Author Topic: SA-5 APOLLO/SATURN IN RESIN AND USING AIRFIX PARTS IN 1/144 BY MARTINS MODELS  (Read 2641 times)

jetboy

HI,ive started this one as well,as im going to use the conversion set,not the full resin kit,as ive got an old saturn 1b by airfix,that needs repair,so im using that,

HI,thought id start this one,its the next phase of the pre-apollo flights,preparing the launch vehicles.This was launch no5,and it utilised all new fins,and a seperating upper stage topped by a jupiter missile nose cone,which made it very distinctive,this was the launch that president kennedy the day before he was assaainated,said with this we will have caught up with russian technology?.

This was the first flight to reach orbit.

martin,s models does a complete kit,or as im using a conversion set to use the Airfix saturn 1B Apollo 7 kit.the choice is yours?

Also the use of a jupiter nose cone on this flight inspired many jokes about it being extremely pointy?heres one with werhner talking to kennedy,about the rocket.?

heres the kit...

and major parts

im starting with an old kit,so ive got to take a few parts off,ie the tank cluster top,but if you were starting from scratch that would not be on,?

in all cases all the base fins have to be removed,

cheers Don

jetboy

hi,again....well here we are again....heres a few more to get up to date,,,,

because i started with an old kit,and taking parts off,i found that taking the tank top section off left the vertical seams on the tank sides s bit flexible,so i thought i better strengthen them whilst they are accessible,but  if you were doing the full resin kit,you wouldnt be doing this bit,so please bear with me?

so with fins off,and top off,these seams exposed.

so got some plastic in strips to support the seam

glued in posistion

onward,now all the kit fins are off,start putting resin ones on...

clean the fins up.

so thats the kit fins,which have to be removed

the  new fins are alternated,large,small,large,but you have to be aware where you start,because it will matter later on,also the kit base/engine mounts has to be moved more in line with the shrouds,as the kit posistion is wrong?

so this is what it looks like,now

and with the first upper stage on

parts left for the upper stage

so far

thats it for now,thanks for looking....cheers Don

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Thanks for showing...

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Way Kool !!!
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Nice work on those fins, Don!

Brian da Basher