Author Topic: Martin Baker MB6 Long Ranger  (Read 38294 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Martin Baker MB6 Long Ranger
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:44 PM »
Thanks Guy.

It's beginning to look like how I thought it might with a Sabre engine. My next one I'll do will have a Centaurus engine. Another I'm thinking of is a different Griffon installation, one like a Firefly Mk.IV as you can see on the port side of this F-82. The earlier Firefly I've read had a "standard" Griffon power egg (it had a beard radiator) so I can see this later cowling being one too. It fits the F-82 quite well.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 05:44:57 AM »
Have the nack for seeing right plastic surgery moves and doing them so well.
Final iteration of prop aircraft have a refined look that registers with me.  Not something easily put into words, but its here in your builds.  Is cool. 8)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:42:41 AM by finsrin »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 06:21:23 AM »
Thanks Bill, I really appreciate your kind words.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 05:06:55 AM »
Your MB6 is the very definition of sleek, Robert!

I just love watching the maestro at work!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 12:28:20 AM »
Thanks Brian ----

Anyway, I did another round of PSR, filling in all the joints where needed (not very good kit on the fitting of parts score). Once that was done got a base coat of paint on it. Still needs a bit of putty in a couple of spots, the paint shows up the spots quite easily   :-X

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:25:54 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 12:40:01 AM »
But I've decided to change the scope of it's operations.  Instead of it being a 'long-range night-fighter' I think I'll do it as a 'long-range night intruder'.  The idea now it would work very deep into enemy territory creating havoc for seemingly ""safe"' areas for the enemy.

So I got thinking of what it would need for weapons (apart from the 20mm's). I remembered something I'd seen in one of my books, Spitfire by Alfred Price. It was of a Spiteful which had a 180 Gal. center drop tank and also had four of what the caption said was "Triplex rockets with a 7.5" artillery shell for a war head powered by three 3" RP-3 rocket motors.  Just what the doctor ordered I think ----

So I decided to have a go at making them. These pics are of my 'practice' run at it but I need to refine it a bit. I had found some round styrene rod that scales out to about 4" diameter, it really should be 3 1/2" but this was close enough in 1/72 scale. I then found some round-ish sprue that scaled to about 8" diameter.

But what I need to know is what the length of a 7.5" shell is, it would be a British one though. But I can't find anything on the internet about it, there's a 7.2" shell but still no info on dimensions

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 12:41:53 AM »
I had also cleaned up the rear propeller, I had to add a small donut shaped spacer to the rear of the spinner and then fill in the gaps in front of the blades

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 01:32:15 AM »
The 7.2"/7.5" discrepancy may be attributable to an aircraft "expert" writing about an element of a subject beyond his field of knowledge (field artillery) or a typo.

I'm unaware of any allied artillery of 7.5" calibre but the British 7.2" howitzer was a common artillery piece & lots of ammunition would have been available; I'd go with that as your shell size.

Quote from: http://nigelef.tripod.com/72inchsheet.htm
Standard HE Shell Mk 3D
Length (less fuze): 35.07  inches (fuze probably added a couple of inches to the length)
Calibre radius head: 5/10
Body Diameter: 7.185  inches
Driving Band Diameter: 7.47 inches
Weight (incl fuze): 202 lbs
Explosive Weight: 28 lbs

http://nigelef.tripod.com/72inchsheet.htm
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:14 AM »
I just wanted to say it's always a treat for me to see your updates, Robert!

Your well-engineered builds are a joy to follow.

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 02:53:15 AM »
Thanks very much guys ----

7.2" it is then   :smiley:

EDIT:

So here's another question, was there only one type of 7.2" shell ?  reason I ask is now I've found a photo of a shell (albeit a model of one), I see that the shell has a separate bagged charge for the propellant. The photo of the Triplex rocket doesn't seem to show a shell as long as 35", it could be an optical illusion because the photo is quite dark and doesn't really show where the bottom end of the shell is. But it would explain why the rocket looks quite long if it has standard RP-3 rocket motors for a power source.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:20:27 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:35 AM »
Only the howitzer round, which came with bagged charges.

The only other option I can find for the warhead is from the US 7.2" Demolition Rocket (think Sherman calliope).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.2-Inch_Demolition_Rocket
http://michaelhiske.de/Allierte/USA/OrdnancePamphlets/OP1664/Volume01/Part02/Chapter05/Section04/Section04_13.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T34_Calliope
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 11:33:34 PM »
Triplex Rocket.1

To Guy's measurements  --- and it looks more like the photo now so the Brit 7.2" probably was the one. On top of that I had a re-read of the Alfred Price book ---- and it says 7.2   :-X  not 7.5 I thought I had read   :-[

Both the motors and the shell are a little bit bigger than what the scale should be. Couple of reasons for that, some round styrene I have matched one of the hole punches I have. So the motor diameters are about 4" and the shell is nearer 8"
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 11:38:04 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »
So, a mental typo. ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 11:40:49 PM »
Apparently    :-\

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2018, 12:14:38 AM »
Weaver (Harald) has found some photos of a Triplex RP that still exists. I need to revise where the fins go on mine.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2018, 12:38:01 AM »
Pretty good job, though, & the fix will make them even better! :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2018, 10:16:07 AM »
But I've decided to change the scope of it's operations.  Instead of it being a 'long-range night-fighter' I think I'll do it as a 'long-range night intruder'.  The idea now it would work very deep into enemy territory creating havoc for seemingly ""safe"' areas for the enemy.

So I got thinking of what it would need for weapons (apart from the 20mm's). I remembered something I'd seen in one of my books, Spitfire by Alfred Price. It was of a Spiteful which had a 180 Gal. center drop tank and also had four of what the caption said was "Triplex rockets with a 7.5" artillery shell for a war head powered by three 3" RP-3 rocket motors.  Just what the doctor ordered I think ----

So I decided to have a go at making them. These pics are of my 'practice' run at it but I need to refine it a bit. I had found some round styrene rod that scales out to about 4" diameter, it really should be 3 1/2" but this was close enough in 1/72 scale. I then found some round-ish sprue that scaled to about 8" diameter.

But what I need to know is what the length of a 7.5" shell is, it would be a British one though. But I can't find anything on the internet about it, there's a 7.2" shell but still no info on dimensions

Robert,

Your 7.2" artillery projectile is very close to 180mm (182mm and change) which in 1:72nd scale gives you some room to fudge things just a bit.  You should also consider searching for a suitable projectile by expanding your search to include 1:35th scale ammunition sets where you can find several types of ammunition for the 90mm or 88mm gun that might be ideal for your purposes.  The less detail, the better with the 1:35th scale subject as it needs to represent something else in 1:72nd scale. 

If the rocket motors on the Triplex are comprised of 3-3.0"/76mm motors then you should be able to use existing 1:72nd scale 3.0" RP shapes for the source of your rocket motors. 

Hopefully this assists you in achieving your goals. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2018, 10:19:44 PM »

Robert,

Your 7.2" artillery projectile is very close to 180mm (182mm and change) which in 1:72nd scale gives you some room to fudge things just a bit.  You should also consider searching for a suitable projectile by expanding your search to include 1:35th scale ammunition sets where you can find several types of ammunition for the 90mm or 88mm gun that might be ideal for your purposes.  The less detail, the better with the 1:35th scale subject as it needs to represent something else in 1:72nd scale. 

If the rocket motors on the Triplex are comprised of 3-3.0"/76mm motors then you should be able to use existing 1:72nd scale 3.0" RP shapes for the source of your rocket motors. 

Hopefully this assists you in achieving your goals.

Thanks Jeff  :smiley:  I did consider other scales for a shell head, thing is, I'd have to wait to order anything and I want to get on with this one.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2018, 03:48:51 AM »
Progress ---- I've got the main coat of paint on. I'll give it a sand down with wet&dry, then another final coat of Medium Sea Grey.  The disruptive colour for the top side will be something different though, not the dark green the night fighters got late in the war. I've got an idea which I'll see if it will work.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:54:15 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2018, 04:02:35 AM »
I've also made a discovery about the kit while I was painting it. AZ Models haven't included a radiator duct outlet --- even if the rear flap was in the closed position it would still have a gap for the outlet ----  ???

It should have something like this, which it doesn't.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »
I discovered that AZ had omitted the inner wheel bay doors too plus the shape of the bay at the wheel end of it is the wrong shape. I've had to rectify those two things.

Got some painting done with the idea I've had running through my head for sometime now.  After traveling at night while going on vacations, I noticed the way the ground looks like with intermittent clouds passing by, I thought it might be a good night fighter scheme to try. Anyway here's a few pics of the idea, I still have to wet&dry sand it and apply another coat but you can get an idea of it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:31:40 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2018, 01:04:45 AM »
I decided to leave the figures out (save them for other projects) so canopy is glued on, radiator exit door added and sorted out how I'm going to do the undercarriage and wheel bay modifications. In this pic you can see how the wheel bay should look like on the left side of the pic. You can see where I cut the tops of the u/c legs off, glued them into place and then drilled them out so I can angle the u/c legs forward. You can't do that with how the kit has the parts to go in.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:07:26 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2018, 12:45:42 AM »
Painting the main scheme is done

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »
And here's the RP's that are going on it.  I didn't have any Brit Army 'bronze green', but I think once a coat of clear vanish goes on they will look a little better.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2018, 07:16:08 AM »
All bits & pieces are now on and it's one it's wheels. Painting is done so just the decals to do, probably on the weekend.