Author Topic: Nieuport-Dassault ND-1000 of Escadrille Georges Guynemer 'Cigognes'  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

The Nieuport-Dassault ND-1000 was the last in a long line of Armée de l'Air combat aircraft that began with the the Nieuport 11 Bébé.

The ND-1000 was powered by a LeRhone Mistral XXXL turbo-prop engine and featured swept, biplane wings which gave it incredible maneuverability, even at high speed.

This fast, intimidating fighter was armed with 3 20 mm Hispano-Suiza cannon synchronized to fire through the propeller and two 30 mm guns mounted under the upper wings in pods.

With such heavy fire-power, the ND-1000s were able to take back command of the air over Amiens which led to the allies recapturing this crucial sector.

Time and time again, the ND-1000s were able to out-turn their Albatross D.MV opponents. Although many great fast and swirling battles were fought, the French eventually wrestled back control of the skies, forcing the Hun to retreat.

This victory and others would force the Germans to seek an armistice that was followed by the Peace of Verdun which ended the Second Thirty Years' War.

The ND-1000 shown here is an early plastic model kit depicted in the commemorative Escadrille N.3 'Cigognes' colors of Georges Guynemer's famous SPAD from early in the war.

This aircraft from the Georges Guynemer "Stork" squadron was the star of the Armée de l'Air's Victory Day fly-by where it made the crowd gasp as it looped the loop through the Arc de Triomphe.

Only a handful of ND-1000s survived into the 1950's and six still exist today, on display at various museums across France.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 01:42:44 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Nieuport-Dassault ND-1000 of Escadrille Georges Guynemer 'Cigognes'
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:06:39 AM »
This all started with an anonymous bagged kit that showed up as a gift from a friend (thanks a million, hamsterman!). It didn't even have instructions. I thought it was an eastern bloc re-pop of some flavor of Dassault Mystere originally made by either Frog or Heller but somehow I missed that the Mystere series didn't have shoulder mounted wings. It turns out this was actually a Lavochkin La-15.

Had I caught this before it was too late, I might've actually built it straight as the La-15 is a rare enough bird as-is. Oh well, on to play-by-play.

First up, I needed to fill in that huge intake so I could hang a prop on the end. A cast-off white metal Stuka wheel with an added hub did yeoman's service here. I also painted up the burner can and glued it on.

I was hoping it would stick out a little but once the fuselage halves were stuck together, it ended out being flush with the back.

Who am I to argue with the wisdom of some unknown eastern bloc kit engineer?

It actually looks better as designed. Score one for the commies I guess. 

One thing that didn't go as planned was the canopy. Whoever came up with that part obviously wasn't talking to anyone else working on this kit and there was no way to make it fit, so I replaced it with part of an F-94 Starfire tip-tank.

The same was true for the landing gear doors and after some wasted effort trying to get them to work, I replaced them with clear blister pack.

I put the kit wings on upside-down and filled in the shorter grooves for the fences. The long fences became gun pods with nibs of some nameless parts grafted on for the barrels. The lower wings were 1/144 horizontal stabilizers from a 757 (I think). Here's how it all looked before paint.

Speaking of paint, the old hairy stick was trotted out yet again and loaded up with a lot of Polly Scale SC Hopper Beige acrylic in an attempt to mimic that famous early W.W. I French clear doped linen color.

The canopy was tinted on the inside with Model Masters Insignia Blue and given a top coat of Liquitex acrylic gloss medium to make it shiny. Model Masters Steel was used on the cowling. Model Masters Aluminum was used on the inner turbine you can't see and on the prop blades.

The prop spinner was painted with Polly Scale Silver and Model Masters Jet Exhaust was used on the burner can. The guns were given a custom gunmetal mix.

Decals were mostly from spares, but the Georges Guynemer Escadrille N.3 'Cigognes' markings are from a Revell SPAD VII.

It took me four days to put this together and it went smoothly given the challenges inherent in an early eastern-bloc model. I'd like to thank Bill for sending me this great little kit. I couldn't have done it without you!

Building this model gave me an opportunity to reflect on the heroism and sacrifice that built today's modern world. So many brave men gave up their youth for our future.

Douaumont Ossuary Verdun, France

May the exploits of those such as Georges Guynemer never be forgotten.

Georges Guynemer Memorial Compiegne, France

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:48:31 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 01:42:37 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 05:28:36 AM »
Your swept-wing biplanes just get better and better! And love the «Vieux Charles» commemorative scheme  ;)

I'd never have guessed a main wheel inside the intake - great recycling! - but that 757 horizontal stab for lower wing takes the cake. It really does have a Dassault vibe to it  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
Much ingenuity overcoming kit issues and on to concept and building an example of rare ND-1000.
Leaves one thinking to write French museums for more information.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 11:45:48 AM »
Definitely Dassault vibe to the beautiful model and excellent backstory.  Would have to come up with an interesting side back story to explain the name change from Marcel Bloch to Marcel Dassault, but that's quite feasible to do.