Author Topic: Right the Wrongs!  (Read 22214 times)

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
Re: Right the Wrongs!
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2013, 03:24:31 PM »
it's also possible that development of the CL-1200 concept would have been accelerated.

Agree!
For the efficiency gains and the over all cost of the CL-1200, it could have been a very popular fighter I would think!

M.A.D

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2013, 12:06:06 AM »
I've been tempted to Wrong the Right by building up a fabric winged Spitfire Mk.IX!   :o 8) 8) ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2013, 12:11:54 AM »
The F-104 was considered maneuverable?   I learn something every day.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 03:08:19 AM »
Yep, their loss rate for F-84s is actually far worse than that for the F-104. <...>

And it gets even worse when you consider the time span in which they were lost. The Starfighters were lost (300 out of 916) over a span of 30 years. They lost 145 out of 450 F-84Fs over a span of merely ten years (1956 till 1966)! The Sabre didn't fare much better, with 14 out of 75 Mk.5s lost in just 4 years of service and 43 out of 225 Mk.6s lost in 9 years.

When you look at the in-service dates of the F-84F and F-104 into Luftwaffe service (1956 and 1960 respectively), you have to wonder when that intermediate step was to have taken place. And what aircraft should they have chosen? The early F-100s were just as bad, for instance.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
I've been tempted to Wrong the Right by building up a fabric winged Spitfire Mk.IX!   :o 8) 8) ;D
Ah you could brand it an 'emergency' war adaption, due to the shortage of strategic materials getting through to Britain, due to the successful Luftwaffe & Kriegsmarine blockade (that's a righting of a wrong in itself ;))

M.A.D

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »
Wouldn't people just get chafed if I did that to the new Eduard kit upon release and used JEJ markings?!  ;D

But, just now it's not remotely close to being in the budget. 
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
Tsybin would get to finish developing the NM-1/RSR.  And Yakolev would get orders for the Yak-23 that would go to Africa and a few Eastern Bloc nations vs. the MiG-15.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
Regarding international use of the Arrow, I've seen documentation that the developed Arrow Mk.II was offered to GOR-329/F.155T and, in a modified form, to GOR-339, the TSR-2 spec.  Avro Aircraft and Cold War Aviation has Randall Whitcomb's interpretation from what he was able to find and from interviews with Jim Floyd, it shows the Arrow with long-range underwing tanks and an ASM resembling a scaled-down Blue Steel carried semi-recessed in the detachable weapons bay.   I've seen some other documentation that mentions that this proposal included beefed-up structure and skin.

Further note, one variant of the Arrow, with two Red Dean missiles in the weapons bay pack, is illustrated in Battle Flight.

Personally, I think that continuing with the Sparrow II was a mistake, the electronics of the time just didn't permit fitting that much capability into that small an airframe.  Heck, 20 years later, Hughes had a devil of time doing it with AMRAAM, though they finally succeeded.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 05:58:20 AM by elmayerle »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
One might consider The Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda GB as a perfect GB for these sorts of ideas...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »
Heres one, the Hawker Hurricane and Henley developed and deployed prewar as high performance monoplane replacements for the Hawker Nimrod and Osprey.  Sporting, arrester hooks, folding wings and suitably naval sounding names these aircraft could have had a very interesting impact on a number of engagements in the first half of the war, especially if the Henley retained its dive bombing capability.

On a related tack, the RN orders several repeat Ark Royals instead of the armoured fleet carriers and then follows them with improved, enlarged four shaft Arks.  Combined with the Hurricane / Henley then moving to Typhoon and a similar two seat attack variant latter in the war.

Are there any models of the Hawker Henley available?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:44:04 PM by Volkodav »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
Another one that just came to mind, IF when the RAF was formed it was given domain over strategic air power only, strategic bombing and reconnaissance, as well as national air defence against another power conducting strategic air operations against the British Isles only.  The Army and RN would retain their own tactical air power, develop and select their own aircraft, recruit and train their own personnel and perhaps most importantly have their own senior representatives, civil secretaries and possibility even (junior) ministers.