Author Topic: LF: Suitable Scale U.S. Navy Markings (40's or 50's) for Hughes HK-1/H-4 What-If Project  (Read 10906 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Does anyone know if there's any of the above available, for the glossy sea blue scheme
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:52:09 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Any particular aircraft in mind?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
Weeee-ll -- yeah!  a Hughes HK-1/H-4 Hercules ---------------- in 1/72 scale

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
So would I be correct in assuming you would be interested in something that allows a similar scheme to this:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Yes, like that Greg.  Only I was thinking no red bar in the star and perhaps the lettering would be in yellow (but it doesn't have to be).  I was looking on the web to see if there were any Tradewind decals available actually, but they might be a bit small, the Hughes will have a wingspan of 54 5/16" when built.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
1 am away from my stash for a couple of days ( the armed guards, dogs, landlines, SAMs, razor wire etc are all still there in case anyone has any ideas).  Once I get back I will have a look at what I might have...I suspect there might be something that fits.  If you could give approx decal sizes that you are after that might help me narrow things down and also ensure you get what works best.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Well the Hughes is twice as big as a Tradewind Greg, Length 218'-8" versus 139'-8", Wingspan 319'-11" versus 145'-9", Height 79'-4" versus 51'-5", if you have a Tradewind then that would give an approximate size difference.

I was thinking that some 1/32 scale stars & bars from a bomber would be about right but now I'm not sure.  I've measured the stars & bars on a 1/72 B-35 and 1/72 B-36, the B-35's measure 23mm across the circular blue disc, and the B-36's measure 20mm across.  So considering the B-36 is about a third smaller I would say I'm looking for something in the region of 28-30mm across the blue circular disc.  Lettering would be scaled accordingly.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Might be time to explore 1/48th or 1/32nd scale markings for your 1/72nd scale HK-1/H-4 Hercules.  There has to be something out there that will satisfy this requirement. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Yes Jeff, that was my original thought, find some stars from a 1/32 USN F-4U or F-6F if there is such an animal

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Funny you should post those Carl, just found the same ones while browsing the Big H's website, the Hellcat's anyway.

I also was looking through Flightdecs website a couple of days ago, but I didn't know which company would have any, and the search engine on the site isn't the greatest.

I've got a feeling I'm going to need a star & bar which is about 1 1/2" (38mm) across the circle for the wings of this model, but until the kit arrives I won't know for sure, I'm just planning ahead.

I've already got these parts for it a year or so ago.  The bottom pic is a comparison between the props and a Harrier, and I've just found that the props are as big in diameter as the props on the Airbus A400M
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:05:12 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues

If new is acceptable, I have had good buying experiences with Ebay sellers runforcover and rebelalpha.

I can also recommend these guys.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
Damn!  Just looking at that image of the engine, propeller, and Harrier and the first thing I imagine is how about eight Harriers (suitably modified without cockpits and tail) powering the Hercules? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
Man those are big props and engines.

BTW where are going to store the HK-1 once it is built?  Do you have a home extension planned or third floor? ;D

RE: Flightdecs: yes search engine is not the greatest and I have their stock levels inconsistent with the web levels.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 06:34:10 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
I've already got these parts for it a year or so ago.  The bottom pic is a comparison between the props and a Harrier, and I've just found that the props are as big in diameter as the props on the Airbus A400M

HK-1/H-4 Hercules with eight-blade propellers sounds absolutely wicked !

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Damn!  Just looking at that image of the engine, propeller, and Harrier and the first thing I imagine is how about eight Harriers (suitably modified without cockpits and tail) powering the Hercules?

Something along these lines below then, this started as my 'proof-of-concept' multi-Harrier-engined FTB (I've used two Harrier fuselages as nacelles)

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern

Been reading up on the HK-1/H-4 and even though it used the most powerful engine then being produced in the US (4000hp R-4360's) and used eight of them, it was grossly underpowered.  This aircraft has a fuselage depth that almost matches the Airbus A380, has a fuselage just a bit shorter than a Boeing 747 but was only powered by 32,000 hp.  Even if it had engines of twice the power I'd think it was a bit underpowered.  Keep in mind a pound of thrust is about 1 hp (according to a book I got from the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust), a 747 is powered by four 50-60,000 lbs thrust engines and the A380 uses four Trents which I think are around 80-100,000 lb thrust engines.

I would think the HK-1/H-4 needed six (or eight) Airbus A400M engines  --- with contra-props -----  ;D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
Something along these lines below then, this started as my 'proof-of-concept' multi-Harrier-engined FTB (I've used two Harrier fuselages as nacelles)

Yep, pretty much just like that but with six more of the same :)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Been reading up on the HK-1/H-4 and even though it used the most powerful engine then being produced in the US (4000hp R-4360's) and used eight of them, it was grossly underpowered.  This aircraft has a fuselage depth that almost matches the Airbus A380, has a fuselage just a bit shorter than a Boeing 747 but was only powered by 32,000 hp.  Even if it had engines of twice the power I'd think it was a bit underpowered.  Keep in mind a pound of thrust is about 1 hp (according to a book I got from the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust), a 747 is powered by four 50-60,000 lbs thrust engines and the A380 uses four Trents which I think are around 80-100,000 lb thrust engines.

I would think the HK-1/H-4 needed six (or eight) Airbus A400M engines  --- with contra-props -----  ;D

It would quite impressive with eight of the propellers from the A400M. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:42:51 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
BTW where are going to store the HK-1 once it is built?  Do you have a home extension planned or third floor? ;D

I've got a hanger  -------  :uuu:

just joking -- our home has a large basement where there's a very open space for a couple of display cabinets for my models. Each cabinet will be about 7'-0 x 3'-6" and from floor to ceiling (about 7 feet) and I plan on using glass from old patio doors (it's tempered glass) for the sides and shelves

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
Here's a pic of my 1/200 scale HK-1, it's wingspan is 19". That's 2" more than a 1/72 Lancaster.

For my 1/72 model of it, I'm thinking of a scheme like this Fireball in the bottom pic.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
How about a HK-1 with the engines from a pair of Tu-95s?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
I think that is what it needs Evan, maybe even 6 engines.  On Wikipedia it says it's M.T.W. was supposed to be in the region of 400,000 lbs.  Come to think of it, I've got an Antonov An-22 in the stash, I'll dig it out and compare the engine mounts, two engines are 30,000 shp, 60,000 shp sounds about right

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
Here's a pic of my 1/200 scale HK-1, it's wingspan is 19". That's 2" more than a 1/72 Lancaster.

For my 1/72 model of it, I'm thinking of a scheme like this Fireball in the bottom pic.

One better, would be to go with gloss sea blue for the entire aircraft and then paint the upper surfaces of the fuselage white.  But with that you would need the regular red,white, and blue national insignia unless you opt for an RAF Transport Command Scheme :)