Author Topic: Canadair CL-41 Tutor  (Read 7940 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Canadair CL-41 Tutor
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2023, 09:18:15 AM »
And more:   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

Be fun to stand back aways and watch at model show like IPMS.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2023, 01:24:10 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2023, 04:42:07 AM »
Here's an idea for those who like a bit of fun; paint a Tutor in USAF colours, and a T-37 in RCAF or Snowbirds markings, and put them side by side on a show table. Count the number of people who notice nothing wrong, those who do a double-take, and those who descend into screaming fits. Extra points for video.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
+1

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2023, 07:52:35 AM »
I'm stealing those CL-41G pics! Even though I haven't the heart to BTS my Hobbycraft kit...I remain hopeful we'll see a 72nd version.

Wondering about a twin prop, overwing mount, Jaguar type landing gear, a Tucara. They'd be smallish engines maybe a King Air size?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 08:23:01 AM by Gingie »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2023, 07:10:19 AM »
I'm stealing those CL-41G pics! Even though I haven't the heart to BTS my Hobbycraft kit...I remain hopeful we'll see a 72nd version.

Wondering about a twin prop, overwing mount, Jaguar type landing gear, a Tucara. They'd be smallish engines maybe a King Air size?
Use the Astazou nacelles friin a Pucara kit, the Garrett turboprops from an Airfix Jetstream, or the PT6 nacelles from a Beechcraft 200 or 350.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 04:13:05 PM by elmayerle »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2023, 04:34:01 AM »
The VTOL Tutor that Carl ostred about back in 2018.

CL-41J VTOL Jet Trainer
In June 1961, preliminary studies were made by Canadair that were initially tailored to the NATO V/STOL
Supersonic Ground-Strike and Reconnaissance aircraft concept, to determine the merits of a highly modified
Canadair CL-41 aircraft design as a companion type VTOL jet trainer. The side-by-side seating configuration
would provide an ideal and efficient instructional environment, as had been evident with the successful tests
and demonstrations of the first prototype CL-41 aircraft. With a standard Canadian Orenda built J85-CAN-40
engine providing the forward propulsion,
an additional three Rolls Royce RB162 direct-lift jet engines, mounted inline vertically behind the cockpit in a
lengthened center fuselage, would have provided the VTOL capability for the proposed CL-41J. A louvered,
forward opening air inlet door would be raised to a canted position for the direct-lift engines’ operation during
VTOL flight, then it would be retracted flush to the fuselage for the cruise portion of flight. A variable exhaust
system on the underside of the aircraft would have controlled the vertical thrust vector. With four thirsty jet
engines to feed, additional fuel would have been required and that would have possibly been made available
by the addition of bladder tanks in the inboard sections of the wings and in the wing-to-fuselage side fairings.
Jettisonable fuel tanks fitted to pylons under the wings would probably have been necessary for any type of a
satisfactory training mission to be accomplished. It is not known how roll and yaw were to be controlled when
the aircraft was to be operated in the VTOL regime. Pitch may have been controlled possibly by modulating the
thrust of the forward and/or rear lift jet engines. 
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 09:12:27 AM »
Interesting! The RB.162 exhausts sound a little reminiscent of the 'eyelid' nozzle schemed by Avro Canada half a decade earlier.

A pity that there's no details on roll/yaw control. The drawing doesn't seem to show puffer nozzles ...
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 04:15:53 PM »
They'd almost have to be there, though, even if not very evident.  I could see a devleoped version adding tip tanks for better range.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2023, 05:10:26 AM »
I think these may be the puffer nozzles. They don't appear to line up with any of the position lights.
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2023, 06:55:29 AM »
Ah, thanks Jon. That makes sense  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2023, 07:32:42 AM »

Use the Astazou nacelles friin a Pucara kit, the Garrett turboprops from an Airfix Jetstream, or the PT6 nacelles from a Beechcraft 200 or 350.

Excellent! My King  Airs are en-route from Poland. In other King Air news...kicking myslef as an operational King Air 350 from CANSOFCOM ( 1 of 3) was landing at YOW and my phone was at home.