Author Topic: Piasecki Airgeep What-If  (Read 391 times)

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Piasecki Airgeep What-If
« on: March 23, 2024, 12:10:59 PM »
Justa teaser for the moment and a place holder. 

I should have done this last year right after I acquired the replacement 70mm fan blades for this project/concept. 

What if the Piasecki Airgeep was given a second chance?  Instead of relying on the original mechanical drive train to power the propellers/impellers.  Why not incorporate hub mounted electric motors that would be powered by a generator driven by a gas turbine? 

Attached images of the replacement 70mm fan blades and the same fan blades residing in the body of the Glencoe Models Airgeep. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Piasecki Airgeep What-If
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 01:18:42 AM »
Go for it
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 01:32:44 AM »
Just about a perfect fit, and visually very effective. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. (And where did you order the fan blades from?

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 04:02:00 AM »
Just about a perfect fit, and visually very effective. Looking forward to seeing where this goes. (And where did you order the fan blades from?
From a guy in California via e[vil]Bay. 

This is the link to the fan blades at: eBay > 0toheaven > FREEWING 70MM 12 BLADE COUNTER ROTATING EDF IMPELLER SET (2 X +2.0KG THRUST)

I ordered two sets of LH/RH blades and the price was not cheap.  I guess that was one of the main obstacles in this idea was to accept that the fan blades were going to be the expensive bit if I were to go forward with this idea. 

The fan blades include a spinner which sticks out/up so far that it is foolish to include the things and the plan now is to just cover over the top of the fan hub and call it done.  Maybe a bump or something right in the center to cover the hole and serve as a maintenance access cover or something.  Too early to tell how this is going to turn out but the idea has been grinding away at me for quite a few years now.   

***Edit to add eBay link -- jjf
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 04:10:16 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2024, 04:45:26 AM »
Those fans look really, really good.  This project is off to a good start.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2024, 05:01:34 AM »
Wow - this looks great, Jeff! They make my blades look anemic. Maybe I should try to replicate this.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 05:37:56 AM »
Wow - this looks great, Jeff! They make my blades look anemic. Maybe I should try to replicate this.
If you do, I will be interested to see how you can modify the fans to be accommodated within the AirGeep.  Also consider me a customer if they turn out better than the commercially available fans.  :smiley:

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2024, 05:42:52 AM »
Those fans look really, really good.  This project is off to a good start.

The original idea for this was to combine two AirGeeps in a side by side arrangement and have a drive-on-drive-off platform in between to hold a HMMWV size vehicle.  The cockpits and passenger spaces would be covered over and the flight controls would be via a tethered controller in the front passenger seat of the vehicle being transported. 

This first iteration is to figure out how to attach the fans inside the AirGeep and to determine what needs to be done with the fans that will not have the huge spinners on top blocking the view.  The only way the spinners could be used is if this turns into a twin craft with platform in between. 

I may have to order another set of fans.   :icon_crap:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2024, 05:53:23 AM »
How about these: https://grabcad.com/library/fan-blade-38

There's also a 3D jet engine model that has a pretty nice first stage fan.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 07:21:53 AM »
Looks good but not as many blades.  Does the jet engine fan have the same number of blades?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 10:12:56 AM »
There's this model

The fan seems to have p[lenty of blades:

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 10:54:35 AM »
More blades = More better!  I like that fan much more than the first fan you posted. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2024, 01:10:09 AM »
There's this model

The fan seems to have p[lenty of blades:

Looks very much like a GE90:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 01:12:40 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.