Author Topic: 1/72 Blue Max Albatros with hand-painted lozenge  (Read 7005 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/72 Blue Max Albatros with hand-painted lozenge
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:50:55 AM »
While the iconic World War I film The Blue Max is widely known

Less known is the fact that the famous film differs quite a bit from the novel by Jack Hunter. In the book, Stachel survives testing the prototype fighter and meets Herman Goering. Being controversial, the future Reichsmarschall was written out of the film.

Little known is the original Blue Max shooting script ended with Stachel, now Jasta C.O., flying crucial mission against the Americans at the end of the war. He was given one of the last, apparently much sought-after Albatros D.Vs. "Take care of it! It's the last one you're likely to get!" Kogenluft HQ admonished him. If there'd been a sequel, they'd have probably given him an Eindekker.

Pre-production began in 1964 when the German firm of Bitz Flugzeugbau was contracted to build many flying reproductions needed for the aerial sequences. Of course, the first one Blitz Flugzeugbau made was Stachel's suped-up Albatros D.V for the finale.

Twentieth-Century Fox was pleased Blitz Flugzeugbau completed the Albatros replica in only seven weeks, but was less pleased with the lozenge pattern.

Because of a mis-translation, Blitz Flugzeugbau used a lozenge pattern that Twentieth-Century Fox thought was far too bright and might appear cartoonish on film. The studio also disagreed with the white fuselage which they thought was uncomfortably close to Goering's notably all-white aircraft. Blitz Flugzeugbau at least was able to get a better lozenge on later replicas, but they put the Albatros aside to be recovered later. Unfortunately, due to projected cost over-runs, to save on the number of flying sequences, the ending was changed to the one we all remember.

Blitz Flugzeugbau hoped the Albatros might be used in another film but it was unfortunately eaten by goats in a freak accident.

Today, the only evidence that there ever was a Blue Max Albatros are these remaining studio test shots.

Brian da Basher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/72 Blue Max Albatros with hand-painted lozenge
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:58:42 AM »
I've always been a big fan of the Blue Max and I always wanted to do my version of it. Lacking a suitable Pfalz in the kit stash, I reached for the next, best thing, the venerable 1/72 Airfix Albatros.

Isn't the box art fantastic? You can almost feel the prop wash, can't you?

Of course, what's inside that nice box is a little basic.

The pilot waving hello is certainly a friendly touch, but I didn't call to just say hello. Well of course I like to say hello. But my Albatros needed something I could pass off as a cockpit. This meant robbing some poor Spitfire pilot of his chair and cutting an instrument panel from card.

Once this was done, the fuselage was buttoned up and I focused on painting. I was dreading hand-painting the lozenge, but there was no way around it. Behold the famous Luftstreitkräfte six-color lozenge, done on installments.

These were done in acrylics, and I took perverse delight in using Royal Flying Corps PC-10 as the green.

The entire model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics and kit decals were used, except the S shields and fuselage crosses which were scrounged from spares. Rigging was done with thin wire and I added a radiator pipe bent from thicker wire.

I had a lot of fun building my Blue Max Albatros which took about a week from start to finish. I hope you enjoyed it and some forgotten history of this famous film.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:02:25 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:56 AM »
Really --- my cousin is in movie industry plus is model and military buff.  Must send this bit of movie history to him.
Thatz a great build :)   Your brush painting is top tier.   You survived the rigors of rigging and got it looking fine.  Add that to hand-painted lozenge and there is lotz of tedious building in this model.  Bang up job dude  :)

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:12:15 AM »
 :-* :-* :-*
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »
Outstanding work Basha!!!  :-* 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:13:27 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous bit of work, Brian.  A truly beautiful rendering of a complex color scheme.

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
 :) super great little plane ya got there! great job on the rigging and paint. did you cut the wire to size(length) then glue it ,or did you drill holes in the wings and pull it though?
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »
:) super great little plane ya got there! great job on the rigging and paint. did you cut the wire to size(length) then glue it ,or did you drill holes in the wings and pull it though?
Same question goes for me too.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:37:04 AM »
Same question goes for me too.

I'm really glad you guys enjoyed this one. The rigging is just wires cut to length and attached with glue. While I marvel at those who can rig properly by drilling holes and using just one length of wire, I don't have the patience or skill to pull that off.

I've got at least three more Albatrosses (Albatri?) in the stash, all bagged Roden Econo-kits. Not sure how they'll end out, but I welcome ideas.

Brian da Basher

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:01:34 PM »
what if Boelke  had lived hand still outscored  "the red baron"
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 12:56:21 AM »
Great job, Brian - the rigging looks great and I was going to ask you where you got the lozenge decals! The lozenges came out great; I'm surprised that you had painted them. I'm not sure I'd have the patience.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 05:12:35 AM »
That is some serious hand painting! Hope the goats got indigestion  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline John Howling Mouse

• The King Of Absurdia
  • Have vacformer, will travel.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 10:52:36 AM »
Realizing that jealousy is unbecoming, I will hopefully make up for it a little by at least being honest when I admit that I am green with envy!  The build, the paint-scheme and, yes, that damnable RIGGING that you claim is so easy.

Green with jealousy, I am.

----Yoda.
Saving the globe from plastic pollution one kitbashed model at a time.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57:27 PM »
Mighty nifty, Brian!   I've only built one Airfix WW 1 kit, a Hannover about forty years ago, but I remember the pilot and observer figures being very good sculpts for the time. Looks like the Albatross pilot might have come from the same hand.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 02:10:23 AM »
That lozenge is spell binding!! You made it look so simple! First class job all around :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 02:47:24 AM »
Hand painted Lozenge for the win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CSMO

• Don't need no filthy stinking airbrush!
  • Plastic Butcher, & Master of Three-foot Scale.
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 05:23:18 AM »
I love the color scheme. It kinda reminds me of Wonder Bread. Ya messed up. The plane in the movie poster has no wings showing. An eindekker? Well done G.A. Adios, Larry.
Field Artillerymen do it with a bigger BANG!

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 06:35:28 AM »
Love this! Great backstory, great end result and a great novel and film. Great work Bri - love the lozenge, too!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »
"Here comes the king, here comes the king, here comes the big #1..."

Very much looking forward to it!

Brian da Basher