Author Topic: ASLAV 1A2 - Done! (w/pic's)  (Read 28540 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
ASLAV 1A2 - Done! (w/pic's)
« on: April 02, 2016, 07:08:21 PM »
I've started on my 3D interpretation of a blend of these 2D images created by apophenia in Profiles and Pixels.

* aslav-4x4-recce-stealth.jpg (46.7 kB, 685x379 - viewed 37 times.)

* aslav-4x4-recce-sabre.jpg (82.26 kB, 779x410 - viewed 30 times.)

I have done quite well over the last few nights getting it this far (the last 2 have mostly been PSR).

One point to note: the Marder turret has a slightly largerturret ring diameter than the ASLAV (& the fitment is totally different between the 2 kits being used).

One thing I'm struggling with is whether to stay with the 20mm Rheinmetal cannon or up-gun to the 25mm Bushmaster?

Here are a few shots of how she's going;

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:55:10 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: ASLAV 4x4 (ASLAV 1A2)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »
Off to a good start Guy.  Will be interesting to see your interpretation of this idea progress into a finished model.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:26:25 PM »
The original images are so small. I recognize there really the turret of a Marder? :o

Didi from germany (the land of Marders)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 06:30:10 AM »
well a terrific kick off at any rate

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:31 PM »
Thanks, guys! :icon_alabanza:

Build has slowed a little bit but I intend to get stuck into it tonight & I hope to have it ready for paint by Tuesday (my RDO & when I intend to put 1st paint on the HMBLT).

:icon_music:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 06:21:24 AM »
Love it love it love it!

I would consider filing off the 2nd shock tower mount / bulge if you are doing a 4x4.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 07:48:10 PM »
Following intently...and looking over the stash for possible USMC conversions of a similar vein...

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 12:12:47 AM »
I would consider filing off the 2nd shock tower mount / bulge if you are doing a 4x4.

Done before I read this.

OK, Build going a bit slower than I'd like, may have to delay painting until Wednesday.

Here she is as of now.

As you can see, I've gone for the 25mm Bushmaster & have, therefore, modified the gun housing to indicate the larger weapon.

I've put a spent-casing chute ejecting from the rear of the housing, so the spent casings don't eject over the commander's hatch, but I'm not really sure about its practicallity. Would the casings clog up & jam the mechanism? Would I be better off with a port at the bottom of the housing?

Apart from the bits still to glue on I, also, have to cut out a circle in the right side for the spare wheel. I'll be gluing the wheels on with white glue (or similar) until I can get a decent set of resin LAV wheels which include a spare.

Thanks for watching & all of your input!

Guy. ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 01:43:03 AM »
Very nice!  :-*  The Bushmaster was an unexpected twist  :)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 01:51:16 AM »

Was thinking same thing.  Surprised me. :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 08:37:47 AM »

Was thinking same thing.  Surprised me. :)

Thanks! :icon_alabanza:

I thought about it for a bit & just felt that with modern armour the 20mm was just that bit too smal, OK against light vehicles & trucks but lacking the punch to take on other AFV's, plus the 25mm gives greater commonality with other LAV's.

Then, in the build, I knew that I couldn't just tack the Bushmaster barrel on the end of the Marder turret/gun housing, so I added on the recoil damper casing & bulked up the gun housing a bit.

Still not sure about the ejector port, though. ???

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »
Place the ejector port back on the side and add a chute to redirect the expended rounds to the rear or even underneath the weapon housing.   Ejected ammunition is always a problem with any automatic weapon.   I remember I was rather surprised to see photos of AC-130s with the crews using shovels to get rid of the expended shell casings from their Vulcan cannons which had collected inside the aircraft fuselage, after they had landed back at their airbase.   AFVs have the added problem in that expended casings can jam turrets/gun elevation, if the designer isn't careful about where they get ejected.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
Spent case ejection is done with the same forward movement of the bolt that chambers the fresh round. So, to eject rearward, you'd also need to whif the action of the Bushmaster itself. 'M242AU'?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 11:31:08 AM »
Thanks guys! :)

You got me looking at RW Bushmasters & I saw a photo of a naval version ejecting spent casings though a tube above the barrel.

I now know what I'm going to do! :D

(Mod in progress!)

Offline Gingie

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
oh yeah! The bushmaster gun was 100% the way to go!

I wonder if LAV-III / Stryker rims and tires would fit without rubbing on the upper hull?

Offline Marderman

• Guess what he builds lots of...
    • didi-berlage.de
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 03:10:16 PM »
Your model looks good. And now I see, that the original-picture is a fake.

Didi

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 05:56:40 PM »
Thanks, everyone! :icon_alabanza:

Next instalment;

As of last night, as you can see, I'm nowhere near where I wanted to be but maybe by the end of next week ....... ???

Cheers! ;)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »
Coming along quite nicely.  I like the well-lived-in look with the storage bins on the rear and sides.

Offline Gingie

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 10:00:24 PM »
yeah! That is really creative use of the LAV-III (?) Turret stowage!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 04:52:09 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 05:09:48 AM »
Thanks, gents! :icon_alabanza:

LemonJello & Gingie, I used the turret stowage, very slightly modified, from the Black Dog "Australian ASLAV accessories set" (T35063).

Offline apophenia

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 04:35:48 AM »
Very nice  :)  And love that spare wheel stowage  :-*

Offline Gingie

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2016, 08:13:53 PM »
yeah that spare wheel stowage looks a lot better than on the trim vane. It also looks more "australian" to my eye, I think the SASR Perenties and Mogs have a similar spare wheel set up.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 09:34:22 PM »
Hi All, back again! :D

Except for some small bits & pieces to be added after painting she's done! :icon_music:

Tools, mesh screens, lights, commander figure (when I find one), etc., to follow.

As you can see, I had a brain-fart & decided to modify the commander's cupola to something a little more modern. Not perfect, by any means, but I like it.

Now, all I need to find is a FGM-148 Javelin ATGM in 1/35th to fit on the side of the turret as a modern replacement for the Milan.
(Fire-&-forget being more suited to Sabre recce than holding the target in your sights before high-tailing it out of the heat!)

:))