Author Topic: Sdkfz 222 Light Mortar Carrier  (Read 8781 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Sdkfz 222 Light Mortar Carrier
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:14:30 PM »
I needed some inspirational stash stalking. As there are load of new kits out there, a cull of older, yet highly whiffable models was the order of the day.
I saw lots of candidates and go to thinking about how even in wartime vehicles get outmoded for front line work, yet sometimes get converted into something else.

So I grabbed these, the venerable, yet still appealing Tamiya Sdkfz 222 and the still quite nice 81mm Mortar set.

Why not a light Mortar Carrier. The 81mm Mortar was fitted to the Sdfkz 251/2 so what about a smaller, more nimbler version for Recon Troops.

So off we went and in a short while we ended up with this as a hacked proof of concept

Still some thinking to go through, access, ammo.. you know practical stuff.. but this is whiffing ???

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:46:07 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Re: Sdkfz 222 Light Mortar Carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:21:01 PM »
Cool idea. I always liked the mobile mortar idea
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 05:32:42 AM »
Love the idea!

What about a lightly armored ammo box on the small back deck between the engine and fighting compartment? Not ideal for speed but out of the way of what will be a cramped fighting compartment.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 05:42:34 AM »
Considering the SdKfz 250 replaced the 222 family in most roles and the SdKfz 250/7 variant was setup exactly this way, I think this seems perfectly natural. The Germans loved to "standardize" on one chassis and crank out a dozen variants to fulfill all the various functions necessary in a unit. Had the SdKfz 222 served a bit longer and not been replaced, then this would see quite plausible. It could even be an interim depot-level conversion of SdKfz 222s that were being replaced pending the introduction of the 250/7 variant.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 06:49:28 AM »
cool idea. 

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »
Or reverse the mortar so that it fires over the rear deck. That way the ammo is to hand in front of the mortar and it can be used to cover retreats. A far more likely task for a vehicle like this since fighting is a light recon units last choice.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »
Well, considering what they did with the LT vz. 38/Pzkpfw 38(t), why not? ???

Looks good, as usual! :)

Waiting for more. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
the good think about this kind of small model is they come together pretty quickly.
I went with the mortar over the rear plan..great idea Zaskar. It makes sense on quite a few levels.
Whipped up some quick ammo bins and used some parts provided in the kit as well for smoke rounds or whatever.

Got the interior roughly like a 222 but it is going to be squeezy

next will be some ingenious folding seating arrangement.. perhaps.
I think one of the batteries might have to move
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:46:55 AM by Buzzbomb »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
What about mounting the mortar to a smaller base built into the floor?  This would give you a wee bit more room inside the vehicle.  The base can then be mounted on the outside of your vehicle.  For an example of what I am describing, the M125 81mm Mortar carrier based on the M113.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 01:47:40 AM »
Zaskar has an excellent point here.

Or reverse the mortar so that it fires over the rear deck. That way the ammo is to hand in front of the mortar and it can be used to cover retreats. A far more likely task for a vehicle like this since fighting is a light recon units last choice.

Furthermore, seems like the preponderance of the load-out would be smoke rounds (to cover these movements)  - note that the body of the round is Maroon.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:57:52 AM by Story »

Online Story

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 01:52:40 AM »
What about mounting the mortar to a smaller base built into the floor?

Or why not just a spare wheel and hub from a 37mm PaK? That'd give instant 360 degree traverse, and if they were mounting the guns w/ cradles on halftracks that'd leave plenty of perfectly good carriages.

There's a little lever you can use to raise & lower the axle. For the mortar job in the up position, base-wheel rotates freely. Down position, it rests on steel blocks so the mortar recoil doesn't mess up the bearing races inside the wheel.

Hmmm. Looking again at the 222, there doesn't seem to be enough room for 360 degree rotations. This idea might be better for a bigger chassis.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:57:24 AM by Story »

Online Story

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »

I think one of the batteries might have to move

What about one of these (or one per side) for close-defense? Racks for the ammo boxes on the outer hull, edge of the turret race.

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 02:13:56 AM »
Glad to be able to help buzzbomb. For a unit like this the most likely use would be to cover the rest of the section when it comes time to retreat. This way the vehicle is already facing in the correct direction to advance in retrograde between stops to drop smoke rounds to help screen the rest of the section in it's retrograde advance.   ;D

The interior build so far is looking really good. An MG-34/42 on a race around the fighting compartment might not be a bad idea to provide self defense in tight situations.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 04:03:53 AM »
Wow, looking good and such a simple but believable whiff. Really looking forward to see how this one turns out. 😎
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »
It's a war-time contingency build, it's allowed to be a tight fit! ;)

Lovin' it! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
So at the end of the weekend we are just jetting along

Went for a raised protection layout and a bog standard 251/250ish MG shield for the self Defence MG

Initial paintings. For crew seating I went for some bench type cushions over the baseplate, which also mean that they can sit either way for travel or to service the weapon in a sitting position.. as lousy as that would be for a Mortar

The will be some repainting as some of it is OTT... waaaay OTT.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:47:56 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
Thanks for the great comments and feedback.
So here we are... finished. Except for the bits I have not finished :-\ like the figure and the forgotten Aiming markers.

So to the model, this basic thing before painting

First up the markings.
I have been and avid reader of the Red Gambit series by Colin Gee http://www.redgambitseries.com/ (available on Amazon Kindle), which I have mentioned here before.
It is an alt history of the Red Army attacking the Western Allies in August 1945. One of the key things is the reformed German Federation providing forces to the allied cause. However the American/UK Politico's will not have a bar of the Waffen SS formations. However the French do see them as a very viable force and using a bit of political nouse, sign them up into the French Foreign Legion. So these markings are based on doodlings on the Red Gambit site, giving a French look with a touch of German colour.

On to the next project I suppose, unless I actually finish this one completely...  :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:48:58 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Zaskar24

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 06:22:39 PM »
That looks great bb! The French markings over the West German colors looks good. The backstory is also good and one I might use for some ideas I have. I really have to pickup Red Gambit one of these days. It has only been in my Amazon cart for a couple of years now.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 10:13:06 PM »
As the French had little concern about enlisting ex-Waffen SS (other branches of the SS they weren't so keen on) into the Legion IRL, it works fine for me.

Sweet little build there, Brian! :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2016, 01:41:15 AM »
Awesome job! The camo really makes it un-German. The interior is nicely done, too. The groundwork is great; did you make the grassy base/vines, too?

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2016, 01:58:27 AM »
Great model,I really like the balanced weathring.  :-*
Alex

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 02:09:00 AM »
Very nice indeed good Sir.  The Red Gambit series is an excellent base for all manner of whiffs. Looking forward to your next project.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 03:25:34 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2016, 05:29:06 AM »
Very nice build ... and love the Red Gambit/Légion étrangère angle  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Online Story

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:40 AM »
Very nice build ... and love the Red Gambit/Légion étrangère angle  :)

Ditto.

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2016, 05:44:33 AM »
Nice work