Author Topic: Bovine Alien Abduction - Part One - The Pursuit....  (Read 11804 times)

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
Re: Bovine Alien Abduction - Part One - The Pursuit....
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »
Hi guys

Thanks for the comments!

I am glad you share my sense of humour. Sometimes "really professional" modellers tend to be annoyed by these little incursions
into this less noble area (according to them, I guess) of this great hobby. But hey, who gives a FFATM about them? :) :)

Sometimes I tend to be vey succint on my posts, so, here is a brief description on how the base was made:

1. A piece of roofmate slab cut to approximated desired shape

2. The borders of the roofmate slab were "texturized" using a hot wire styrofoam cutter. Just for kicks :)

3. A thin layer of Vallejo Grey Coarse Pumice Paste was applied with a spatula and flat brush to simulate the terrain.
If you cant find this paste near you, try to mix very fine sand with some sort of acrylic gel medium or any equivalent method.
There are lots fo different methods to skin this cat....

4. Some pieces of shredded cork were randomly implanted in the still fresh terrain, to simulate stones and rocks.
Again, if no cork available, real small stones and rocks collected in your local garden will do the trick!

5. Static grass (from Noch in this case) was applied also in random patches to simulate some short vegetation.
   Glued with white glue and aplied with the GrassMaster electrostatic applicator also from Noch, but you can use
   the puff bottle or a small sieve from you kitchen, and save the 100 Bucks:)

6. Everything was finally brush painted with Vallejo Model Color acrylics, and a final touch with Winsor&Newton oils.

And that's pretty much it :)

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 01:11:40 AM »
I saw some nice figures of Texas longhorns in the store the other day. Longhorn bull would give any alien second thoughts.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 02:34:42 AM »
 :)  Thanks for the detailed terrain creation explanation.  Much appreciated. :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 02:41:13 AM »
:)  Thanks for the detailed terrain creation explanation.  Much appreciated. :)

Goes for me too.   :)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 03:21:24 AM »
Thanks for the peek behind the curtain, Antonio!

I know Liquitex makes gloss and matte acrylic mediums with different sizes of beads in them. It wouldn't surprise me if they made one close to the size of sand too.
I've used their acrylic mediums to clear-coat decals and models. They clean up easy with hot water and soap.

So, what wonder will you amaze us with next?

Brian da Basher

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it