Author Topic: Tiberian Wars - GDI Amphibious APC  (Read 3485 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Tiberian Wars - GDI Amphibious APC
« on: September 29, 2021, 11:56:50 AM »
I have done a few models using the EA Game series Tiberian Dawn/Sun/Wars  as inspiration. There is just some cool kit amongst the vehicles
In the reuse/recycle box I have this Fuchs, that has been trashed somewhat and also had a false start on another build some time back.
I had a thought bubble, using some Aliens APC Wheels from the Halcyon kit. I replaced the kit ones with much better 3d Printed versions, with the more correct tread.
So the old wheels were spare

That led to digging out a few fan images from the web on the GDI Amphibious APC. It can hold 20 odd troops in the game so it would be  a big sucker

Sometimes,  subtle hack work is not efficient, so got out the big guns, the dremel and saw attachment.

Bit of plastic card and I think I have the basis for moving forward. Bit of scaleorama to 1/48 to get some size and now...... Play time ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 11:58:41 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Tiberian Wars - GDI Amphibious APC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 12:36:50 PM »
Looks like you have all of the boxes checked.  Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 04:49:19 PM »
Hope it looks as good as the Orca! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 08:40:41 PM »
On a bit of a roll with this one. Plus I reloaded Tiberian Sun to get a few skirmishes in, now have to try and not make that a time sink

So all in all, I might have been just as well scratching the entire thing from sheet. The kit form does give a solid base for the card to bond to though

Started adding some detail in.

See how we go with the next bits. So, propellors or waterjet for the propulsion ?
Propellers, look cooler, but waterjet might be easier to do. Decisions, decisions. ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 10:34:17 PM »
More armour = More better!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 10:59:09 PM »
Unexpected! :icon_surprised:

I'd go with waterjets; they're a bit more efficient & less liable to be damaged.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 12:42:44 AM »
Is there anything better than a whif with gobs of white p-card?!?

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 12:54:59 AM »
Very cool and great scratch building skills.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 01:33:17 AM »
This is coming along great! I'd go with the waterjets. Props can look out of place on a futuristic vehicle.

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »
Nice! This is looking really good!  :smiley:

... I'd go with the waterjets. Props can look out of place on a futuristic vehicle.

Agreed. And waterjets get around needing drive extensions to turn the props. That'd be one more thing to break as Old Wombat noted.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Online Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 10:16:31 PM »
Looking good, love all the white plastic !!   ;) ;)
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement :smiley:

Right then, work has progressed, most of the layout build work is now done. Well so far unless something else pops up.

All the wheels now available thanks to a couple of casts. As above I was thinking 1/48, looking at the reference pictures it is large, but putting a 1/48 figure next to it it looks stupid huge.
For some reason the 1/35 figure makes it look more believable. Powerplant could be a small, self contained hydrogen/tiberium reactor, electric powered independent hubs. Still fit quite a few bods inside.

round the clock we go. Front

Rear, with water jets. Bottom set are steerable

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 02:30:52 AM »
Lovely! 

I thought that truncated cone shape in the first image was part of your build but then realized it was just the bottle stopper on some small container behind the model which shows up at other spots in the following images.  1/48th or 1/35th?  Looks great as a 1/35th subject. 

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2021, 03:05:19 AM »
I think it looks better in 1/35. The rear hatch is a great idea, too. The waterjets look great.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2021, 09:43:13 PM »
1/35 is more realistic but 1/48 works for a lot of that "overscale vehicle" art common with sci-fi.

Online apophenia

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2021, 04:48:08 AM »
That is too cool!  I love the  hydrogen/tiberium reactor and motor-in-hubs non-linear hybrid drive concept  :-*

That "stupid huge" thing does seem to be common in sci-fi. Good call on going with a more believable 1/35 scale. Makes it look less like a movie prop and more like something that could actually do the business - on this planet or elsewhere  :smiley: :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 02:51:27 PM »
Thanks team.
Solution to the whole scale thing appears to be not have any reference points and you can make up your own mind.

Pretty much going to call this as done.
Couple of homemade GDI marking decals and a few scavenged from one of the left over decal boxes.
Lights are done with mostly craft goodies, like round diamante thingies and sparkly jewelly things.

Also the other Tiberium Sun/Wars builds as a comparison, Orca Bomber and NOD Venom
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 02:58:06 PM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 09:33:14 PM »
Looks good, BT! 8)

To me the Stryker windshield scales it at 1/35, but that's 'coz I know what it is & my brain automatically goes to that scale. ;)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 01:21:20 AM »
Looks good - if a Brutalist designed APCs, they would look like this.
Are the lights smooth domes or faceted? all the small jeweled pieces I've seen (at least on Amazon) look faceted.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 03:11:55 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online apophenia

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »
That looks fantastic!

And, I gotta say, your take looks waaay more plausible than that reference GDI Amphibious APC  :smiley: :smiley:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 10:24:52 AM by apophenia »

Offline Gingie

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2021, 01:39:59 AM »
Never seen the Venom before...looking at it makes me want to yell "COOOOOBRRRRRAAAA!" before diving into a wall of AA fire.

What did you use for the body? Looks like a dolphin animal?

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2021, 05:00:49 AM »
Never seen the Venom before...looking at it makes me want to yell "COOOOOBRRRRRAAAA!" before diving into a wall of AA fire.

What did you use for the body? Looks like a dolphin animal?

Mostly 1/72 helicopter, a bit of submarine, plenty of sprue and a ton of car bog

Offline Gingie

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2021, 03:28:34 AM »
OK, now I'm even more impressed you arrived at that organic shape the old school way!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2021, 04:42:50 AM »
Yes!  What Gingie said, hard to believe that started out as a proper kit bashing.  Bondo is your friend!