Author Topic: C-97K AEW  (Read 2772 times)

Offline smeds

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
C-97K AEW
« on: August 04, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »
Here is one of my current projects. After being inspired by a pic on here I thought I would make a model of it. Mine is going to an RAF machine, probably finished in the early white over grey scheme and I'll more than likely be using some xtradecal Nimrod decals for it. Next on the to do list is fit the troublesome windscreen/nose. I have found if it is squeezed at the sides, it fits quite well actually. Progress is glacial though.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: C-97K AEW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:43:09 AM »
Do like the concept and picture.  :)
Will be watching for progress reports.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
This should be good, love the Boeing C/KC-97 series.   8) :-*
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:31:56 PM »
heres my attempt based upon the original document from 1944 re the 'AEW. C.97' from the PRO./TNA. at Kew ...

pretty much as per kit with a blanking plate over the flight refuelling position. I shaped new radar nose and fuselage fairings from tooling resin. The tail fin has been chopped too and there are a few little neodymium magnets under the styrene cover plates to facilitate a folding tail as originally fitted to the type (handy for transport too) ... something different for the club table (iv moulded the 'bumps' if of any help with your conversion ?)

cheers, Joe

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »
Is that in 1/72 scale Joe ?

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »
I've always had a soft spot for the C-97 and it'll be a lot of fun seeing how yours turns out, Joe!

The fairings look nice!

Brian da Basher