Author Topic: RAF Starfighter F.1, RAF Germany 1961-COMPLETED  (Read 7386 times)

Offline Aeroplanedriver

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
RAF Starfighter F.1, RAF Germany 1961-COMPLETED
« on: April 16, 2020, 02:58:59 PM »
Well...this was started two days ago in an attempted entry into the 40 Hour GB...I failed.   :(

So I'll post her here...Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C as an RAFG F.1 operated briefly from 60-62 to give the RAF a supersonic interceptor while the Lightning was experiencing 'teething troubles'.  It is in the same basic dark green over silver that the RAFG Gutersloh Lightning F.2 fleet wore simply because I like how it looks. 

Loadout will likely be 2 or 4 Firestreaks depending on whether or not they fit on the underbelly Sidewinder rails. 

Here is how far I got in 48ish hours. 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:18:49 AM by Aeroplanedriver »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: RAF Starfighter F.1, RAF Germany 1961
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 05:56:02 PM »
48 hours ... but you didn't "fail", you chose not to compromise your build quality to fit into an artificial time frame! :smiley: 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:38:44 PM »
If I'm lucky and work hard, I may be able to fail like this one nice day, too!  :-*

"RAF Starfighter" - this should be episode 1 of a miniseries.  :smiley:
Eagerly awaiting episodes F.2 til F.6.... 8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 09:41:38 PM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 05:17:39 AM »
Well here she is all done. 

When the EE Lightning suffered a string of accidents in flight testing it was clear service entry would be delayed until 1962 at the earliest.  Eager to field a supersonic interceptor the RAF turned to the Lockheed F-104 Lighting as an interim solution. In early 1960 the RAF ordered 34 F-104Cs and 10 two-seat F-104Bs.  The C model was chosen because it had that ability to carry a tactical nuclear weapon, though in practice RAF Starfighters were never used in this role.  The aircraft received minor modifications, primarily for the carriage of DeHavllland Firestreak missiles becoming the Starighter F.1. Fitting a Martin-Baker ejection seat was studied but in the end this was abandoned given the cost of modifications and the aircrafts expected short service life in the RAF. 

Two RAF squadrons operated F-104s, 74 Sqn and 92 Sqn.  The aircraft depicted served in Germany with 92 Sqn from February 1961 until replacement by the Lighting in early 1964.  It was restored in the 1980s and is currently on display at the Royal Air Force Museum.  Starfighters left RAF font line service completely by late 1965, but three two seat versions (T.2 in RAF terms) were retained until the early 1990s two at the Royal Aircraft Establishment and one at Empire Test Pilot's School. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: RAF Starfighter F.1, RAF Germany 1961-COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:55:13 AM »
Nice work!  You had mentioned in an earlier post that you wanted to use four Firestreaks, I was thinking ground clearance would be an issue with the pair that were intended for carriage under the fuselage.  Was this assumption correct?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Aeroplanedriver

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 12:34:11 PM »
Nice work!  You had mentioned in an earlier post that you wanted to use four Firestreaks, I was thinking ground clearance would be an issue with the pair that were intended for carriage under the fuselage.  Was this assumption correct?

They technically do fit, but to me they looked a bit close...not much clearance.  Decided on just the wingtip rails instead. 

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 01:03:37 PM »
Even with just two, it looks gorgeous!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »
Very, very nice job.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »
They technically do fit, but to me they looked a bit close...not much clearance.  Decided on just the wingtip rails instead.
Probably for the best.  As a point defense interceptor hanging around to dog fight was probably not recommended.  Besides his wingman needs an opportunity to launch his missiles.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 10:58:14 PM »
Sweet! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 03:40:32 AM »
Outstanding. :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 08:07:56 AM »
Was worth not rushing, its turned out really well. Lightning scheme  suits it  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 05:17:06 PM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 08:56:03 AM »
Came out great!  :smiley: Now do the other Lightning schemes....  8)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 09:47:57 AM »
Very nice  :smiley:  That green-over-silver Lightning scheme really suits the Starfighter (and reminds me a bit of one of the RCAF CF-104 schemes).
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz