Author Topic: Turret Ring Size Question - Stuart and Saladin  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Turret Ring Size Question - Stuart and Saladin
« on: September 27, 2022, 12:04:48 AM »
A question to anyone in the know. 

Would it be feasible to place a Saladin turret on an M3/M5 Stuart light tank hull? 

Just going off what I know of the Stuart kits in my custody and the Tamiya Saladin kit that is squirreled away in my storage locker and out of reach at the moment I can not imagine there being too drastic of a difference in size between these two turrets when it comes to fitting a Saladin turret to the Stuart hull. 

If the Stuart turret ring is that much smaller then perhaps the M8 Scott 75mm Howitzer Motor Carriage might be the better choice. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Turret Ring Size Question - Stuart and Saladin
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 10:23:41 AM »
Here's half of your question, posted on the.

M3 Stuart   1187 (mm, I assume)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2022, 11:08:07 AM »
M3 Stuart turret ring: 46.75" (118.7cm)

Unfortunately, after hours of searching I haven't been able to find the turret ring dimensions of the Saladin but it doesn't look to be too different.

"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 11:17:05 AM »
Same here - no info on the Saladin. The Saladin is 2.54 m (8 ft 4 in) wide and the M3 is 2.29 m (7 ft 6 in) according to Wikipedia, so the turret diameters should be close.- about 34mm for the M3.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2022, 01:02:11 AM »
One could possible get a crude measurement using the below drawings with dimensions - not the ring is visible in the top view:

CFBVs
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 01:17:58 AM »
Using that image I get a turret ring diameter of roughly 142cm (56")

So, actually, a fairly hefty 9.25" (23.3cm) difference.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:25:33 AM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022, 05:23:10 AM »
I should have checked the turret comparability between the M5/M8 hull and the Saladin turret before I shipped all of those Saladin turrets off to Old Wombat/Guy.  Now I really must get over to my storage locker and dig out that ancient Tamiya Saladin kit just to see if it will fit.  :smiley: 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 08:29:28 AM »
1/72nd scale kit sprue shot:

1/35th Dragon kit sprue drawings from instruction sheet:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2022, 05:00:07 AM »
Be right back

Offline Story

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2022, 06:03:28 AM »
Well, that was irritating - the TAMIYA Saladin box had three truck frames in it, while the TAMIYA Saladin collection was in a resin ELAND box.

Anyways, this is the turret from the later M113 FSV (so, nicer and better detailed) plopped onto a built /salvage M8 Stuart.

I'd say you're good to go, less any technical hickups of mating the English wiring harness to the American hull.

When I went hunting for technical specifications, I found this post which has a good point - engine deck clearance.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/alternative-history-armoured-fighting-vehicles-part-3.470632/page-317#post-23005630

The answer is easy enough - just build a spacer box for the turret race. Being a shot trap isn't going be such a big deal on such a thin skinned AFV.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:08:31 AM by Story »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2022, 07:41:27 AM »
I'm not sure why you'd want to as the armour on the Saladin is thinner than the Stuart, .5" vs. 1".
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Story

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2022, 08:00:00 AM »
I'm not sure why you'd want to as the armour on the Saladin is thinner than the Stuart, .5" vs. 1".

Depends on the hierarchy of trade-offs; ease of maintenance, ammunition supply and availability of parts vs armor thickness.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2022, 01:32:58 PM »
Just an idea on how to improve on the M8 75mm HMC by replacing the open top turret with something of similar size and capability.  Neither the Saladin nor the M8 have much room to start with so perhaps the kit bash with these two subjects might be worth exploring. 

The M5/M8 hull has already been modified by fitting the VVSS from a Tamiya Grant/Lee including the drive sprockets and bogey wheels.  So swapping out the turret was just one more option to consider for this what-if. 

Well, that was irritating - the TAMIYA Saladin box had three truck frames in it, while the TAMIYA Saladin collection was in a resin ELAND box.

Anyways, this is the turret from the later M113 FSV (so, nicer and better detailed) plopped onto a built /salvage M8 Stuart.
<snip>
I'd say you're good to go, less any technical hickups of mating the English wiring harness to the American hull.

When I went hunting for technical specifications, I found this post which has a good point - engine deck clearance.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/alternative-history-armoured-fighting-vehicles-part-3.470632/page-317#post-23005630
<snip>
The answer is easy enough - just build a spacer box for the turret race. Being a shot trap isn't going be such a big deal on such a thin skinned AFV.

Thank you for sharing the link and images.  I suspected the Saladin turret would be a simple drop-in without much needed to make it fit but it is always nice to see it before committing to the cutting of plastic. 
Other turrets under consideration are the DELCO turret from the LAV-25 (ESCI kit).  It fits the M5 Stuart without any real modification.