Author Topic: Airbus A310/A400 Un-prepared Airfield Airliner  (Read 45592 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Airbus A310/A400 Un-prepared Airfield Airliner
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2019, 05:07:50 AM »
Something else I just noticed in the photos, one of the light decals is missing :'(  and it doesn't appear to be in the compartment either   :-\

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #151 on: June 12, 2019, 09:53:11 AM »
Only you will know and paint hides a multitude of imperfections :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2019, 09:33:10 PM »
 >:D      ;)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2019, 11:02:59 PM »
No one will notice one mm difference. Only if you tell them! Looking awesome so far, can’t wait to see the paint!

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:01 AM »
Thanks kerick ----

Now it's a general clean-up, some PSR and what not ---

I had a look at the C-130 nose gear wheel bay door brackets, I'll do something similar but those bits are too small for what I plan.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 12:38:45 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2019, 09:58:42 PM »
Not much done this last couple of days, I'm hobbling around on crutches after spending yesterday at the hospital having re-constructive surgery on my ankle which was crushed in an accident back in '71.  I've got to keep my leg elevated so I'll spend the time working out how the nose wheel bay door/gravel deflector operating arms will look. I do have the C-130 door arms to get an idea and it'll follow more or less the same way. The gravel deflector on the 737 I went on was actually attached to the wheel axles and turned when the nose gear turned, my set up will be fixed to the fuselage though.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2019, 02:17:47 AM »
Best of luck for a speedy recovery, Robert!

I can bodge up an airliner or two as placeholders until you're better if it helps.  ;D

I hope you're back on your feet soon.

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2019, 08:50:29 PM »
I've abandoned the 'gavel deflector' idea for the front wheel bay door, the geometry needed for the arms doesn't work with the wheel bay on the model. I'll go back to the A400 style of doors instead.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:49 AM »
Not much done this last couple of days, I'm hobbling around on crutches after spending yesterday at the hospital having re-constructive surgery on my ankle which was crushed in an accident back in '71.  I've got to keep my leg elevated so I'll spend the time working out how the nose wheel bay door/gravel deflector operating arms will look.

The extent that some people will go to get out of finishing a job... ;)  Get well soon mate.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #159 on: June 17, 2019, 02:42:36 AM »
Not much done this last couple of days, I'm hobbling around on crutches after spending yesterday at the hospital having re-constructive surgery on my ankle which was crushed in an accident back in '71.  I've got to keep my leg elevated so I'll spend the time working out how the nose wheel bay door/gravel deflector operating arms will look.

The extent that some people will go to get out of finishing a job... ;)  Get well soon mate.

Thanks Greg, I'm going to try to get this done inside the GB time, but at the moment the ankle is swelling up big time (I was told it might do this) and I have to elevate my leg. Which makes it kinda hard to make models ---  ::)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2019, 04:09:58 AM »

Thanks Greg, I'm going to try to get this done inside the GB time, but at the moment the ankle is swelling up big time (I was told it might do this) and I have to elevate my leg. Which makes it kinda hard to make models ---  ::)

Well slightly off topic   ;D
Coming along nicely one week later   :-\

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2019, 01:58:53 AM »
This has not progressed very much at all these last few days, my mind is in a bit of a fog most of the time, something I was told could happen with the meds I was put on. Kills the pain pretty good, but then not much else gets done afterwards ----

I'll make an effort to get as much done as I can before the end of the GB though, this is a project I want to finish.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2019, 05:56:31 AM »
Go for it kitnut !

I'm keen to see this on finished.

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
Self first, models second, compadre!
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2019, 08:38:33 AM »
Fair comment, can't argue with that

Just giving some friendly encouragement

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
This has not progressed very much at all these last few days, my mind is in a bit of a fog most of the time, something I was told could happen with the meds I was put on. Kills the pain pretty good, but then not much else gets done afterwards ----

I'll make an effort to get as much done as I can before the end of the GB though, this is a project I want to finish.

I got off the opioids as soon as I could. They do mess with a person’s head after a while.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2019, 10:32:09 PM »
Thanks guys, I have the post-op appointment on Wednesday so hopefully I get some good news ---

Offline Robomog

« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2019, 05:46:19 AM »

Sage words from OW,  wishing you a speedy recovery

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kerick

« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2019, 12:14:38 PM »

Sage words from OW,  wishing you a speedy recovery

Mog
>^-.-^<

What they said!

Feel better soon!

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2019, 10:35:35 PM »
Thanks again --- I'll have to admit, even though the surgeon explained what he was going to do, and how, and what the aftereffects could be, I still didn't really know what to expect in terms of how I feel with it now -- it's been an eye opener that's for sure. And the surgeon wants to talk to me about an ankle replacement ----  :icon_crap:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »
The appointment went well, the surgeon was very pleased how the ankle has responded and recovered so far. I go to see him again in a couple of months.

On the project build side, I think I've nailed the blue colour ---- This is the result of the second coat I've trialed after sanding the first coat down then applying the second. I'll wet&dry sand it again and do another coat.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #171 on: June 28, 2019, 02:31:38 PM »
Looks close but it's a bit hard to be sure with a shaded vs sunlit comparison. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2019, 10:02:53 PM »
Yes, when I first started to do this project I wasn't working at the airport (YYC), I did lots of image searches and what you see in the photos is all shades, ranging from a medium or almost pale blue to a blue that's almost a black/blue. But Canadian North have a hanger/charter terminal at YYC and during my time there, had the opportunity to get very close to their aircraft due to the nature of my job. Close being as in less than 50ft away. The shade when you can see it that close is what I'm trying to achieve, it has a chrome finish to the blue which is more like the Humbrol French Blue with a very shiny finish. I actually have the exact paint code for it that the maintenance manager sent me after I had written to Canadian North to see if they had a colour chip I could use to get some paint mixed. Using the code would be the correct way to go but there was a problem, I could only buy it in 5gal pails, with a minimum of a pallet of pails   :-\  (not sure how many pails that would be). Even with my plan on building a couple of 1/72 737s that they operated to go with this build, I'd be lucky if I used a quarter of a pint for all three   ;D

Here's another photo of a real one
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:05:13 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »
Sometimes you just have to go with the Mk 1 eyeball. This has been a great project to see come together. I know the paint job will be great.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #174 on: June 29, 2019, 01:45:21 AM »
I was thinking it might need to be lightened up, but then I took it outside as we have a glorious sunny day today. Low and behold, it changed shade in the sun and looks just like some of the real world photos of the scheme. RESULT!