Author Topic: Panda 1/35 M-ATV  (Read 9188 times)

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
Panda 1/35 M-ATV
« on: December 30, 2015, 06:29:29 PM »
For my next build I'm going to tackle the Panda offering of the Oshkosh M-ATV, one of the sexiest modern vehicles in my opinion. And in a way is the descendant of the humble Jeep

From Wikipedia:
The M-ATV utilizes the Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement (MTVR) chassis and TAK-4 suspension with the Plasan designed armored hull developed for the Northrop Grumman/Oshkosh JLTV Technology Development (TD) phase proposal.[30] The V-shaped Plasan armored hull offers protection for the occupants from IED attacks while a central tire inflation system (CTIS) and run-flat inserts allow the M-ATV to travel at least 30 miles at 30 mph even if two tires lose pressure. The vehicle can also take a 7.62 mm round to its engine oil/coolant/hydraulic system and continue to drive for at least one kilometer. The Stat-X engine fire suppression system provides for further survivability.[31]

The Tak-4 suspension is coil sprung and fully independent, and offers 16 inches of travel. The M-ATV's roof mounted turret is capable of mounting weapons such as an M240 machine gun, a Mk 19 grenade launcher, an M2 Browning machine gun, a MILAN anti-tank guided missile, or a BGM-71 TOW anti-tank guided missile launcher. The roof weapons can be operated either from the turret by person or remotely inside the cabin with a CROWS remote weapon system. The M-ATV also features modern vehicle safety systems such as traction control and anti-lock brakes in addition to modern creature comforts such as an HVAC system and power outlets for charging portable electronic devices.[5] Unique among MRAP vehicles are the M-ATV's rear-hinged, aka, suicide doors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M-ATV

The Kit:

The kit has 8 large plastic sprues and 4 smaller ones. 3 frets of PE, 5 vinyl tyres, 2 sprues of clear parts and a large decal sheet.

Google will help you if you want to see each individual sprue.

Molding is quite nice but there are a lot of very tiny parts

Reviews of this kit have been mixed although I have seen some beautiful built up examples. The construction of the under-carrage is challanging I believe. And the interior is quite spartan so I've ordered the Pro-Art MRAP Radio set for it. And the Pro-Art MRAP stowage set just to add some extra bits in the back (pics when they arrive)

The decal sheet is quite large and seems to include a decal for the de-mist strips on the front windows an front door windows. It's a quite distinctive feature of the M-ATV and I was wondering how I'd recreate it so this is good news.

The decals all look very nice even with the macro lens.

Now for the actual build....

It's been hard work to get this done. Lots of cleanup on all the parts and everything has to be dry-fit first. In every single instance any hole for a piece to fit in was too small. Nothing fits correctly :(  I could not recommend this kit to anyone and it explains why it's so hard to find a build log other than Pascal Bausset's on Armorama

But I will persevere....I'm too stubborn not to having ordered ProArt bits also for it 

It's been fun 😓 but finally got the rear suspension done. That's taken about 3 good sessions at the bench

Now for the front....

Offline 35th-scale

Re: Panda 1/35 M-ATV
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:48:54 AM »
Doing the front wheel suspension I attached the frames to the chassis first and will now attach the springs, wish-bones, hub etc
Should allow me to pose them in a turned position where both sides match.....hopefully 😀

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:39:04 PM »
That frame looks like a Hobby Boss level parts count (and annoyance). Hopefully the rest of the kit won't be as much of a bear.
The M-ATV is a beast of a vehicle. It makes the portly HMMWV look tiny:

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 05:05:12 PM »
... and it explains why it's so hard to find a build log other than Pascal Bausset's on Armorama

Hi!

You have not been looking in the right places!  ;)

Please find below a build log of that kit I built a few years ago for a friend of mine:

http://forum.modelismo-na.net/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=21647

It is in Portuguese, but the pictures are universal. If you need any clarification, please let me know!

The kit is not great, but with some work and dedication we can achieve interesting results.

Good luck with yours!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 04:17:36 AM »
Something like this on a M-ATV would look cool:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:32:39 AM »
From the reviews Frank the underside is the most challenging....we'll see. Quite a difference in size compared to the Humvee and still only a 4 seater.

Thanks Antonio for that link.  Beautiful build and who needs Portugese when a picture says a thousand words 😀

Interesting concept GTX.....

Under-side done and thankfully sitting flush on the hubs. There weren't too many flaws in the instructions and the following pictures highlight some of them:

This early step might be better left until you are doing the front suspension if you want the wheels in the turned position. Was reasonably easy bit of surgery.

C7 & C8 are omitted from instructions for rear suspension but are on the sprues and have same marks for positions as front suspension.

Time to start on the top

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 03:46:09 AM »
The cables at the rear of the M-ATV are quite visible but not included in the kit.

So I decided these needed to be added.

Not exact, but better than nothing

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 05:19:15 PM »
Pro Art radio set arrived

And some more stowage bits

All very nicely moulded. And one can never have too much stowage.....

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 08:29:31 AM »
It's been a PE & Resin evening....not fun....but came out reasonably OK. Won't be very visable on the inside anyway but I couldn't leave those racks empty.

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 03:34:12 AM »
Apologies but I've been a bit distracted outside the hobby recently, lost the mojo and not making much progress on this. Bits here and there but not taking detailed photos or updating the build log. And trying to wire the radios nearly drive me insane so I gave up on that Mullarkey. Anyway here are a few pics that show some of the progress

It is a difficult kit and build but turning out quite nice. I have since starting gone and bought two more Panda kits 😀

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 07:20:15 AM »
Door, mirrors, aerials and wheels on. All decaled too so just a light weathering to finish

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 07:25:25 AM by 35th-scale »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 07:43:20 AM »
Coming along nicely

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 11:42:22 PM »
Thanks Mr Admin Sir! It's been slow going but finally on the home stretch. Filling up the rear cargo area with bits from the spares box. Value Gear, Pro Art, D-Toys, Meng, Trumpeter, Tamiya, Academy...lots of different producers represented

Lost the wiper blades so just need to scratch build them to finish

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
lotsa wow.. right there

Very nice

Offline 35th-scale

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
Calling this one done. A challenging build but very pleased with the result. Pro-Art radio set inside and lots of bits from the spares box for stowage. Main colour is Humbrol acrylic 237 and washed with AK OIF wash. All other colours are Vallejo acrylics.

And a view in the doors using a macro lens attached to the iPhone

Thanks for following and all the encouragement.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 06:32:53 PM »
Very, very nice! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 07:32:41 PM »
WoW!! Did I miss the memo on the invention of the Shrink Ray-gun?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 02:54:10 AM »
 :)