Author Topic: Danish Navy project HM-III 1937  (Read 24092 times)

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Danish Navy project HM-III 1937
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2019, 12:45:57 AM »
Cheers apophenia  :smiley:

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2019, 06:05:03 PM »
Hi y'all - been off modelling for some time but back in the fray!  :o
Started by finishing a French Groupe Dor Ju-88 flown during 1944-45 from Operation Dragoon - landings in southern France. Some 22 were used in total mainly for attacking the German pockets still resisting on Atlantic coast. Decals from the Italeri kit - this is the ooold Revell one.  ;D

And then began the Academy Mirage III C by converting the nosewheel to something more looking alike the real thing (pilot had to sacrifice his abdomen and connected thighs) and adding a burner can to obstruck view through the fuselage:

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2019, 08:37:10 PM »
I was just so sure untill an hour ago that I'd never go into Neverland.. I did it  :o

A very little work on the nosewheel which will see more.. some painting in the burner can.. and then the seat - the seat! I tried painted tamiyatape for harness; it just looked flat.  :-X
All sanity went overboard and I painted up some coated paper cut out strips; made a bendingtool from some scrap etch to bend some thin copperrod to go for buckles and a big black styrenedot for the centerlock.
I well knew that if I ever went into 1/48 or any other scale larger than 1/72 I'd end up doing silly stuff because of detail needed. I have done emergency seat rip-cords in 1/144. Crazy indeed. This is just silly. A decal or some painted dots works in 72-scale..

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2019, 09:46:35 PM »
Ah, a "crazy person", just the right place for him, really. ;) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »
Thanks Old Wombat!

Little work done on the Mirage
Tub almost finished:

burnercan in its place:

undercarriagedoors closed and guns fitted:

have to add an extra damper on each uc-main leg:

airscoops on fuselage opened:

Untill now stayed out of 48-scale; it calls for more detailling than 72-scale as so much more is visible.. not lazy as such but you just have to go the extra mile.. 72-scale lets you overdo stuff when necessary and leave out other bits due to being too small.. all right I've seen superdetailled 72-scale builds - not going down that route  ;D

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2019, 02:36:14 AM »
The Mirage have gotten some paint on and is closing in on decal stage as the clear coat cure I couldn't resist starting the venerable Airfix 1/72 Saab 37 Viggen Prototype. I have two the other one is stashed away to be mated to a Matchbox fuselage at some time.. perhaps.
Now I've almost shelved the Indian Viggen - sale was being negotiated but the US said no-no to re-export the DC-9 engine within it to India. Then yesterday I stumbled upon the part translation of a swedish book on the Viggen which at time were considered by both RAF of course re-engined and stuff and RAAF. Yeah it could have zipped through the skies down-under!
Now the RAF option no 1 would house a further developed RR Spey in what would look the Prototype fuselage i.e. no rear humb. YEAH! I would be able to use one of my Airfix's for this whif. Away we go:

First things first knock up a presentable tub - my traditional approach - use parts from the Heller FW190! Nice futuristic tub from which the sidewalls and instrumentpanel as well as stick was nicked to be mated to the Airfix seat which is sort of OK and then a piece of styrene for the floor; seatbelts of painted tape:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2019, 06:44:39 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
Progress on the Indian AF Viggen - not only the US no to re-export of an essentially civil airliner engine (tweeked by SAAB into something else) but also the lack of cannon and some avionics had the swedes to look at Britain once again acquiring some Harrier gun-pods and removing the RWR-antennae from under the outer main wing to be placed atop the tail. There had been a British proposal for fitting the gun into the central droptank rail but that was abolished at this early stage, though it would be used later on the JA37 Viggen when fitted with the Oerlicon ventral gun which would have attached a rail for the central droptank. Also in the end the placement of the RWR atop the tail would be reused in some way by the enlarged JA37 Viggen tail which was a development from the two-seater - though without protroudings. This arrangement freed up room for two more hardpoints under the main wing. Something cherished by the Indians now one of the fuselage hardpoints had been reserved the cannon.

Almost ready for weapons and undercarriage though the paintscheme will change slightly. Have a Cutting Edge decal sheet for non-Soviet MiG-29s. Will make for a rather colourfull aircraft once applied.  ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2019, 01:53:51 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the final result.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2019, 03:49:19 AM »
Paintjob almost done on the Indian Viggen and a coat of gloss varnish for applying decals. Canopy being held in place - the seat didn't want to cooperate and stay in place during the process of glueing.

Some ordenance being readied too.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
I like the look of that paint job!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2019, 10:33:06 AM »
I agree with Brian, that's looking spectacular.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2019, 03:10:06 AM »
Interesting.

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2019, 09:10:55 PM »
I agree with Brian, that's looking spectacular.

Think it was some special scheme for the first Fulcrums as show off of national pride and stuff. Colourfull as anything Indian and its getting worse once I get to get decals upon!  ;D

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
Making ready to put decals onto the Viggen here's a boring Israeli Mirage III C in early scheme - ze old Academy kit with a few addons in the cockpit, guns, burnercan and nosewheel:

Decals didn't like settling down so had to use a hairdryer and a few touchups of red.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2019, 02:38:33 AM »
Simple scheme beautifully rendered.

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2020, 01:27:43 AM »
I've always been annoyed at sticking things under wings with superglue - stuff only wants to set where it shouldn't or when you do have stuff in place - or so you think - the missile or whatever is slightly out of alignment with the rail.. tried white glue which is ok as you have better time to work the piece in place like right.
So I've come up with another solution - may have been tried before without documentation someplace in the wide modelbuilder world, BUT now I've been innovative..  :icon_meditation:
As is seen in the pic I drilled holes in the rails measured on the various items for arming the bugger and then used good old Airfix unguided British rockets which is a stable of many a WWII RAF kit. If stuffs out of alignment I of course have to sand down the pin and drill a new hole adding a new pin.
Besides all this innovation I've got time to finish decalling and add nose and main undercarriage. Moving forward..

Offline arctic warrior

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2020, 03:08:53 PM »
The Indian Viggen's done:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2020, 03:44:36 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2020, 06:25:29 AM »
Oh!!  That's very nice, indeed!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2020, 07:47:19 AM »
Very nice paint scheme.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...