Author Topic: dy031101's Mental Notes  (Read 318276 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: dy031101's Mental Notes- My Thought Spins Off Continued
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

This is a result of me wanting to see another ship otherwise unable to easily be armed with area air defence weapons taking the trainable-box Tartar launcher (except that Tartar is then replaced with Standard 1MR).  Ultimately I continued with the MEKO 360......

Helicopter patrol craft

Inspired by what Indonesia did to one of their ex-Dutch frigates, this Knox class FFG is armed with C-802 and Yakhont  >:D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:34:10 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
Before I could finish thinking the current brainstorm topic, new ones came along......

This picture is more or less based on Ace Combat 04 videogame for PS2...... The "Invincible" Aegir Fleet.  Granted, their carrier ingame is a Nimitz class, but since they seem to be an avid user of Kamov helicopters, I put together a carrier that justifies their use and also put them on the "cruiser" (the Hatakaze class DDG in real-life) and the "destroyer" (in reality the Cassard class FFG), too.  Also I gave them a more-European sensor suite.

The carrier is STOBAR type, and some Ka-25Ks have their bigger radomes housing a different radar to function as AEW assets onboard the ship due to concern that the skijump might have problem supporting heavier fixed-wing AEW aircraft.  And the ship is again given some cruiser characteristics in the form of AShM launchers.

Their standard CIWS is the triple launcher for Sea Cat Mk.2, which is essentially a Sea Cat launcher modified to launch an all-new missile that leveraged technologies from the Sea Wolf PDMS.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:19:34 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »

This one carries 16 evolved Rb 08 AShMs (I want to place more emphasis on the "cruiser" part of this hybrid).  I realized that VLS would have been better as primary armaments are concentrated forward, but I also want to avoid systems including and later than Mk.41......  My only regret is to not be able to find a spot for a forth Sea Wolf Light-Weight launcher and tracking radar set.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:27:41 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »
I like that.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2012, 07:48:31 AM »
With Rb 08 AShMs? Neat!  :)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline dy031101

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2012, 08:07:29 AM »
Thanks.

With Rb 08 AShMs?

An evolution thereof, so to speak.

Analogous to how the PRC made all the spin-offs out of the basic Termit design and all...... because I don't want to use Tomahawk.  >:D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:24:04 AM by dy031101 »

Offline dy031101

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that Yak-41, due to the hot exhaust generated by both the main jet AND the lift jets, actually does not lend itself to well to shipborne operation, and that an elaborate water spray system is planned to cool down the flight deck.

Hum...... I wonder if hovering over the water alongside the carrier, then, rather than over the carrier itself would help alleviate the "exhaust heat too hot for flight deck" problem, hence the look at the Skyhook......

A Skyhook cruiser with at least 30-plane capacity is what I'd ultimately like to aim for though.  Does anyone have a suggestion?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 09:56:01 AM by dy031101 »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2012, 11:57:45 AM »
You'd probably need multiple skyhook units for that capacity, say two  or three per side and spaced far enough apart for movement clearances.  Your upper works would have to be built around clearing the access hatches for each skyhook to reach the hanger deck.  It would make for a different looking ship.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
Your upper works would have to be built around clearing the access hatches for each skyhook to reach the hanger deck.

Hold on...... somehow I am not exactly clear on the "built around clearing the access hatches for each skyhook to reach the hanger deck" phrase.

Would you mind elaborating?

Just want to do it right.  :)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:12:54 PM by dy031101 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
You will need an access hatch in the main deck for each skyhook to allow the crane to reach down and acquire the aircraft.  You likely will not be able to easily have structure intruding into the movement envelope this requires and, as a result, the upper works will have to be designed to  leave those volumes of space clear.

I hope this makes my concept more clear.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:29 PM »
You will need an access hatch in the main deck for each skyhook to allow the crane to reach down and acquire the aircraft.  You likely will not be able to easily have structure intruding into the movement envelope this requires and, as a result, the upper works will have to be designed to  leave those volumes of space clear.

I hope this makes my concept more clear.

Oh so you mean that, rather than having the hatches at the sides (see attachment), you are visualizing the hatches being on the hanger roof, correct?

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:45 PM »
Correct, and it allows the hanger deck to be fully sealed for combat, except for when the hatches are open.  The side hatches/sponsons look to require a hanger deck that's more open.  I can see arguements for both approaches and I imagine they'll both be gamed intensively in the design phase.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
You'd probably need multiple skyhook units for that capacity, say two or three per side and spaced far enough apart for movement clearances.

Just getting started but for the sake of the above-quoted suggestion:

*See Below*

Is it far enough?

I've based it on the Kiev class hull...... thinking that the hull depth of the Kiev class means more space for whatever the VTOL airwing would need- it's a safe assumption, right?  Or would the hull depth of, say, Kirov class be sufficient?  (If the choice of powerplant would be a factor, I'll state my intention of keeping it conventionally-powered.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:55:16 AM by dy031101 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 12:03:14 PM »
Looks good to me.

Offline dy031101

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »
How does this look?

Comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Looking damn fine.

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2012, 03:29:16 AM »
Having just played India in a forum game I would love to see your take on the Vikramaditya (and Vikrant or Kolkata)

Offline dy031101

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2012, 08:05:59 AM »
Having just played India in a forum game I would love to see your take on the Vikramaditya (and Vikrant or Kolkata)

How different is it to be from the real-life one?  8)

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »
Finished on time? ;D

Offline dy031101

« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2012, 08:25:22 AM »
No I mean there is this......

Offline arc3371

« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
Havent seen that one before but how about Barak 8 SAMs and Tejas?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »
An old one:

CVF outfitted for STOBAR à la Kusnetzov and ex-Varyag (though probably closer to the upcoming Indian Vikrant class).  The hull is also increased in height so that Evolved Rotodynes can fit through the hangar access.  Typhoon and militarized X-32 can be equipped with wingtip Sidekick radar pods as a backup to AEW Rotodynes.  The carrier has directors for Sea Wolf missiles, but Sylver A-43 VLS and Aster 15 are ultimately used.

This ship has a sci-fi backstory of some sort...... in fact, I want to what-if a carrier-borne interceptor developed from blueprint of the MiG 1.44; does anyone think that a navalized MiG 1.44 would be able to operate from the ship, especially when configured for air defence role?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:12:35 AM by dy031101 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
Wow!

Offline dy031101

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »
Another old one, and story-wise the predecessor of the STOBAR CVF:

That old Rotodyne is there to serve in a diminishing COD capacity pending the introduction of Evolved Rotodyne configured to take over that role.

Modified Giuseppe Garibaldi design serving as assault carriers:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 10:03:34 AM by dy031101 »

Offline arc3371

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Good looking ships!