Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 906743 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #2225 on: July 05, 2019, 05:37:08 AM »
Last bit for the CleanBC theme ...

This is a hybrid turbine-electric Short 330 conversion. The E330 represented an extensive rebuilding of used Short 330 (or C-23 Sherpa) airframes. The original PT6A-45 turboprop engines were replaced by MagniX mag1050 electric motors. The upper fuselage was restructured with banks of Li-Ion batteries replacing the turbine 330's fuel tanks. The most obvious change, however, was in the new rear fuselage.

That replacement rear fuselage was based upon that of the longer Short 360 aircraft. But there was a key difference. Aft of the luggage bay was housed a Pratt & Whitney Canada PW210EG turboshaft. NASA inlets in either side of the fuselage walls would be opened to feed this turbine engine. The 1,100 shp turboshaft itself drove an electric generator able to supply power directly to the MagniX motors or be used to recharge the Li-Ion banks. As a side benefit, the PW210EG exhaust provided a modest amount of thrust.

The aircraft shown is in service with Orca Airlines. Another resuscitated airline name, this incarnation was a rebranding of Vancouver-based small carrier, KD Air. Still operating from YVR's South Airport, Orca flew scheduled flights to YAZ (Tofino-Long Beach Airport) and YQQ (Comox Valley Airport). Along with their distinctive 'Killer Whale' scheme, Orca Airlines aircraft each received an appropriate name. The name assigned to C-GORC was 'Namu'.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2226 on: July 05, 2019, 08:27:11 AM »
I've really enjoyed the Clean BC theme and you have an enviable talent for liveries which I imagine are quite difficult to get looking so realistic.

I thought I saw an article recently about a Canadian alt-fuel or electric/gas hybrid but I read so much stuff that sometimes I have a hard time remembering it.

It'd be fun to see you turn this theme on its head and do steampunk coal-fired aircraft too.

Great stuff and I bet you could sell prints of this theme like hotcakes!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2227 on: July 06, 2019, 02:19:37 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #2228 on: July 06, 2019, 02:24:35 AM »
Nice, and I have an Aeroclub 1/72 Sherpa in my stash --- hmm ---

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2229 on: July 06, 2019, 02:47:12 AM »
 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2230 on: July 06, 2019, 05:25:31 AM »
... do steampunk coal-fired aircraft too.

Oooo, tempting  >:D  Thanks folks!
-----------------------------------------------

This is one I didn't get finished in time for the Beasts of Burden' (Transport/Airliners etc) GB ...

The Curtiss 'Condor Monoplane'

The Curtiss Condor II biplane was immediately outclassed by the appearance of the Boeing 247 monoplane. As an expedient, the Curtiss-Wright board elected to produce a monoplane derivative of the Condor II. To that end, Don Berlin, the chief engineer of the Curtiss-Wright Corporation's Airplane Division, oversaw the design of a new set of cantilevered monoplane wings. Of metal construction, aft of the forward spar, these wings - and their ailerons - were cloth covered. Once completed, the new wings were applied to an incompleted AT-32D fuselage.

It was intended that production versions of the new T-36 transport would be metal-clad. However, to expedite the 'Condor Monoplane' prototype conversion, a cloth-covered fuselage and empennage from the AT-32D Condor II biplane were retained. The biplane's nacelled and undercarriage were also retained to keep development cost down. Powered by twin 720 hp Wright SGR-1820-F2 Cyclone 9-cylinder radial engines, the T-36 'Condor Monoplane' prototype proved to be a stable flier but somewhat slower than its Boeing rival.

The Curtiss-Wright CW-36E 'High-Altitude Condor III'

The 'Condor Monoplane' conversion had a comparatively short life-span, donating its wings and nacelles to an early pre-production series Curtiss AT-36 Condor III. The fuselage was then used to test out different cabin and cockpit arrangements. Later in life, however, the 'Condor Monoplane' fuselage formed the basis for a dramatic transformation - the CW-36E 'High-Altitude Condor III'. To become the CW-36E, the fuselage was gutted to accommodate a self-contained pressure vessel. This sausage-shaped pressurized cabin was nested within the original fuselage structure - or, at least, its lower and after portions.

The CW-36E fuselage conversion was mated with wings from a production series CW-36C Condor III (complete with rubber-covered de-icing strips and twin landing lights). The powerplants were uprated, Wright R-1820-45 Cyclone radials which produced 975 hp through exhaust-driven Curtiss-Wright TC-38A turbosuperchargers. The ultimate plan was to lengthen the CW-36E's wingtips to increase altitude potential even further. However, this never happened. The tempermental turbosuperchargers proved the 'High-Altitude Condor IIIs' literal downfall. On the CW-36E's second proving flight, the starboard TC-38A unit exploded.

Despite an inoperative, burning engine and the loss of some of the fabric covering on the starboard wing, the Curtiss-Wright test pilot was able to ditch the stricten CW-36E gently into Lake Ontario. Both pilot and flight engineer were able to evacuate the aircraft before it sank. Although a blow, the loss of the 'High-Altitude Condor III' provided Curtiss-wright with useful information on turbosupercharging and pressurization. The next design - the CW-20 Commando - would do without turbos but plans remained in place for a modest degree of cabin pressurization.

(To be continued ...)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:46:20 AM by apophenia »
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2231 on: July 06, 2019, 05:31:18 AM »
The lower one looks a bit like a flying bus.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2232 on: July 06, 2019, 05:53:37 AM »

Or a tram.  Proof that an excessive number of wings wasn't Curtiss' only problem in civil aviation  ;)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2233 on: July 06, 2019, 09:22:28 AM »
Interesting what-if with your usual gorgeous art.  I do believe, though, that it was the Boeing 247 not 249, that obsoleted the Condor II.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2234 on: July 06, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
Those cockpit windows in the first one give a little Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon look.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2235 on: July 06, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
Those are some great pieces of art and you could say the top one led to the Curtiss C-46 Commando and few would doubt it.

The bottom one is aces too and who hasn't wondered what a Condor monoplane would look like?

Outstanding and pure eye-candy! Especially the metal treatment and windows!

10/10 would fly again!  :smiley:

Brian da Basher

P.S. FYI the Transports GB has been extended two weeks until July 14th if memory serves.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2236 on: July 07, 2019, 01:33:37 AM »
Those cockpit windows in the first one give a little Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon look.
Flash Gordon, yes; but it's entirely too aesthetically appealing to fit in with the craft of the future depicted in the original Buck Rogers serial.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2237 on: July 07, 2019, 02:40:28 AM »

Or a tram.  Proof that an excessive number of wings wasn't Curtiss' only problem in civil aviation  ;)

Curtiss Scooter.

A streamlined REO pulling a Curtiss Aerocar.
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=148503

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2238 on: July 07, 2019, 03:53:48 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2239 on: July 07, 2019, 06:48:57 AM »
Thanks folks!

Interesting what-if with your usual gorgeous art.  I do believe, though, that it was the Boeing 247 not 249, that obsoleted the Condor II.

Fixed. Thank you Evan for your embarassingly necessary proof-reading  :-[

P.S. FYI the Transports GB has been extended two weeks until July 14th if memory serves.

Dang ... I missed Jon's extension post!  Oh well, snooze ya lose  :P

Curtiss Scooter.

Nailed it  :smiley:

Curtiss-Wright CW-36 Condor III Wrap-Up

Even before the pre-production Curtiss AT-36 Condor III' had flown, it was apparent that the obsolete fabric-covered AT-32D fuselage would need replacing. For the AT-36C Condor III, a new, stressed-skin metal passenger compartment was devised. [1] However, the Condor III retained its predecessors' fabric-covered wings and steel-tube rear fuselage. The most apparent change was an entirely new twin fin and rudder arrangement replacing the single-finned empennage inherited from the AT-32 biplane.

With all of its changes, the production model AT-36C Condor III was more stylish but such attempts at updates seemed only to draw attention to its less advanced features. By the time of the AT-36C's appearance, the Boeing 247D had been joined the even more advanced Douglas DC-2. Suddenly, the 'new' airliner from Curtiss-Wright appeared undeniably dated. The Curtiss-Wright board grew bored with the entire 'Condor Monoplane' programme and voted to cancel it. Resources would, instead, be directed towards a much more advanced replacement type ... which would later emerge as the CW-20 Commando.

With no firm orders for the AT-36C coming in from airlines, Curtiss-Wright offered the first five aircraft to the US Army Air Corps. The four production airframes were finished as CT-36Cs and delivered to the USAAC as YC-31A cargo transports. [2] The Curtiss demonstrator (AT-36C-1) Condor III airliner was rebuilt to VIP AT-36C-1AC standards to become the Air Corps' sole YC-31B. In the end, no airline orders were ever received and the fifth production Condor III would be the last of its kind.

Prior to the programme being cancelled, one  further attempt was made to attract the USAAC's attention. This result in the Curtiss-Wright CW-36D Condor IIIB medium bomber prototype. [3] With superior, all-metal Martin B-10 and B-12 bombers already in service, the compromise CW-36D failed to impress the Air Corps. Attempts were made to market the CW-36D to former BT-32 customers - Argentina, China, and Colombia. No orders resulted but, eventually, Colombia decided to buy the prototype 'Condor III Bomber' to fly alongside their in-service BT-32s. With that, Curtiss-Wright turned its attention away from bombers and focused on the design of modern trainers and combat aircraft instead.

[1] In the retroactively-applied Curtiss-Wright designation system, the Curtiss AT-36C became the Curtiss-Wright CW-36C. Properly, only the prototype and Curtiss demonstrator (NX9078) was an AT-36C model. The four production airframes were all finished as CT-36C cargo-carriers.

[2] These C-31 designations were odd one. The original XC-31 had been a single-engined Kreider-Reisner which the USAAC had quickly passed on to NACA's Langley Research Center. Thus, there was no relationship at all between the sole XC-31 and the later Curtiss YC-31A transport.

[3] Although always a St. Louis product, like the AT-36C, the CW-36D bomber was originally designated as the Curtiss BE-36D (though generally referred to as the 'Condor IIID').

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2240 on: July 07, 2019, 08:25:07 AM »
The bomber prototype reminds me of the Martin B-10 export version. If it had liposuction and a make-over by a professional stylist.

Very appealing indeed, especially the way you rendered the metal parts and the livery!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2241 on: July 08, 2019, 12:52:50 AM »
The bomber prototype reminds me of the Martin B-10 export version. If it had liposuction and a make-over by a professional stylist.

Agreed

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2242 on: July 11, 2019, 06:18:16 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2243 on: July 12, 2019, 04:59:38 AM »
My next notion was prompted in part by an early concept drawing of the Ju 288 (attached below). That drawing appears to show a near-standard Ju 88 tailplane (or at least fin and rudder). The drawing shows defensive and offensive armament positions. The latter show three rows of large-calibre bombs in the long bomb bay. The former consist of twin MG 81Z-armed remotely-controlled barbettes and what looks like two fixed MG 81 machine guns in the nose [now confirmed].

For the copy I have, the drawing's quality is poor. The top line of the caption beneath the cockpit seems to read "2 MG 81 Starr" or '2 inflexible MG 81' (the bottom line of this caption is anyone's guess). So, whereas the barbette guns make good use of the MG 81Z's compact arrangement, the fixed nose guns are single guns (as opposed to Zwillings). I'm assuming this means one gun on either side of the nose ... but it's hard to be sure.

Anyway, this drawing shows a concept still some way from being the realized Ju 288. The RW armament and crew arrangements still needed to be refined. But that '88-style tail (along with Greg's posted images of Ju 88 prototype modified to test Ju 288-style fuselage noses) got me thinking about a fairly radical revision of the Ju 88 to act as gap-filler between the existing schnellbomber and Junkers' submission for the Bomber B Programm.

(To be continued)

[Added] Another variation on that drawing is captioned: "Ein frühes Projekt der Ju 288 (EF-74?) mit Höhen-Dieselmotoren Jumo 223 für den Langstreckeneinsatz." (An early project of the Ju 288 (EF-74?) With high-altitude [1,650 ps] Jumo 223 diesel engines for long-distance use.)

A slightly later section drawing shows the rounded twin tails later introduced by Hans Wocke.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:55:36 AM by apophenia »

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2244 on: July 13, 2019, 04:57:20 AM »
The Bomber C Programm - An Interim Gap-Filler for Bomber B

The Ju 188 was designed as a replacement for both the Ju 86G-1 and He 111H series medium bombers. Initially known by an internal designation EF 79, the impetus for the Ju 188 was the Dessau design office's certain knowledge that completion of their complex EF 73/Ju 288A to meet the Bomber B Programm would take longer than expected. [1] As potential supplier of Jumo 211s for the Do 217E, Junkers was also well-informed about developments at Dornier. If the Do 217 series was seen as an interim Bomber B fill-in, the proposed Ju 188 could be viewed in the same light. [2]

The goal of Dornier's Do 217 programme was to produce a schnellbomber to replace the Do 17Z while also filling a heavy divebomber requirement. To differentiate its interim Bomber B concept, Dessau proposed that the Ju 188 also be a medium bomber (He 111H replacement) with a secondary role as a torpedo-bomber. Junkers was quite aware that Dornier had a lead with its Do 217 so the Dessau design would have to be heavily based upon the current Ju 88A series schnellbomber airframe. To that Ju 88 basis, Junkers hoped to incorporate a number of features from the as-yet unbuilt EF 73/Ju 288 Bomber B candidate.

At the time, the record-breaking Ju 88V5 prototype was being modified to test the forward fuselage and flight deck arrangement for the Ju 288. [3] In modified form, this new forward fuselage form could form the basis for an interim bomber. The new 3-Mann-Kanzel (3-man cockpit) would be nearly identical in form to the mock Ju 288 forward fuselage and similarly unpressurized. Since the Ju 88's fuselage was much shallower than the Ju 288, it became possible to deeping the bomb bays to match the profile of the Ju 288 nose. As proposed for the EF 79/Ju 188, the overall forward fuselage would be much shortened compared with the Ju 88V5 (or, indeed, the proposed Ju 288A).

Top Prototype Junkers Ju 88V5 modified to test Ju 188 3-man cockpit. The Ju 88V5 would later be further modified to test the Ju 188B's twin tailplanes.

The RLM's Technische Amt accepted the Junkers proposal and began a new Bomber C Programm for interim bombers including the Do 217 and Junker's Ju 188. In the initial Ju 188 scheme, the Ju 288's advanced remotely-controlled defensive weapons were to be used. However, it soon became apparent that armament trials with the Ju 288's remotely-controlled barbettes would likely not be ready for another year. As a result, the Ju 188 would have to be redesigned for a more conventional defensive armament. By the time this was obvious, the first prototype Ju 188V1 was already nearing completion. It would be finished and flown without defensive guns ... and, indeed, much of its other operational equipment.

Work on the Ju 188 V1 began using compenents intended for the Ju 88 V10 prototype. The longer nose dictated a similar lengthening of the rear fuselage to maintain the centre of gravity. This was accomplished by inserting an addition 2.50 metre fuselage section ahead of the standard Ju 88 rear fuselage. The wing was also a stock Ju 88A-1 item but with span-extending wing tips added (akin to those anticipated for later-production Ju 88As). However, this not the intended wing shape for the planned Ju 188A series bombers. That revised wing would need to wait for the second prototype Ju 188 V2.

Bottom Prototype Junkers Ju 188V1 as flown. Note Ju 88A-4 style wings and cowlings. Also note blank upper gun-aiming position (due to shifting defensive armament plans).

(To be continued)

[1] The key issues with the EF 73/Ju 288 were technological matters further complicated when specific Bomber B requirements were finally released by the Technische Amt of the RLM in May 1939. Redesign of the EF 73 was begun under Dipl.Ing. Heinrich Hertel, recently arrived at Dessau from Heinkel.

[2] Junkers actually made two 'interim Bomber B' proposals. The first was a 'least mod' version of the recently resurrected, smooth-nosed Ju 88B. This line was pursued further - but as a potential replacement for the Ju 88A series unrelated to the Bomber C Programm.

[3] The Ju 88V2 prototype had already been successfully fitted with an aerodynamic 'shape' simulating the EF 73/Ju 288 forward fuselage for flight trials.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2245 on: July 13, 2019, 05:21:31 AM »
Looks good but I'm not sure what gain one would have over a standard Ju-188 or even late model Ju-88

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2246 on: July 13, 2019, 07:20:08 AM »
Nor am I ... I was mainly interested in the look of a Ju 288 nose on an '88 airframe   ;D

You would gain larger bomb bays (no need for Ju 88's draggy wing racks). Of course, you got that with the Ju 88A-15 too. So, think of this as akin to an 'A-15 with 'P-1 rear gunner position.

As for the Ju 188, I was thinking of the Ju 88B as a more direct evolution of the Ju 88 airframe while my  '188' has a larger wing and potential for remote defensive armament.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2247 on: July 14, 2019, 04:32:49 AM »
I especially like the new ventral gun behind the bomb bay. Looks very plausible and I've never seen a Junkers 88 or 188 for that matter rendered better! You captured that famous camo scheme perfectly. Most excellent, apophenia!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

« Reply #2248 on: July 16, 2019, 03:46:35 AM »
Junkers Ju 188A-0 - First Stab at the Bomber C Programm

While the Ju 188V2 was being completed, Junkers launched pre-series production of the Ju 188A-0 model at Dessau. In reality, the entire Ju 188A-0 run was made up of prototypes to be assigned to difference research and experimental task. The Ju 188V2 was used primarily for level-bombing trials as well as experimenting with fixed Handley-Page slots on a revised tailplane. The Ju 188A-0/V3 was the first of several airframes used to test experimental defensive armaments arrangements.

The Ju 188A-0/V3 was fitted with a single, belly-mounted remotely-controlled barbette. This turret could be controlled from either the nose position or the belly sighting station. This proved much more difficult in practice than in theory and the proposed retractable upper barbette was never fitted. A fixed (but wobble-mounted) tailcone armament of four MG 17 machine guns was also fitted. The latter was considered a success but the remotely-controlled barbettes were an abject failure. The Ju 188A-0/V3 would later be rebuilt to V5 standards.

At  request of the Technische Amt, the Ju 188A-0/V5 was fitted with the same defensive barbettes as planning for the Messerschmitt Me 210 fighter. [1] These remotely-controlled FDSL 131/1B turrets were mounted in the aft-fuselage extension 'plug'. As in the Me 210A, twin Revi 25B gun sights were mounted on a moveable tube at the rear of B-Stand - the mid-upper gun position. The FDSL 131/1B turrets could not be controlled from the belly C-Stand position. Instead, the belly gunner was given a flexible pair of MG 15 guns (to be replaced by an MG 81Z when available). The C-Stand nose guns remained two fixed MG 17s - again, to be replaced with MG81s. [2]

Neither the Ju 188A-0/V3 or V5 impressed during their trials at the Luftwaffe's Rechlin test centre. None of the remotely-controlled defensive systems seemed mature - or reliable - enough to be considered for service use. Junkers received instruction to shelf work on remote barbettes for the time being and focus on providing a manually-operated gun armament heavy enough to survive then-current operational conditions.

(To be continued)

[1] The FDSL 131/1B were not meant to be an operational Ju 188 armament. It was intended that the FDSL barbettes would be scaled up to accommodate 2 cm MG-FF cannons.

[2] The revised Ju 188A-0/V3 differed in having a single, flexibly-mounted MG 15 in its nose glazing (as an alternative, 'cheek' guns were also considered). The V3's belly position was later fitted with a flexible MG-FF on a reinforced mount.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2249 on: July 16, 2019, 06:10:47 AM »
There's a bit of Russian flavor to the ventral position on that top one. If you gave it Bulgarian markings and claimed it was a native-produced prototype, few would doubt you.

You really have a knack for that famous Luft camo!

Brian da Basher