Author Topic: Anime - Gatchaman 1/72 project idea  (Read 3174 times)

Offline strobez

• Hmmm... That looks easy enough...
Anime - Gatchaman 1/72 project idea
« on: August 25, 2017, 02:39:04 PM »
Hi all.  Even though I've got more than enough projects to keep me busy, I recently got an idea to do a small(ish) project to scratch build the 5 or so vehicles from the ancient anime series Gatchaman (also known as "G-Force" and "Battle of the Planet") in 1/72.

while I've got some good ideas on how I'd build G-2 (the race car), G-3 (the mini tank) and G-4 (the motorcycle), I'm not quite sure where I'd start with the G-1 (jet plane) or Red Impulse (the even cooler razor-saw plane).

So I thought I'd turn the idea loose here and see what your bright minds come up with as a good base kit to start a scratchbuild from.

For those that don't know, the two main planes in question look like this:

And this:

They're pretty standard "cool aeroplane-shaped", so I think there's multiple ways to approach a p object like this. But I'd love to hear any bright ideas I can steal.  8)
Thanks!

Greg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Anime - Gatchaman 1/72 project idea
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 03:00:17 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Anime - Gatchaman 1/72 project idea
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
With that canopy, the G-1 definitely will require some scratchbuilding.  You might could acquire some raw material for the wings and intakes from a F4D-1, possibly with the intakes from a Hunter mixed in.  That peculiar side-by-side double-bubble canopy would take some real care to create though a part of single-seat F-16 canopies might be spliced together to get that effect; it depends on whether that's a single-seat or two-seat aircraft.

For the red one, the canopy and wings from a Su-25 look like they might serve as starting places.