Author Topic: Messerschmitt Me 261 as an actual bomber  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Lrrr

• I am Lrrr, Ruler of the Planet Omicron Perseii 8
Messerschmitt Me 261 as an actual bomber
« on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:50 AM »
So the backstory sheet delivered with this kit says that while V1 was the Record Plane, V2 and V3 were prototypes for armed reconnaissance bombers, most probably for the Uboat support role supplementing the FW200. Not sure what their source was.  I'll post that up shortly

I know there is much debate around this aircraft being useful for anything, but I'm of the mindset that if all German bombers were originally passenger planes that even a 'record plane', which is really just a fast airliner, could be made at least as useful as the luxury airliner Fw200, which earned fame as the 'Atlantic Scourge'.

So I chose to embrace this resin-makers notes and thus I took the liberty of adding a machine gun to the top blister.  I will also add a bottom blister and *somehow* put a bf162 style bombers nose up front.  Any good suggestions outside of buying a full 1:72 bomber just for its nose?

Cheers.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:01:24 AM by Lrrr »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: Messerschmitt Me 261 as an actual bomber
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 04:16:13 AM »
All I'm seeing is a white square with a black 'no-entry' symbol for photos

Offline Lrrr

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:32:54 AM »
How about now?

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 04:46:43 AM »
Yep! can see them now. Top one is crystal clear, bottom one is not in focus and all blurry.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 04:54:16 AM »
Any good suggestions outside of buying a full 1:72 bomber just for its nose?

Nope!
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Lrrr

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 07:02:26 AM »
Yep! can see them now. Top one is crystal clear, bottom one is not in focus and all blurry.

D'oh.  That was the thumbnail.  Stand by...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 07:07:09 AM »

D'oh.  That was the thumbnail.  Stand by...

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »
So I chose to embrace this resin-makers notes and thus I took the liberty of adding a machine gun to the top blister.  I will also add a bottom blister and *somehow* put a bf162 style bombers nose up front.  Any good suggestions outside of buying a full 1:72 bomber just for its nose?
Short of buying a full 1:72 bomber just for the nose, it depends on how masochistic you're feeling.  If you're feeling insanely so, there's always the scratchbuilding route; if you're just feeling mildly so, how about just painting the windows in black, suitably framed, off course.  As an intermediate step, copy the nose using RTV and use that copy to form clear sheet plastic versions that a suitable framework can be painted on.

At least those are the three methods that occur to me off the top of my head.

Offline Lrrr

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 11:44:46 AM »

Short of buying a full 1:72 bomber just for the nose, it depends on how masochistic you're feeling.  If you're feeling insanely so, there's always the scratchbuilding route; if you're just feeling mildly so, how about just painting the windows in black, suitably framed, off course.  As an intermediate step, copy the nose using RTV and use that copy to form clear sheet plastic versions that a suitable framework can be painted on.

At least those are the three methods that occur to me off the top of my head.

I like the intermediate step. 
- solid-piece
- fit to form
- see-through plastic
- painted-on frame
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:52:23 AM by Lrrr »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
Well, if it helps, I'm glad to be of assistance.

Offline Lrrr

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 11:46:21 PM »
Well, if it helps, I'm glad to be of assistance.

Thanks , PM sent