Author Topic: 1/350 Curran System Defense Craft  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/350 Curran System Defense Craft
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:32:25 AM »
This is a resin kit from Ugh Models based on designs by Masao Okazaki, from his Starfleet Museum.

The model was well cast and consists of four resin parts and a resin base. The build was uneventful, but I screwed up the wash. I used the new Vallejo Metal acrylic paints, and they worked well; they're at least as good as the Metalizer series, without the stink (in fact, they're all but odorless).
The main color is satin aluminum. The nose section is steel (which is pretty dark, compared to the Testors Metalizer steel).
I named it "Lasting Damage" based on a Culture ship.

The pattern on the nose was produced by shooting the steel color through a nylon sock onto a bright aluminum base color.

I sealed everything and shot Future to produce a nice, gloss finish. The acrylic was I used soaked into the Future and just wouldn't come out without removing much of the paint in the process.

Approaching Titan:

In deep space, with the Perseus Double Cluster in the background:

Offline Madhatter

• BTS's Tony Stark
  • trainee plastic surgeon
Re: 1/350 Curran System Defense Craft
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »
that's pretty funky in a retro way.  I quite like it. Love the last couple of shots - it looks very much at home in the stars
Where do you guys find these odd ball kits? I live a sheltered modelling life and stick usually with the main stream manufacturers - however, if the right subject came up, I'd give it a go

Si
2 Reasons why a model is better than a wife:
1) A model doesn't get jealous when you look at another model
2) A model doesn't yell at you for spending money on another model

Offline Antonio Sobral

• Building and painting tiny little things!
  • Greetings from Portugal
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:49:24 PM »
Cool model and great photos!

And thanks for sharing the tip of Ugh Models.  They have some interesting stuff

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 01:18:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I'm pretty annoyed at the screwed up wash and someday I may just strip everything and redo it.

I've always been interested by Masao's designs. A few years ago, I drew a couple of the smaller ones in Rhino3D, with the hope of having them printed. When I checked the print volume, it was pretty obvious that they would be too expensive to print, even if I hollowed them out.

It's great that Ugh Models has some of the designs available, including ships from the Honor Harrington series of SF novels, (which I've never read). Unlike many garage companies, they have what's on their page in stock.

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 02:52:21 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 03:18:40 AM »
It's great that Ugh Models has some of the designs available, including ships from the Honor Harrington series of SF novels, (which I've never read). Unlike many garage companies, they have what's on their page in stock.
Well, as one who's been reading that series from the beginning, I can recommend them as a good read.  Now I'm going to have to see what ships they have and what my budget can handle.  given the level of tech data in the books, those should be very interesting models.