cartridge ejection port was located.  Installing a missile launcher on and inside the Str-103 could very well work with something like the French HOT ATGM system but that is a path I am reluctant to follow at this time. 

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 12:47:06 PM »
I’ve always liked the idea of an S tank without the gun and carrying ATGM would be interesting but this looks like a very interesting development. A 20 or 30mm gun heavy enough to take out an APC?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2024, 12:56:48 PM »
I made some additional progress on the modifications to my S-wagn.  The rear hull details for the ammunition loading and spent shell case ejection ports were removed with some casual and careful sanding under running water with a dab of dishwashing detergent.  After the initial sanding session I discovered that I had missed a small pot of the ejection port so another round and that too was done. 

With these details/features removed, I can now add an access hatch that will allow for crew access and egress.  Nothing fancy, most likely one of those extra hatches found in that AFV Club M151 RWS kit. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2024, 01:14:04 PM »
I’ve always liked the idea of an S tank without the gun and carrying ATGM would be interesting but this looks like a very interesting development. A 20 or 30mm gun heavy enough to take out an APC?
Hi Ken.  As much as I like the concept of adding a RWS of some kind, I am doing my best to avoid that.  I liken this what-if S-Wagn to a HMMWV type vehicle armed with small caliber light weapons performing a scout or reconnaissance mission.  What little internal space available is at a premium as it is so a basic load of 2K-3K rounds of 7.62X51 NATO and the MAG58/M240 GPMG is probably the most that this vehicle would be capable of carrying. 

With the space in back to hold other mission and sustainment items plus the crew of three (driver, commander, and go-fer/dismount-scout) the interior will be cramped. 

The one bit of kit on the S-Wagn that I truly like is the bulldozer blade at the bow of the vehicle.   :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 01:16:22 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2024, 01:48:45 PM »
I like this idea! You could go with an FN MAG for light defense, but for real damage in a small package, you could add a Mk 19 grenade launcher.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2024, 02:23:51 PM »
After some time to ponder the whole RWS thing it might work [for me] if I were to mount the AFV Club M151 RWS with a different commander's cupola that would place the M151 RWS forward of the commander in a configuration to how the M151 RWS is mounted on the M1126 Stryker IFV.  That would be the limit on any weapons upgrade to this niche vehicle with a bulldozer blade that is only slightly larger than an HMMWV.  : smiley:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2024, 09:39:38 PM »
After some time to ponder the whole RWS thing it might work [for me] if I were to mount the AFV Club M151 RWS with a different commander's cupola that would place the M151 RWS forward of the commander in a configuration to how the M151 RWS is mounted on the M1126 Stryker IFV.  That would be the limit on any weapons upgrade to this niche vehicle with a bulldozer blade that is only slightly larger than an HMMWV.  : smiley:

That's a great idea having the RWS in front of the commander's cupola similar to the M1126.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2024, 05:06:53 AM »
I like the idea of a post gun tank role.

The Bundeswehr Jagdpanzer Kanone became a ATGW platform and also an Artillery Observation vehicle.
Recon role would be just as practical, it was pretty quick. Battlefield Sensor platform could be another role.

Sounds like you are moving ahead quite quickly

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2024, 05:12:43 AM »
I like the idea of a post gun tank role.

The Bundeswehr Jagdpanzer Kanone became a ATGW platform and also an Artillery Observation vehicle.
Recon role would be just as practical, it was pretty quick. Battlefield Sensor platform could be another role.

Sounds like you are moving ahead quite quickly
Thanks. 

The JPK 90 and the companion RPZ (Jasguar?) armed with the SS-11 ATGM and later with the HOT ATGM were both rather small vehicles that would be comparable in size to the S-Tank.  The long slope of the frontal armor on the S-Tank really eats up any internal volume so what little that is left pretty much leaves few missions available for the vehicle once the gun is removed.  My take on this is a vehicle that would be able to make or clear obstacles with the bulldozer blade and also perform a scouting mission for perhaps some engineer unit that specializes in building bridges or river crossings. 

As for the moving ahead quickly, I am not going that fast as I really want to see definite progress in lieu of a cock-up.  :smiley:

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2024, 04:40:45 PM »
As they say, ‘slow and steady wins the race!’  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2024, 07:09:54 PM »
One of the main design points of Strv 103 was that it is a small and low target. They had some WWII data about hits on tanks. Hits high on a tank were more common than low hits. So, I'd be wary of adding structures that increase its height.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 05:33:49 AM »
One of the main design points of Strv 103 was that it is a small and low target. They had some WWII data about hits on tanks. Hits high on a tank were more common than low hits. So, I'd be wary of adding structures that increase its height.
You got that right!  :smiley:

The less is better path is what I am striving for.  Staying low to the ground/horizon means better survivability for a scout/reconnaissance vehicle.  The bulldozer blade might actually be quite useful for that purpose as it could let the S-Wagn dig into the ground to be less visible at a distance.

The rear hull now having been sanded smooth of the features now looks ready to have one or two spare Stryker IFV hatches added to it.  Was considering a single hatch at first but there appears to be sufficient space available to maybe give it a split access hatch using two Stryker hatches in a fashion to what is seen on the Merkava MBT.  One opening upwards and the other opening/swinging downwards as a ramp.  Too early to tell right now as I have to dig out an additional Stryker hatch to do some check-fitting.  The other option [if I can find the damned part] was a rear ramp from an old Tamiya Marder IFV that has been bouncing around in my parts pile for far too many years.