Author Topic: 1/48 Sea Beau  (Read 36970 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: 1/48 Sea Beau
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2019, 01:32:37 AM »
Wow!  :smiley:

Nice details in the wing fold. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2019, 03:08:49 PM »
Thank you two, too, 'Mog & Jeff! :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
That's coming along most swimmingly.

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2019, 09:26:47 PM »
Thanks, Brian! :smiley:

For those following the debate, I've gone with personal preference & chosen the few-long-slots version of the .50-cal cooling shroud. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2019, 09:36:12 PM »
Definitely very impressive detailing Guy  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2019, 11:45:02 PM »
I've just had one of those nasty little overlooked issues one sometimes finds jump up & bite my arse ... the .50cal is TOO BIG! :-[

I'm putting together a .30cal but the ammunition in the aircraft is obviously too large.

Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! :o

PS: Thanks, Robert! :smiley:

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »
I want, no, I need a tutorial on wing fold details.  That is some mighty fine work!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2019, 09:04:19 PM »
Light blue & DSG added to the build today. :smiley:

She's moving forward but I'm not sure if it's fast enough to have her ready by Saturday, for the Expo. :icon_crap:

I want, no, I need a tutorial on wing fold details.  That is some mighty fine work!

Thanks, LJ, but there's really nothing to it.

You look at photo's of the desired wing-fold type (S2E/G Tracker, in this case) until you start seeing it in your sleep. Then you cut your wings at the desired location & trace around all 4 cut faces onto thin styrene & cut. Remember to cut a millimetre-or-so inside the trace lines & bevel the cut faces of the wings because you want the plate to sit inside the wing, not on the end of it. You may wish to do 2 of each at this stage, so you have your inner plates sorted before cutting one of each into the internal wing framework - or you can do what I did, which is cut smaller pieces & add them as required. The rest is working out where the electrics, & fold & locking hydraulics go.

Seriously, it's more about research than anything else ... & having the balls to go blind & insane trying to replicate something similar in plastic.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2019, 12:01:13 AM »
Well, there ya go, 3rd camo colour on &, surprisingly, it looks good! :smiley:

Not perfect, mind, there are flaws to be fixed, but much, much better than I expected. 8)

I'll take a bit of time out to take a couple/few photo's tomorrow later today, after I've had a sleep. ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2019, 12:05:27 AM »
You are such a tease.  Making us all wait another day for the pictures.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2019, 08:42:42 AM »
Here you go, as promised, photo's!

A half decent look will expose the flaws but I'll be working on them today (&, hopefully, not ruining the work already done) before I gloss coat ready for the transfers which are "in the mail" & which should arrive tomorrow.

I'll, also, be working on the wheel bays, undercarriage, prop's, torpedo, etc, etc.

Thanks for being part of this! :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2019, 10:39:05 AM »
Sticking with ambitious and complex build and doing fine.  Keep up the good work.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2019, 05:31:46 PM »
Yeah, just coming together a bit too slowly, methinks, as I want it ready for the South Australian Model Expo on Saturday & I'm fairly sure it ain't gunna be.

Oh, well, keep plugging away & see how it pans out.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2019, 05:33:11 PM »
The paint is looking very tasty indeed.

Well, tastier than my breakfast.

Bachelor cooking, you know.
 :-X
Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2019, 07:15:41 PM »
Not sure if that's a compliment or a criticism, BdB!? ;D

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2019, 09:07:50 PM »
Coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing it completed with the wings folded.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2019, 09:37:00 PM »
Looks really good

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2019, 10:23:11 PM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

She's starting to come together properly, now! :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2019, 02:45:03 AM »
Looking good.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2019, 03:14:00 AM »
The inside details on your wing fold bits is still the best part of this whole project. 

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2019, 06:55:34 AM »
Thanks, gents! :smiley:

Transfers (decals) arrived today! :D

Unfortunately gloss coat didn't happen yesterday, so I'll have to get onto that straight away! :))

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »
Looking really good Wombat!!!!
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2019, 11:54:23 AM »
Thanks, Scran! :smiley:

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2019, 03:13:16 AM »
as I want it ready for the South Australian Model Expo on Saturday & I'm fairly sure it ain't gunna be.
Don't push it for a show! Can't tell you how many models I ruined that way. Stopped building to deadlines years ago. Much better on your mental health, for sure!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2019, 09:49:51 AM »
I'm not pushing it too fast, just doing it too long (according to SWMBO). ;)

I'm now less worried about "rushing to get it done stuff-ups" than I am about my regular "coming to the end of the build stuff-ups". :-\

Airbrushing "micro-colours" at the moment. You know, the tiny patches of colour that must be airbrushed or they look shite? Red, yellow, etc.