Author Topic: Israeli B-51B Panther Build Thread - Yom Kippur War  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Israeli B-51B Panther Build Thread - Yom Kippur War
« on: January 19, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
Here's my first finished entry for this GB, a Martin B-51B Panther operated by 110 Squadron, "Knights of the North" of the Israeli Defence Forces, Air Force.  Click on the image to see it at 100%.

By the mid-1960s, the Israeli Defence Force/Air Force (IDF/AF) fleet of attack aircraft was in dire need of replacement.  Ideally, Israel wanted to replace its light attack aircraft with a single type and the heavy attack aircraft (Vautour and Super Mystère) with another.  While the IDF/AF eventually settled on the A-4 for its light attack requirement, the US proposed the Martin B-51 Panther for the heavy attack role.

Ironically, this was not the first time the IDF/AF looked at acquiring the B-51.  Ten years earlier, Israel signed a deal to purchase 24 Canadair-manufactured Sabres and an equal number of Canadair-manufactured Panthers.  The deal fell through as a result of the 1956 Suez Crisis, international pressure seeing the Canadians cancel both deals and accepting the aircraft into their own RCAF.  As a result, the IDF/AF was forced to acquire the Super Mystère and Vautour instead.  This both worked for and against the B-51B in the American proposal, many IDF officers relishing the idea of finally getting the aircraft they'd always wanted.  However, they were also keenly aware of the fact that this was 10 years later and they would be receiving second-hand aircraft that had already seen their best days.  The American proposal was quite reasonable, though, the cost per airframe for the large, refurbished B-51Bs being less than that of the new A-4s the IDF/AF also had its sights on.

The aircraft were reconditioned and delivered just too late for the 1967 Six Day War, some IDF pilots being in conversion courses when the war started.  Following the war deliveries promptly began, the first aircraft arriving at the end of the year.  Unlike the Skyhawks—which were sealed and shipped overseas—the Panthers were flown to Israel, refueling both in midair and at stops along the way.  The first unit to receive the aircraft was the 110 Squadron, "The Knights of the North", trading in their Vautours and transitioning rather smoothly.  The aircraft proved popular with the Israeli pilots, but many in Israel felt that the aircraft was a white elephant.  Indeed, compared especially to its stablemate, the A-4, the B-51 consumed jet fuel, spare parts, runway, and ramp space at a staggering rate with little apparent advantage in range or payload over the A-4 to show for it.  It wouldn't be long before the B-51 Panther would be called upon to justify the extra care it required.

The B-51 Panther would first see service with the IDF/AF during the War of Attrition.  During this period, the aircraft saw significant action with 110 Squadron, numerous aircraft being hit by anti-aircraft fire, but none were lost.  The vulnerability of the A-4 to both anti-aircraft fire and surface-to-air missiles was made apparent.  The B-51, by comparison, had armor protecting the engines and crew, had the redundancy provided by three engines, and had the tail surfaces placed well away from the engine exhaust.  Despite its size, the B-51 was considered to be easy to maintain, arm, and refuel.  Perhaps most importantly the B-51 Panther was very fast in a bomb run.  The enclosed, rotating bomb bay allowed the B-51 to take up to 8,500 lbs of bombs over a target at 550 kts drop it accurately at high speed, and get back safely.

The Panther saw its greatest combat with the Israeli Air Force during the Yom Kippur War.  In the extensive combat that the aircraft saw, a number of aircraft were lost to SA-2 SAMs, but the B-51's ability to absorb punishment from both AAA and SA-7 shoulder-launched SAMs was considered a great asset in the close air support (CAS) role.  Due to the mounting losses of all types during the Yom Kippur War, however, the United States authorized the immediate transfer of a number of F-4s, A-4s, and B-51s as emergency aid.  These replacement aircraft plus some additional purchases following the war allowed Israel to replace the Super Mystères of 105 Squadron completely after the Yom Kippur War.  These two units would continue to fly B-51s throughout the 1970s.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Israeli B-51B Panther Build Thread - Yom Kippur War
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:28:57 PM »
Here's the "build thread" for the Israeli Air Force Martin B-51B Panther entry for the Desert Warfare GB.

Now, I know the IDF scheme is "cheating", but I'd had this one planned.  Also, it was the standard scheme of that period...so I had no choice!   :-[

This is where it started four days ago:

Most of this is just a WIP based on a previous profile and I'm just using it to fit markings.  Almost none of the profile-specific elements will remain until the end.  I had to basically redo the itty bitty unit marking on the tail from scratch.  You really can't appreciate it at that size, either.   :(

Here I've gotten the right base layer for the scheme and added the detail markings that I needed back in.

Now it's starting to look like an IDF bird!  This is where I started trying to get the camo working.

The wing camo was probably the hardest part to do, but you can see I got that done along with the tanks and the engine nacelles.  Camo mostly done here.

Here I added some more standard markings I was missing and I redid the tank camo.

Calling it done!  Added some more markings, the most troublesome being the engine intake warnings.

I hope you all like it!  Let me know if there are any questions about any stage of the process.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »
B-51s are cool  8)
Great profile and story.  :)
Found 1/72 B-51 vacuform at swap meet.  Will try cheap-simple vacuform(s) before B-51 build.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 12:56:47 AM »
Neat!
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:55:54 AM »
I love these profile builds. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 05:27:04 AM »
Looks like another winner there Logan.  :)
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Feldmarschall Zod

• Kitbasher extroinadaire
  • I hope that's not the sound he makes...
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »
Logan.
Great art and story line for it.
Every time you eat celery,an angel vomits in a gas station bathroom. Tanks rule. I know the load is late,but the voices tell me to pull over and clean the guns.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:56:31 AM »
That's just killer, Logan! Looks a natural in Israeli markings. Truly inspired!

Brian da Basher

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:03 AM »
I like it a lot and it is a rare subject. Pleasant surprise!  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 08:02:09 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  I think it really turned out quite nice.  I loved the looks.

B-51s are cool  8)
Great profile and story.  :)
Found 1/72 B-51 vacuform at swap meet.  Will try cheap-simple vacuform(s) before B-51 build.

Thanks, finsrin!  I'd love to see a B-51 with one of my profile schemes on it, especially if the builder decided to make a B-51B with the modifications we've made to it!

That's just killer, Logan! Looks a natural in Israeli markings. Truly inspired!

Thanks, Brian!  I agree that it took to the markings beautifully.  I know "everything" looks good in those markings, but it does look very natural and plausible, as well.

I'll be trying to get another profile done for this GB before it's over, too.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »
I'm not so sure the scheme would look good on "everything".   I just can't see it on a Type VII Uboat ...  Might be one or two more things,too ???
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!