Author Topic: Rescuing the Mir Space Station  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Rescuing the Mir Space Station
« on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:17 PM »
With the impending re entry of the Mir Space Station in less than a year, it was discovered it was most likely due to hit Denver, Colorado. Despite the Russians desire to blow up the station with an old ASAT, the US decided to try a different approach. Using funds earmarked for the NSA (National Security Agency) and some hardware from the days of the Apollo Program that somehow was still in service, they requested the use of the Soviet-era shuttle, the Buran.

Offline Alvis 3.1

Re: Rescuing the Mir Space Station
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:20:11 PM »
Utilising an uprated first stage, with upgraded F-1 engines and larger fins for added stability, as well as a heavily modified second stage that had been stretched for extra fuel capacity. Using 3 uprated SSME RS-25 engines, it was more than enough thrust to orbit the Buran shuttle. Additionally, two enhanced SRBs (slightly shorter to allow for clearances in staging) were added to the first stage.

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 12:23:41 PM »
The final part of the equation was the shuttle "Buran" (Blizzard or snowstorm) the US had "borrowed" from the Russians. Flown by the enfant terrible of the US Space program "Bad" Bobby Lousma (The evil twin of the incredibly nice Jack Lousma), it sported some unusual USMC markings as well as a personalised name on the port side. It is unkown who "Barb" is, although rumours have it she runs a secret drinking establishment somewhere in the US Southwest desert, and Bobby was banned for his cheekiness.

Offline Alvis 3.1

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 12:26:24 PM »
Kits used:
Two Monogram 1/144 Saturn V kits, boosters from a Revell STS stack kit, and a Revell 1/144 shuttle kit I had begun converting into a Buran back in the early 90s, when I had very few research options for it. Decals printed on my Canon laser printer, pew pew.

Alvis 3.1

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 01:09:01 PM »
What a cool idea! The stack without the Buran could pass for a very heavy lift vehicle.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 01:34:44 PM »
Terrific !
Love the concept and the execution is marvellous :icon_alabanza:

Online LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »
I like everything about this project.  Well done!

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:49:07 PM »
I second what they all said! We don’t get too many space whiffs so this one is a nice change of pace.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 01:38:41 AM »
Annnnd he is back with another winner!  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg