Author Topic: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine  (Read 5678 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: HMAS Buccaneer - A submarine
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2024, 01:31:11 AM »
Glossed this earlier today & did some pin washing tonight.

Tossing up whether to weather it like this:

Or like this:

But I'm trending more towards this:

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2024, 06:57:47 AM »
I personally like new and shiny myself.

Are you also going to build the Mammoet Self-Propelled Modular Transporter?

Mammoet finishes heaviest lift over a freeway Canada
We used them many times in our rapid bridge replacements here in Ottawa. 2,100-ton bridge.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 07:05:09 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2024, 09:40:49 AM »
I've gone for something between this:

And this:

So, very light weathering.

And, no, Carl, I'll probably just go for a basic stand & leave it at that.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2024, 10:50:33 PM »
Photo's later today (it being 0120hrs here).

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2024, 03:44:02 AM »
 :smiley:  :smiley:  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2024, 04:53:03 PM »
Well, this could be awkward; SmugMug is playing up! :-[

I'll keep trying, though! :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2024, 08:35:23 PM »
Right, got that sorted! :thumbsup:

SSBN-404 HMAS Buccaneer

In the late-1950's Australia, fed up with being treated as a useful place to test nuclear weapons without being "allowed" to join the club, denied the UK further use of its territory for testing of its nuclear warheads & the missiles that were to carry them. As the USA was explicitly against allowing any newcomers into the Nuclear Family & would offer no assistance, Australia took what information it had gleaned from its scientists, who had worked with the British & Americans on their tests, & developed their own power stations, enrichment plants, nuclear weapons & missiles. Initially somewhat inferior to those of their allies, by their third generation of weapons they had caught up in both yield & delivery performances.

Australia's first nuclear submarine, HMAS Woomera (possibly named as something of a snub to the British) was commissioned in 1964, & was armed with 8 Wiiny Dunha (Fire Stick) SLBMs & 6 torpedo tubes (4 forward, 2 aft). A further 3 of her class were built by 1970, alongside 6 diesel-electric hunter-killer submarines.

Australia was formally accepted as a nuclear power in 1973.

By 2020 the RAN were bringing their 4th Generation SSNs on line. This was the "modular*" Pirate-class**, designed to be fast & almost undetectable, & the first vessels to be powered by a magnetohydrodynamic propulsion system. The final submarine of the class was commissioned on the 11th of November, 2045.

The Pirate-class SSNs are divided into 3 sub-classes;

The largest number of vessels are of the Bushranger sub-class (HMAS's Bushranger, Highwayman, Outlaw, Brigand, Bandit, Blackleg, Hunter, Huntress, Stalker & Tracker), which are attack (hunter-killer) submarines, & carry a lot of VLS cells plus 8 torpedo tubes (6 forward, 2 aft). [Note: Brigand, Bandit & Blackleg could be considered a sub-sub-class, as they are fitted out for covert op's insertion, extraction, command & control.]

Then there are the Smuggler sub-class (HMAAV***'s Smuggler, Gunrunner, Bootlegger, Freebooter, Drummer, Merchanter, Trader & Courier) which have a large hump along the centre section of their spine used for carrying cargo, as they are submarine freighters designed to re-supply the other submarines & supply ground forces operating adjacent to heavily contested waters & where air superiority/supremacy has not been attained. They have a self-defence suite of two 8-cell VLS & 4 torpedo tubes (2 forward, 2 aft).

Finally, there are the Privateer sub-class of submarines (HMAS's Privateer, Buccaneer, Corsair, Seawolf & Marauder). The smallest of the three sub-classes of the the Pirate-class of submarines, they are the RAN's "deterrent" force of SSBNs, each carrying 16 Bullroarer nuclear armed missiles (similar in size & performance to the US Trident II) in a hump identical in profile to that of the Smuggler sub-class, two 8-cell VLS systems & four torpedo tubes (2 forward, 2 aft).

Here we have SSBN-404 HMAS Buccaneer, the second of the Privateer sub-class of the Pirate-class

« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:49:04 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2024, 08:37:14 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2024, 08:38:03 PM »

[*:  "Modular", in this instance, meaning that various modules could be dropped in during construction to become a permanent part of the vessel's structure, rather than be able to be swapped out once built.]
[**: Pirate was the prototype/test vessel of the class &, although commissioned, was never operational.]
[***: HMAAV = Her/His Majesty's Australian Auxilliary Vessel]

PS: I haven't taken any measurements, so I can't give you dimensions. I may try to figure some out at a later date.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2024, 08:47:00 PM »
Pirate-class submarine TORPEDOES

The Pirate-class submarines use 3 primary torpedo types;

White Shark:
Weight: something over 2,000kg
Warhead: 350kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 533mm (21in)
Length: 7.75m
Guidance: wire-guided, thermal-signature tracking, Advanced Passive/Active Acoustic
Propulsion:    gas-turbine pump-jet, solid-fuel rocket booster
Range: up to 75km at low speed (20-25kn)
Speed: up to 75kn on pump jet with the solid-fuel rocket booster providing a 25sec accelerating burst up to 200kn
Operating Depth: >1,000m

Tiger Shark:
Weight: approx. 1,800kg
Warhead: 300kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 533mm (21in)
Length: 7m
Guidance: wire-guided, Advanced Passive/Active Sonar
Propulsion: high-frequency electric pump-jet
Range: up to 50km at low speed (15-20kn)
Speed: up to 80kn

Bull Shark:
Weight: approx. 1,000kg
Warhead: 200kg PBX (Polymer-Bonded eXplosive)
Diameter: 320mm (12.5in)
Length: 4.85m
Guidance: Advanced Passive/Active Sonar
Propulsion: high-frequency electric pump-jet and solid-fuel rocket booster
Range: up to 25km
Speed: 50kn to 200kn

The White Shark & Tiger Shark torpedoes are primarily “offensive” weapons, used when hunting enemy ships & submarines.

The Bull Shark torpedo is primarily a “defensive” weapon, used to kill attacking torpedoes, but can be used offensively to kill attacking enemy ships, should the submarine be detected.

[Note: All information is partially speculative as details of all systems are highly classified.]

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2024, 03:46:16 AM »
Awesome!  :smiley:  :-*  :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2024, 06:04:01 AM »
Ayup !

Most Excellent :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2024, 08:59:19 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2024, 07:53:43 PM »
WWWOOOWWW!  :-* :-* :-* :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2024, 08:17:51 PM »
 ;D

Thank you. sir! :icon_alabanza: