Author Topic: Learjet-262  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Learjet-262
« on: June 25, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »
This has been on hold for my "GreatModelling Dry Spell" and has now been resurrected. Thanks to Jeffrey Fontaine for this concept, from one he saw at a local show.

Bill Lear, in reality, used the wing planform design from the cancelled Swiss P-16 fighter. But, what if either the Swiss didn't cancel it, or got greedy for the data? Bill might have run into some former Messerschmidt people, and gone with a different wing instead:

Alvis 3.1

Offline Alvis 3.1

Re: Learjet-262
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:00:36 AM »
So, of course, you may ask "Al, what two planes did you sacrifice to make this?". And I would have to answer:
"Something terrible!"

Testors makes a Lear jet, as does Hasegawa. I have both in stock, but which one did I choose? Yes, the poor fitting badly executed Testors kit. Now, in 1/48, there are a lot of Me-262s to choose from, and which one did I use? Pegasus. While it isn't a bad fitting kit, it does tend to be a bit simplified (Landing gear are a tad "robust") and has the mounting for the rockets molded right into the bottom of the wing. Much sanding and shaving was required to get that large panel removed. Coulda used a nice Monogram 262, but nooooo.

Next time, I think I'd go with the Hasegawa Lear, and a Tamiya 262, just to spend the most money!

A work in progress, something I rarely post, but it might motivate me to finish it!

Alvis 3.1

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:29:09 AM »
Thanks, glad you shared some WIP images of this project with the rest of us here on the forum. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
Nifty and subtle; me likey!!!  8)  Thanks for sharing man and please continue to share progress if you'd like.  We certainly won't tell you to stop  ;)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:40:02 AM »
Excellent concept! Maybe a Lear/Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm joint production?
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
That would be a good idea, keep that darn Gates Rubber company at bay!

Alvis 3.1

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 01:50:19 AM »

This is what I'm thinking it'll look like. Thanks for the MBB angle, makes it a little nicer idea!

Alvis 3.1

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:23:40 AM »
Truly inspired, Alvis! This one will be great to watch!

Brian da Basher

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »
Beautiful aircraft and incredible design.  I love your premise,too. What would you have if he had run into some people from Bloum and Voss and gone with assymerity ?
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
Lol, that's an awesome idea! As cool as it would look, I can't see you getting any high powered business types into an asymmetrical jet, but you may have been able to sell the idea to idle rich rock stars!   ;D

Alvis 3.1

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 01:42:46 PM »
You are definitely on a roll her,my.son.  You have my.permission and blessing to procede ,post haste ...
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 12:42:12 PM »
Beautiful, Alvis.  And I used to work at Learjet and am familiar with it's "interesting" aspects.  Are you building it gear-up or gear-down?  I'm thinking that, even though both use tricycle gear, the mains on the Lerajet are a bit farther aft than those on the 262.  Still, it's a beautiful creation you have there.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 02:02:16 PM »
Amazing how it looks "correct".
Great build concept.  :)