Author Topic: Scale-O-Rama Glencoe Models 1/15th Scale Tires To 1/35th scale Tires  (Read 369 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Not wanting to waste good parts from the Glencoe Models 1/15th scale M274 Mechanical Mule kit, I decided to convert one of the wheels from the kit into a 1/35th scale by removing the five-lug nut rim that was molded into the tire and replace it with a rim from an AFV Club Stryker IFV kit.  The replacement rim is included in one of the Stryker IFV accessory kits so I had a few spare that needed tires.  The 1/15th scale tires appear to be almost perfect in size to the tires used on most 2.5-ton and 5-ton trucks (M35 and M54 series vehicles).  This was my second attempt at this as my first attempt resulted in too much material being removed the first time.  While it was a minor success the Stryker rim did not have a snug fit.  I set this project aside for several months to focus on other things and decided to try again last night.  This time I was successful and the Stryker rim has a snug fit in the tire. 

Four images attached showing the the original wheel/tire, Stryker rim, the converted tire, and the converted tire with the new Stryker rim inserted. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Scale-O-Rama Glencoe Models 1/15th Scale Tires To 1/35th scale Tires
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 06:55:57 PM »
Looking good there Jeff !

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:22:29 PM »
Looking good there Jeff !

What Bill said! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 11:44:16 PM »
That looks good, Jeff!

Those AFV Stryker add-on and M151 RWS kits are awesome, well worth the price just for the extra bits on the sprues.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 12:43:54 AM »
That looks good, Jeff!

Those AFV Stryker add-on and M151 RWS kits are awesome, well worth the price just for the extra bits on the sprues.
Yes they are an excellent source for some rather specific and peculiar bits and pieces.  The most satisfying sound that I have heard in years was the sound of the Stryker rim snapping into the center of the Mechanical Mule tire.  It was such a snug fit that I had to really push on it to get it free.  Now I have to craft more of the same to these very same tolerances that were achieved with "by guess and by gosh" and this will be another small win for me. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 06:07:50 AM »
Now the question is, what are you going to build with these new wheel combos?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 07:08:09 AM »
Now the question is, what are you going to build with these new wheel combos?
I am so glad you asked.  Not that I was looking forward to providing an explanation but I suppose it is for the better that I reveal some of the things I have in mind for these modified wheels and tires.  :smiley:

I realized there was a need for some decent looking wheels/tires for the Scale-O-Rama Glencoe Models M274 Mechanical Mule.  I wanted to make the Glencoe Mule 1/35th scale and in doing so it needs a better set of tires and rims.  Sizing the M274 down or is that up to 1/35th scale means you have a larger cargo platform with a much greater payload.  The actual M274 could carry a 1-ton load on hard surfaces and about half that when traveling overland.  So a 1/15th scale M274 scaled to 1/35th scale all of a sudden becomes a 2.5-ton cargo platform.  While the tires in the Glencoe Mule kit look to be appropriate in size for a 2.5-ton truck the rims are rather out of place with only five lug nuts per wheel, something more appropriate for a regular size automobile or light truck, definitely not for a 2.5-ton truck.  So a casual search through the spare parts bins and discovering that I was a bit skint on decent size truck tires and wheels left me with two options; make my own or outsource from one of the on-line stores that offer resin replacements which are getting to be stupid expensive.  Since I am not going for exact details, I felt no pressing need to spend more money when I had the resources at home.  Thus began the first attempt as mentioned above where I bored out the centers of the Glencoe Mule wheels a bit too much and had to set it all aside to give me time to get my head back in the game.  Measure twice, cut once instead of charging through and failing again.  While this Scale-O-Rama M274 Mechanical Mule is only in the initial stages of construction it was really bothering me with the wheel issue so I see this as a step forward with that project. 

Another project that is in need of some better wheels is a the Great Wall Hobby K44 12.8cm Towed AT Gun.  I recall seeing something very similar to the K44 at a Russian artillery test center many years ago on imagery that was called the "Perm Gun" (temporary name given for reporting purposes before formal designation was assigned).  While not quite an exact match it was close enough to the 12.8cm K44 to get the imagineering juices flowing.  The Great Wall Hobby K44 kit comes with the usual and very ugly wagon wheels that many of the WW2 German artillery pieces were fitted with.  I had to get rid of those wheels and felt no remorse in doing so.  This however, left me with a pressing need for replacement wheels.  So if luck is on my side, I may find a way to get some new shoes for the K44 that do not require purchasing some resin replacement wheels from some on-line store.  Fingers crossed that it works out. 

I have some other injected plastic wheels from an ancient Trumpeter VAB 6X6 clone that are absolutely horrible looking but they have that clunky/thick appearance that I am hoping will work out for the K44 project to turn it into a "Perm Gun" wannabee. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 12:26:48 PM »
Round Two with wheels and tires. 

This evening I worked on the wheels from the Trumpeter Chinese PLA clone of the French VAB 6X6 wheel AFV.  The wheels is slightly wider than the Glencoe Models M274 Mechanical Mule wheels which made it easier to work on.  I bored out the wheel/rim portion in the center of the tire to a diameter that provides a snug fit.  I have seven more of these to deal with and I am not sure if all the efforts are really going to be worth it.  I suppose by the time I have finished all eight I will have determined a use for the things.  I will say that I am happy with not having destroyed this first wheel from this batch. 

First image showing the original and modified parts with the AFV Club Stryker IFV rim. 

Second image shows the original and modified parts together. 

Third image shows the modified wheel again. 

Fourth image is a closer look at the modified wheel. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 12:30:00 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 01:20:44 PM »
That’s a nice combo of wheel and rim. Not sure about the tread pattern but I suppose it depends on what you are building. A little file or razor saw action would help get rid of the glue joint and give a continuous groove across the tire. Just thinking out loud, I’m sure you thought of that. How many of these Stryker rims do you have? I wonder if they would fit on some wheels I stole from some toy monster trucks? I might have some of these rims at home, I need to check when I get home. It could lead to a Mad Max survival vehicle!

Offline finsrin

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 06:34:19 PM »
Ambitious job Jeff.   Is rugged looking tire/wheel combo  :smiley:

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 04:40:30 AM »
Not much ambition, more like procrastination on my part for taking so long to getting around to doing it.  Something that has been on the to-do list for ages but always hesitant to take it on for fear of ruining it.  So far I am two for two on success, I hope to not cock this up so will be taking it slowly on all of these wheel/tire conversions. 

@Kerick:  Ken, good luck with your own pursuits on this.  Not having a workshop and a drill press kind of sucks so all of my efforts have been with hand tools and a hole-making device/tool that was intended for R/C car enthusiasts to cut holes in their car bodies.  It is handy but also quite dangerous if not held properly.  It can make the work easier but it can also ruin your efforts if too much rotation is used while working on the piece in your hand.  It also cuts fingers easily! 

Offline Kerick

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2024, 10:42:27 AM »
Do you have medium or fine round file that’s just smaller than the hole in the tire needs to be? Might be worth the cost if it prevents cut fingers. I know I don’t mind using hand tools for 98% of my model work.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2024, 10:56:38 AM »
Do you have medium or fine round file that’s just smaller than the hole in the tire needs to be? Might be worth the cost if it prevents cut fingers. I know I don’t mind using hand tools for 98% of my model work.

That file would need to be around 1/2-inch in diameter so, no I do not have a file of that size available.  I have been using sandpaper and alternating between my index finger and the conical aluminum protective cover from that hole boring hand tool. 

Attached images showing front and back of two more modified wheels with the spare wheel rims so you know that I have not "cheated" on my efforts.   :smiley:

Offline finsrin

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2024, 12:45:16 PM »
Gee Jeff,,,  you be the official wheel & tire guy for BTS  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024, 02:17:54 PM »
The angled shots, in the previous post from you, Jeff, really shows how good those tyres look. :smiley:

Just wondering;

Would it not have been better to maintain the Glencoe attachment method, or are you intending to upgrade the drive-train to match the Stryker attachment method? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024, 04:01:43 PM »
The angled shots, in the previous post from you, Jeff, really shows how good those tyres look. :smiley:

Just wondering;

Would it not have been better to maintain the Glencoe attachment method, or are you intending to upgrade the drive-train to match the Stryker attachment method? ???

That is an excellent observation and question.  I am not sure at this point how I will address the wheel/tire issues on the Glencoe Mechanical Mule since it is now a "scale-0-rama their is an opening here to perhaps beef up the drive train on the Mule with parts from a 1/35th scale military truck.  The Glencoe Mule has a very toy-like steering mechanism that was to be operated by an extended tab at the front of the Mule which was connected to the steering arms.  A very crude set up that I am not all that impressed with.  I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to that point on the Mule project.  As for these particular wheels/tires, I wanted to build the things so that I had "options" and would not be forced to spend more money on aftermarket bits and pieces.  Lord knows, I have enough of that stuff  already for many other projects and I thought it would be nice to save a bit of money while enjoying the mundane moments of the hobby. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 06:22:20 PM »
Well, I'll be watching the build thread with interest to see where you take it! :smiley:

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2024, 08:30:50 PM »
Great job on those tires. They look like they would be good for a sci fi moon rover vehicle or a 4x4 with a lift kit.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2024, 04:16:38 AM »
The Trumpeter tires certainly do look like candidates for some science-fiction subject.  Not really a lot to like about the things but they will serve as excellent "place holders" for establishing an idea of wheel placement on my Great Wall Hobby 12.8cm K44 Anti-Tank Gun that has a requirement for replacement wheels and tires to replace the wagon wheels that were in the kit. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2024, 01:55:32 PM »
Two more of the Trumpeter wheels converted this evening. All of this hand work is starting to make my hands a bit sore. 

Attached images showing the two modified Trumpeter tires still wet from the final wash and the second image showing the hand tool that I have been using to modify the wheels. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2024, 12:51:51 PM »
After a couple of days away to give my hands/fingers a much needed break I managed to get another pair of the Glencoe Mule wheels converted to take the AFV Club rims.  I believe that this will be enough for now. 

Attached image shows the two modified Glencoe wheels with the Stryker rims.   

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2024, 07:40:09 PM »
Progress! :smiley: