Author Topic: 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader  (Read 3868 times)

Offline navairfan

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader
« on: June 12, 2016, 08:24:30 AM »
Here’s another one of my collection of US Navy MiG-killers, a 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader. The Hasegawa F-8 is by far the best kit in this scale, but it does have issues. There are bumps on top of the wings at the wingfold joint that need to be removed, and you can't drop the flaps without serious sanding of the inside pieces to get them to clear the fuselage. The cockpit is really basic, especially for a kit of this price, and needs at least an aftermarket seat to dress things up.
I tried to replicate a faded look by preshading with flat black over major panel lines, then lighlty applying the flat gull grey top color. I used the Aires cockpit and wheel well sets, and a Seamless Suckers intake – which had as many seems to fill as the kit intake. I also scratchbuilt a boarding ladder and steps, a standby compass, canopy restraint strap, and a few other cockpit details. The AIM-9B Sidewinders are from my spares box, and I used Quickboost afterburner scoops and pitot probe, and a few Eduard photoetched pieces.  I finished it in the markings of ‘Nickel 103′, an F-8E from VF-211 when deployed aboard USS Hancock during an eventful Vietnam War cruise. Cmdr. Hal Marr piloted this jet when he shot down a MiG-17 on 12 June 1966, scoring the Crusader’s first kill of the Vietnam War.The decals are from an Eduard sheet of F-8 MiG-killers, though more accurate markings of this jet are available on the excellent Furball Designs sheet of F-8 MiG-killers. .
All the resin aftermarket parts somehow threw off the fit – I had to do LOTS of filling and sanding on the fuselage seams, especially in the bottom of the fuselage, and I had to reposition the right main gear slightly to correct a list to starboard. I usually don’t use more than an aftermarket seat or cockpit, but I traded for this kit and it came with all these extra resin accessories, but they wound up causing lots of construction problems so I wouldn’t use them all again. Still, it was an enjoyable build of an attractive and historic aircraft.

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
Re: 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 08:34:20 AM »
Bravo Zulu on this Gunfighter!
He really DID lose his marbles!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
Yeah, what Eddie M. said!  Nice work and a very nice model of the Crusader.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:10:21 AM »
Yeah, what Eddie M. said!  Nice work and a very nice model of the Crusader.

I couldn't put it better but I just wanted to say how impressed I am with the realistic shading and your work on that burner can! A real beauty!

Brian da Basher

Offline navairfan

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:41:31 AM »
Thanks  to all for your comments!

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 12:57:20 PM »
Nice "Last Gunfighter" :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »
What a beauty!  :-*
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 03:34:15 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
Great looking model! Photos are superb too.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 12:00:20 AM »
Very nice work! :)

F-8 is up there in my top 5 jets, love it! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline DFZ

• Bitten by the Viper...
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 09:18:49 AM »
Excellent! :icon_alabanza:
"Stick and stones may brake some bones but a 3,57's gonna blow your damn head off!"