Author Topic: Tilt-Rotor Aircraft  (Read 226921 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Tilt-Rotor Aircraft
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2014, 04:17:17 AM »
I presume the top-surfaces aren't really blue ... just an effect of the light ?

Have had some "interesting" goes at fixing WW2 colour pics where Luftwaffe yellow has appeared as RAF duck-egg blue !

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #276 on: December 22, 2014, 06:54:34 AM »
Definitely an effect of the light, the aircraft upper surfaces are in the standard USMC gray color.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #277 on: December 22, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
I didn't think the rotor arcs were that close to the fuselage?   It's an interesting position for weapons pylons.  Reminds me of the Rockets installed on the Coastal Command Liberators, which were also a cheek installation.

I just had a question pop into my head (don't know where from).  Can the V-22 lower it's nacelles to below the horizontal at all?   I can't really think if it would be any use, except for mid-air braking but I was just wondering...

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
I didn't think the rotor arcs were that close to the fuselage?   It's an interesting position for weapons pylons.  Reminds me of the Rockets installed on the Coastal Command Liberators, which were also a cheek installation.

I just had a question pop into my head (don't know where from).  Can the V-22 lower it's nacelles to below the horizontal at all?   I can't really think if it would be any use, except for mid-air braking but I was just wondering...
Yes, they are that close, it really shows when the V-22 is in "show pose" with the nacelles down and the rotors stopped in an "inverted-Y" position.

No, horizontal is as far down as the nacelles will rotate.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #280 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »
I didn't think the rotor arcs were that close to the fuselage?   

Yes, they are that close, it really shows when the V-22 is in "show pose" with the nacelles down and the rotors stopped in an "inverted-Y" position.

Like here:

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #281 on: December 24, 2014, 05:06:33 AM »
CanMilAir Decals has just released this decal sheet:

http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=194

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #282 on: December 24, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »

Now I DON'T have an excuse not buy a CV-122.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #283 on: December 24, 2014, 06:11:27 AM »
Nice decals for the 1/72 Osprey in the stash!

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #284 on: December 24, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »

Somewhat amused that the drawing is not taken from an accurate side view.  There's an "elephant ear" scoop" for the oil cooler on the upper aft outboard side of the engine nacellee that is quite prominent, but not seen in this art.  Still, the decals themselves look most excellent and add another whif possibility to the two Japanese schemes Hasegawa is producing.

Bell can but hope that all three comes true (some form of Japanese will, the FMS paperwork has already started).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:36:02 AM by elmayerle »

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
$23 for a 72nd scale sheet though...a bit spendy for some.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2014, 10:17:39 PM »
His sheets used to be quite a bit cheaper, but the GST crowd got interested in his sales ---

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
Another option for Canadian V-22 decals would be Belcher Bits. I have two of the Labrador/Voyageur sheets for this very reason.

I'm thinking of adding Raspberry Ripple and Fanta Can to the schemes I want to do on Ospreys.

Offline kengeorge

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #288 on: December 24, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »
That profile that CanMilAir Decals use looks very familiar, just can't place it though.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2014, 01:06:23 AM »
That profile that CanMilAir Decals use looks very familiar, just can't place it though.
Something posted here or on some other whiffing site?

Offline kengeorge

« Reply #290 on: December 25, 2014, 02:10:11 AM »
Not sure Evan, if it was on here or what if or anywhere else. I've done a file search and explored both websites and joy so far. It does look as if its either Xenia or Maverick's work but I honestly have no idea. It is, as I said looks strangely familiar. I'll look on some other files. Its either that or my mind is starting to go.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #291 on: December 25, 2014, 02:30:29 AM »
I checked my CAF folder and I have some of John's SAR profiles but he always includes his JL + Maverick inside a red circle outline.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #292 on: December 25, 2014, 04:14:40 AM »
Are you thinking of this one (from page 1 of this thread):

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #293 on: December 25, 2014, 04:16:17 AM »
And whilst on the same theme:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #294 on: December 25, 2014, 05:14:24 AM »
Simon (Mossie on The What-If Forum) has some very similar profiles of a Canadian SAR V-22

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #295 on: December 25, 2014, 06:08:16 AM »
Is the fuselage on a flatbed truck a mock up or an actual delivery? Looks like tour time for the big wigs.
A model done up this way would make a beautiful display on my shelf.

Offline kengeorge

« Reply #296 on: December 25, 2014, 06:11:37 AM »
That's true, although the image they use is cropped and facing the wrong way.  No Greg I have that pic all the way from Sept 2008 that's similar but not exact. Hmm, puzzling.

Anyway, in my search I stumbled across something, I saved a Wikipedia entry regarding Dale Brown's fictional aircraft, specifically the MV-32.

"The MV-32 is the advanced version of the V-22 tilt-rotor aircraft. The traditional propellers found on the V-22 are replaced by advanced jet engines. It fires navalized versions of the FIM-92 Stinger and has two cannon pods, with a 20 mm Gatling gun under the nose. The MV-32 has enhanced range and speed over the V-22 and is traditional used in Tin Man support operations."

So Jet lift?
Instead perhaps some form of Un-ducted fan? or like an extended/enlarged A400M / An-70 style prop?

Can the transmission handle more than three blades thereby reducing the prop/rotor arc?
Or attach the wing to a different fuselage.
Or even search through the whole thread an see what else had been posted.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #297 on: December 25, 2014, 07:34:16 AM »
Anyway, in my search I stumbled across something, I saved a Wikipedia entry regarding Dale Brown's fictional aircraft, specifically the MV-32.

"The MV-32 is the advanced version of the V-22 tilt-rotor aircraft. The traditional propellers found on the V-22 are replaced by advanced jet engines. It fires navalized versions of the FIM-92 Stinger and has two cannon pods, with a 20 mm Gatling gun under the nose. The MV-32 has enhanced range and speed over the V-22 and is traditional used in Tin Man support operations."

So Jet lift?
Instead perhaps some form of Un-ducted fan? or like an extended/enlarged A400M / An-70 style prop?

Can the transmission handle more than three blades thereby reducing the prop/rotor arc?
Or even search through the whole thread an see what else had been posted.
That Tilt-Rotor Shorts Sherpa is a wonderful idea! 

GTX' posted a fan-jet V-22 earlier in this discussion at this link: Reply #44, 20120107 from Greg T (GTX_Admin), Re: Tilt-Rotor Aircraft

Based on that idea I dabbled around with a jet engine (fan-jet) version of the V-22 based on a digital model I found at the SketchUp 3D Warehouse several years ago.  Since the model was derived from the work of another party I did not share it on-line.  I do have some screen captures of the model I made in an image gallery attached to my FB page.  Here are a few of the images that I uploaded to that gallery:

V-22 with fan jet units replacing the rotors:

V-22 with six-rotor blades instead of three-rotor blades:

V-44 Quad-Tilt-Rotor (QTR) based on a modified C-130 with V-22 Osprey counter-[contra-]rotating three-blade rotors mated to C-130 engine units:

Hopefully FB will cooperate and display the images
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #298 on: December 25, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
While the transmission likely could, the control linkages eat up volume like you wouldn't believe (I'm dealing with that area as part of the project I'm on and I have to be careful to stay out of the volume they rotate through).  I know there've been studies of dual contra-rotating prop-rotors, but I don't know of anything that progressed to flight test status.

I know the Bell tilt-rotor thread over on Secret Projects has a depiction of a Bell/Boeing proposal of the V-22 nacelles and wing mated to a Dash 8 fuselage with a sponson added, each side, for the main gear.  I intend to model that one, either in civil markings or in CAF markings.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #299 on: December 25, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

I know the Bell tilt-rotor thread over on Secret Projects has a depiction of a Bell/Boeing proposal of the V-22 nacelles and wing mated to a Dash 8 fuselage with a sponson added, each side, for the main gear.  I intend to model that one, either in civil markings or in CAF markings.

You'll need to extend the span on the wings. I know because I had one half built, Italeri V-22 + Hobby craft Dash 8, it died after a shelf collapse a couple years back.
 :-X
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014