Author Topic: 1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun  (Read 30381 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: 1/35 Special Forces figure with Minigun
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2019, 02:24:26 AM »
Indeed it is. And those palms were a great find. With posable fronds, every diorama should look distinct  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 04:21:44 AM »
Indeed it is. And those palms were a great find. With posable fronds, every diorama should look distinct  :smiley:

Thanks! I got the trees from a seller in Thailand.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 04:25:42 AM »
I actually started painting the minigunner figure. Only the khaki so far. Not too sure what camo I am going to do the uniform. I was originally going to do it in the OCP multicam but my painting skills are not even close enough to accomplishing that. I saw some Cross Delta multicam decals that I might try. Gotta be easier than painting it right?

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 05:35:46 AM »
I actually started painting the minigunner figure. Only the khaki so far. Not too sure what camo I am going to do the uniform. I was originally going to do it in the OCP multicam but my painting skills are not even close enough to accomplishing that. I saw some Cross Delta multicam decals that I might try. Gotta be easier than painting it right?

Nice work!

Good question on the painting vs decaling  :-\
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »
I have some decal camo that I'm planning on using soon ... but you'll probably get to yours before I do. ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2019, 03:18:37 AM »
I have some decal camo that I'm planning on using soon ... but you'll probably get to yours before I do. ::)

I don't have the decals yet. Still waiting for delivery.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2019, 03:26:07 AM »
While waiting on the multicam decals to arrive, I was doing some research on USMC gear and came across two photos on the USMC website.

The first photo of the US Marine in the desert MARPAT camo has his radio backpack in the US Army OCP multicam. Interesting combintaion. I have a 1/35 resin figure in a similar pose but with a bigger backpack.

I found a different backpack in my stash that is slightly closer to the one in the multicam. It has extra pouches on the sides though but will work and is close enough for me. The original one was already molded to the figure so I had to cut it off. The new one is test fitted with silly putty holding it on.

The second figure matches the pose in the other photo too so will do it in a similar manner.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2019, 08:30:26 AM »
Got some of the camo decals today. First two photos are of the desert MARPAT and the last two are of the OCP multicam. The sheets are smaller than expected. Looks like I might need a couple more sheets each.

I didn't get any modeling done today as it was the first sunny day in about 5 days. I photographed a Pileated Woodpecker nest near by. There were 3 chicks and the parents would take turn feeding them. This is the male shown with the 3 chicks.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »
In my experience with camo decals, you will need a lot of decal softener to get them to conform to the details on the underlying plastic. If you think x amount is enough, double it. Of course, test a small section first. Also, I used small strips and sections of decal; trying to get a large rectangle to conform to a leg or arm will drive you mad.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »
In my experience with camo decals, you will need a lot of decal softener to get them to conform to the details on the underlying plastic. If you think x amount is enough, double it. Of course, test a small section first. Also, I used small strips and sections of decal; trying to get a large rectangle to conform to a leg or arm will drive you mad.

Thanks for the decaling tips. The decals I have are from Cross Delta. I read they were pretty good laying down but I have no experience with these decals or decaling figures so I will test them as you said. I have to finish priming some more figures first and then also gloss coat them for better decal adhesion. I do have MicroSol and MicroSet as well as Solvaset. Solvaset will be a last resort if necessary. I also read to use a warm QTip and roll it over the creased sections to get the decals to conform better. I got a couple extra sheets coming in case I mess up. Thanks again for the decaling tips.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2019, 11:34:56 PM »
Told you you'd beat me to it. ;)

Offline Ramba

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
Told you you'd beat me to it. ;)

Not quite yet. I haven't done much lately. Lost a little bit of my mojo.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »
Not much done lately except for the backpack. The one in the photo that the Marine is carrying is a Thor backpack-mounted counter IED jammer. I found a smaller backpack in my stash closer to size and scratch built the antenna. Not exactly the same but close enough for me.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2019, 12:02:31 PM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2019, 09:09:17 AM »
I am going to give the decals a try pretty soon. I am going to try them on a Legend figure first as this particular figure doesn't have as many creases/folds as some of the other figures I have. The Solvaset will be a last resort and really hoping I won't need it at all.

The figure has been primed for two weeks or more so the primer is well cured by now.

Here it is after receiving a glossy coat. Will let it cure overnight. The vest actually didn't need a gloss coat as it won't get the camo decals. The vest, pouches, boots and gloves will be painted in overall coyote tan.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2019, 04:21:00 AM »
It took me 4.5 hours just to do the trousers. Roughly used only a 35mm x 35mm square so plenty decals left over to do other figures. I still have the arms to do but they are a lot smaller. Will let the decals cure overnight then give it a gloss coat over them and then a light wash to bring out the pockets and creases. The vest, ammo pouches, gloves, and boots will be painted coyote tan so no camo decals for the torso. The helmet and knee pads I think should be khaki.

It is a very long and tedious job applying the decals. I applied thin strips along the edges of where the seams would be on the trousers but the MARPAT is so fine that the seams just blended right in. Hoping a light wash will bring out some of the creases.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2019, 04:48:09 AM »
You have more patience than I for this kind of thing.  When I opened up the several Trumpeter figure sets I had acquired and discovered the camouflage pattern decals I packaged them all up and sent them off to someone else to deal with (you are most welcome Frank :smiley:).  So good on you for sticking to this and actually making the damned decals work. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2019, 05:31:34 AM »
Good job on the decals! 4.5 hours seems about right for the first figure. It goes faster if you do two at the same time. Did you have to use the Solvaset? Because the decals Jeff sent me laughed at anything weaker and even then, it took a couple of applications before they surrendered. I used a soft rubber pusher to get the decals to conform to the surface details.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2019, 06:20:51 AM »
You have more patience than I for this kind of thing.  When I opened up the several Trumpeter figure sets I had acquired and discovered the camouflage pattern decals I packaged them all up and sent them off to someone else to deal with (you are most welcome Frank :smiley:).  So good on you for sticking to this and actually making the damned decals work.

Applying the decals did take quite longer than expected but I think I made it harder than it should have been. While it was tedious, I actually enjoyed the process.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2019, 06:27:36 AM »
Good job on the decals! 4.5 hours seems about right for the first figure. It goes faster if you do two at the same time. Did you have to use the Solvaset? Because the decals Jeff sent me laughed at anything weaker and even then, it took a couple of applications before they surrendered. I used a soft rubber pusher to get the decals to conform to the surface details.

Thanks! No Solvaset was used. I only used the Micro Sol. It did take a couple applications of the Micro Sol for the decals to conform but I brushed it on lightly so I think if I used a little more I probably could have only used one application of the Micro Sol. I did a lot of little strips thinking they would be easier to control and would lay down easier but it just took longer. The Micro Sol helped a lot but next time I think I will try a little bit bigger strips to cut down on the time. I used a cotton swab (Q-Tip) and rolled it over the decals but not right away. I waited a little for the decals to conform so they didn't move around while rolling the swab over them. Will give it a gloss coat tomorrow then let that cure and hen give a light wash to bring out some of the creases and pockets.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2019, 06:36:57 AM »
That sounds like a good process. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you cut the strips to match the edges of the camo - folds and creases on a regular uniform will disrupt the patterns anyway, so I just cut strips wide enough to cover a leg or arm with 2-4 strips.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2019, 04:40:33 PM »
Love learning from others! Thanks, guys! ;)

Decal work looks really good, Ramba! :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2019, 11:53:24 PM »
That sounds like a good process. Sometimes it doesn't matter if you cut the strips to match the edges of the camo - folds and creases on a regular uniform will disrupt the patterns anyway, so I just cut strips wide enough to cover a leg or arm with 2-4 strips.

For the MARPAT the edges just blended right in. The pattern is so small it didn't matter if I aligned the edges or not.

I just did the trousers of the minigunner in the multicam and with that one you can see the edges if not aligned correctly. The pattern is a bit more noticeable on the multicam even in 1/35 than on the MARPAT.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2019, 11:54:27 PM »
Love learning from others! Thanks, guys! ;)

Decal work looks really good, Ramba! :smiley:

Thanks! It was a first for me and enjoyed it even though it took a long time. The results were worth it.