Author Topic: Ford 14-A / 14-AT  (Read 1407 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Ford 14-A / 14-AT
« on: January 10, 2021, 11:01:34 PM »
Via the attached profiles dawn by John Lacey, I learned about the existence of the Ford 14-A /14-AT.

Source 1: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/ford-airliner-projects.21068/

Source 2: https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdWings/comments/bmdgzu/ford_14a_trimotor_a_1932_prototype_and_the/

One aircraft that probably should have remained a project was the Ford 14-AT (some say 14-A), the last of the Ford trimotors. Developed in relative secrecy, the blunt nosed Ford 14-A was an all metal monoplane built in 1932 by the Stout Metal Airplane Division of the Ford Motor Company. The aircraft had a wingspan of 110 ft (33.5 m), length of 80 ft (24.4 m), and was built to carry 40 passengers. Two 715 hp (533 kW) Hispano-Suiza 12Nc V-12 engines were buried in the wings, and a single 18Sbr W-18 was mounted on a pylon atop the aircraft.

The 14-AT tried numerous times to take flight, none of which brought success. Originally designed for Pratt & Whitney air-cooled radial engines (Henry Ford made the engine change), the heavy 14-AT would not leave the ground and was damaged in an attempt to pry it free from earth. Reportedly, Edsel Ford ordered the 14-AT quietly scrapped in 1933, without ever making a public appearance.

Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Ford 14-A / 14-AT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 12:15:12 AM »
With suitably cowled Pratt & Whitney engines, it might have had a chance (as I remember, they definitely had more power than any of the engines fitted).  Still, it strikes me as being somewhat underpowered with three engines.