Author Topic: [U] Operation HIGH JUMP (1947)  (Read 32884 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
[U] Operation HIGH JUMP (1947)
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:04:03 AM »
This thread is
UNCLASSIFIED.

[U ] The following thread is a historical review, Friendly Forces Battle Damage Assessment (FF BDA) and Technical Intelligence assessment of items captured during Operation Highjump.

[U ] Officially titled The United States Navy Antarctic Developments Program, 1946–1947, was a United States Navy operation organized by Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, Jr., USN (Ret), Officer in Charge, Task Force 68, and led by Rear Admiral Richard H. Cruzen, USN, Commanding Officer, Task Force 68.

[U ]Operation Highjump commenced 26 August 1946 and ended in late February 1947.

[U ]Task Force 68 included 4,700 men, 13 ships, and 33 aircraft. Operation Highjump's publically stated primary mission was to establish the Antarctic research base Little America IV.

[U ] In actuality, the primary mission was to identify the location, capabilities and intentions of hold-out Nazi Scientists and SS personnel who had fled Europe in early/mid 1945.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:32:07 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:18:48 AM by Story »

Offline Story

Re: [U] Operation HIGH JUMP (1947)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 03:28:40 AM »
Now that you're all in the proper mood, this thread came about after reading a post by Frank3k. So Frank's box came in the mail today and the contents immediately went to the paint shop.

(Frank does nice work, but you folks knew that already...)

So, on the outside this looks like an easy build... but for the interior, *what* are we facing?  In the context of Operation High Jump, we'll assume that the Fourth Reich types armed some of their technology demonstrators and test-bed vehicles with advanced anti-shipping and anti-aircraft weaponry, in order to stop - or at least delay - Admiral Byrd's fleet.

Offline Story

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:42:42 AM »
"Hey, Sir. Flatbeds are outside with everything Recovery could sweep up. If you don't mind signing here,here aaand... here, that'd be great."

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 03:48:21 AM »
[Cue X-Files theme music]

Looks like you are off to a good start on the paint work but the next image showing parts for a smoke detector have me wondering where this is going.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 04:00:59 AM »
[Cue X-Files theme music]

Looks like you are off to a good start on the paint work but the next image showing parts for a smoke detector have me wondering where this is going.  :)

Seriously, you know how hard it is to reverse-engineer advanced technology from a smoldering pile of quasi-radioactive parts?

Guess you'll just have to use your imagination and that's what this thread is for - y'all got a Martin PBM Mariner post-war build to show off? Luft-46 or the like builds?

How about Nazi rocket packs? Those are always a hoot.

Nazi UFOs are a thing. Who knew?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGKVF&P=FR&atrkid=V3ADW3A24148B_10642245165_pla-67528028445__36556522365_g_c_pla__1o4&gclid=CJzvj4L6n9QCFc6Eswod07sPTg

Even Wallyworld stocks 'em
https://www.walmart.com/ip/haunebu-II-WWII-German-Flying-saucer-1-72-UFO-model-kit/873523737?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=587&adid=22222222227084106277&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=196756108472&wl4=pla-314842529020&wl5=1025197&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354378&wl11=online&wl12=873523737&wl13=&veh=sem

More homework reading
http://www.roswellufomuseum.com/research/ufotopics/naziufocrash.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330566/Hitlers-secret-flying-saucer-Did-Fuhrer-plan-UFO-attack-London-NY.html
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/522518/German-documentary-claims-Roswell-UFO-Nazis

I was hoping this model would spin-up enough to rend time & space, but no such luck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxwcAWumf0

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:17:01 AM by Story »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 04:16:40 AM »
I have my own battles to contend with in the form of that Testor's Area S4 UFO thing and my attempts at imagineering some kind of interior for the thing so I can appreciate your own struggles.  Antarctic NAZI Storm Troopers sporting jet belts was covered by that guy from Dust?  I recall one of his resin figures was fitted with some kind of jet/rocket pack. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 04:20:58 AM »
I have my own battles to contend with in the form of that Testor's Area S4 UFO thing and my attempts at imagineering some kind of interior for the thing

Oh, that's different. Weren't some of those Alien craft technically *living* things chock full oforganic technology?. See also the collected works of HR Giger (they let him wander around a couple of those things by himself, for a bit too long).

PS: Shoutout for the "Plates In Spaaaaaaaaaaaace" thread
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:25:23 AM by Story »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 05:02:55 AM »
LoL! :)

I would have been better off going the "Plates in Space" route TBH. 

Geiger made some really creepy stuff but that is just my view on his work as it definitely made the first Aliens film extra creepy. 

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 05:04:54 AM »
I resolved the docking issues with my UFO shape by using the tripod shape stand from the IDF Alien Attacker model produced by Lindberg shortly after that film was debuted.  Are you going to use some of those parts to create some kind of docking stand for your saucer? 

Offline Story

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 05:27:59 AM »
The following commentary made by the Project Senior Engineer.

Unser erster Schritt war, die fünf Motoren zu testen. Wenn jemand diesen Bausatz baut, sollten sie wirklich darauf achten, jede Motor-Gondel mit LED-Leuchten anzubringen. Beachten Sie die Räumboote im Hintergrund, für Maßstab.

Revolver und Rumpf-Layout. Details zum Innenraum werden in einer späteren Entsendung angesprochen.

Details des Fahrwerks und der unteren Rüstung. Dieser Bereich kann zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt mit Zinkchromat gewaschen werden.

Revolverprüfung zum Rumpf.

Offline Story

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 05:30:11 AM »
Are you going to use some of those parts to create some kind of docking stand for your saucer?

If I can acquire a 3" diameter slice of clear cylindrical Lexan tubing about twice the height of the landing gear/lower armor panels, that'd make a nice display cradle.

LoL! :) I would have been better off going the "Plates in Space" route TBH.  Geiger made some really creepy stuff but that is just my view on his work as it definitely made the first Aliens film extra creepy.

Perfect opportunity you got there to throw a curve ball and make something shocking.  :icon_fsm:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:32:26 AM by Story »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
Loving it so far 8)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
Gut gemacht!
Great to see that old Invader's kit being put to good use! Fantastic back story, too.

Offline Story

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »
Gut gemacht!
Great to see that old Invader's kit being put to good use! Fantastic back story, too.

The notion had been rattling around in the spare parts corner of my Imagination, until I saw your post. All of this lays at your feet. Thanks again.

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »

Offline Story

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 11:25:48 PM »
Orientation to Craft Operation Systems

[U ] #1 The following defines the major subsystems of this craft, as well as the weapons systems recovered and reconstructed.

[U ] #2 This is not meant to be a definitive analysis, and only addresses one Craft. Variations are to be expected.

[U ] #3 For orientation purposes on flight characteristics, see http://www.hawking.org.uk/space-and-time-warps.Html

See also http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2920305/Space-time-tunnel-Milky-Way.html

See also http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/fasterlight.php

[U ] #4 Suggested reading music for #3 https://youtu.be/kjxSCAalsBE

Link to viable song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gawTIcDmfZo
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:33:42 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
So now that you've all absorbed the egghead stuff, let's turn to the craft's two major subassemblies; the flight deck with engines (or "saucer") and the crew compartment and payload bay.

Saucer drive technology and construction is someone else's department, so we'll go down the rabbit hole on the interior (which I imagine feels like a cross between a Ju-88 flight deck, a Tiger II turret and the interior of a U-boat.

Yeah, most of the interior looks like this...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:39:34 PM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 11:35:56 PM »
So if this thing can jump point-to-point across Space-Time and only needs fuel for operations in the immediate Area of Interest, then beyond what's needed on the flight deck can be devoted to payload; Assault, 'Exploration' or... "Humanitarian Operations".

Everyone knows that all of Pax Americana's best weaponry was the result of Operation Paperclip. That'd be your stereotypical...

The weapons system on this was a precursor of the Vertical Launch System.

Two racks, with launch points in the center top of the saucer, allowed for warhead selection based on target.

Everybody tracking like a 'lazer' beam so far? Any questions? Buehler? Anyone?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:34:35 PM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 02:39:36 AM »
This is coming right along, and great story! It's good to see this kit become something great, rather than sitting in my closet.

I love the "not my circus, not my monkeys" ("Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy") 

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »
 As a long time student of the odious myth of the Nazi flying saucers, I heartily approve of this, and look forward to seeing the work progress.

Offline Story

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
The mood, in a word, should be cramped.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:41:16 PM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
That said, it's bisected horizontally.

See if you can guess what went into this stew. Currently sitting @ 85% complete.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:49:41 PM by Story »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 02:13:00 AM »
This is coming along nicely.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Story

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:32 AM »
ADDITIONAL COMBAT CAPABILITIES

[U ] 1. Capabilities: while this class of saucer's primary armament was a twin missile launcher, other operating systems were employed with lethal/catastrophic effect against contemporary Allied aircraft.

[U ] 2. Saucers were capable of both atmospheric as well as trans-dimensional flight, via gravitation engines and a portal drive respectively. Reference the gun camera frame B2309-30121946 (3), saucer pilots were able to score kills by A) initiating the first stage of the portal drive against airborne targets directly in 'front' of it [note the cone-shaped 'haze' to the left of saucer] and B) engaging the reverse polarity on the gravity engines when over airborne targets [indicated by expanding 'ball lightning'].

[U ] 3. Single frame of USN gun camera footage.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:28:40 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 04:57:45 AM »
Endanflugrechner

[Revised for Clarity]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:15:33 AM by Story »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 07:06:57 AM »
It's literally a "smart" weapons system...

Offline Story

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2017, 01:17:20 AM »
95% complete build.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 02:57:51 PM »
Awesome detail work there, mate! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
It's literally a "smart" weapons system...

How do you think Byrd's people got all the information they did? It wasn't epiphanies from a bunch of Tech Intel types over a pile of parts. The black box was *mostly* co-operative, but HIPAA regs prevent total candor about the peculiarities of that source.

Awesome detail work there, mate! :)
This is coming along nicely.
As a long time student of the odious myth of the Nazi flying saucers, I heartily approve of this, and look forward to seeing the work progress.
This is coming right along, and great story! It's good to see this kit become something great, rather than sitting in my closet.

Thanks, gentlemen. I'm noodling the last few steps.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:09:29 AM by Story »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2017, 03:24:01 AM »
What a treat to see one of these being built!

Will be sure to keep tuning in!

Brian da Basher

Offline Story

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
Gibberish.                                                                                           Not Gibberish.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:13:44 PM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 03:38:37 AM »
Rote Linie = doppelwandige Schottwand
Flugdeck A
Raketenmagazin B
Raketenwerfer C
12,7 cm HV Geführte Raketen D
12,7 cm IR Geführte Raketen E
Flugbetrieb F
Waffenbetrieb G
Red line = double-walled bulkhead (both walls from UFO kit, back-to-back)
A Flight deck (HO scale Victorian house railings)
B Spring loaded rocket magazine deck (bulkhead door from UFO kit) (Works like this)
C Missile Launcher (Sagger Rails from a 1:48th scale Mi-24)
D 12.7 cm HV guided rockets (rocket rack from 1:48th ITC Grumman Duck)
E 12.7 cm IR guided rockets (AT rockets from 1:48th Mi-24 Hind kit)
F Flight Operations position (Pilot's seat from a 1:48th Lindberg P47 kit)
G Weapons Operations position (Pilot's seat from the UFO kit)

Raketenlademotor H
Raketengestell vertikale Unterstützung I
Raketengestell J
Besatzung Sauerstoff K
Luftkompressionssystem für Raketenwerfer L

H Missile loading motor (HO fireplug and trashcan)
I Missile rack vertical support (AIRFIX Great Western paddle wheel sprue)
J Missile racks (HO scale T-62 turret ring hull sections)
K Life support systems (48th scale Mi-24 Hind rocket pod halves)
L  Air compression system for missile launchers (scrap sprue)

Raketenbelastungsarm M
Untere Raketenablage horizontale Unterstützung  N
Raketen-Rack-Motor O
Atomwaffen P
Obere Raketenregal horizontale Unterstützung Q

M Missile loading arm (random scrap from parts box) N Lower Missile rack horizontal support (Great Western, again..)
O Missile rack loading motor (HO scale trash can)
P 15 cm Atomic gravity bombs (48th scale gravity bomb fins from an A-10 )
Q Upper Missile rack horizontal support (AIRFIX Great Western paddle wheel sprue)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:24:51 PM by Story »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2017, 06:28:52 AM »
Those are some awesome details and I like how you let us know what the base parts were.

This is shaping up to be an epic project!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »
Those are some awesome details and I like how you let us know what the base parts were.

This is shaping up to be an epic project!

Brian da Basher

+1 :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 02:09:15 AM »
Again, thank you gentlemen.

Brian - Pardon but I'd lost some formatting on the last series of photos. In addition to the German (to the left) and explanatory (to the right), I've ammended the text in my post above with (Bold and Parentheses) to better hightlight the source materials.

Since the genesis of this craft was a TV prop, with the weakness of an oversimplified interior to facilitate filming, I decided to *think like a prop designer*; given an advanced-technology Nazi saucer but constrained to WWII German design philosophies (10 lbs of highly functional crap packed into a 5 lb container*) while recycling available materials.

*- pay attention here, you Hollywood people. Given how cheap and small good cameras are, you could seed the interior of one of these claustrophobic craft with enough lenses to keep any director happy. Unless the director is just permanently unhappy.

But at least I didn't resort to the bathroom plunger.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 04:41:30 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2017, 06:24:33 AM »
Quick-n-dirty walkthrough from the underside.

A HO Victorian house gratings.
B Bulkhead doors from UFO kit, repositioned to be 'racetrack' style magazines for those 12.7 cm missiles. And these guys think their U-shaped magazine for the AR15 is 'revolutionary'.
C Twin ATGM rails from Hind Mi-24
D 48th scale Grumman Duck rocket rack

E HO T-62 turret race pieces.
F Sprue reinforcements as bulkhead braces. To upper left, sprue as underside/bottom half of flight computer (probably should have beaten it up some more so as not to look so sprue-like)
G Drop down crew ladder from ... Victorian House grating. Make a note of this, factors into our later monkeying around with the hull.
H Great Western sprue, horizontal
I Great Western sprue, verticle
J Maintenance deck for missile arm motor, again the Victorian house grating.

K Lumpy looking missiles. Note that one of them (#3 of 4) has already been expended. Thanks, A10 kit with tons of ordnance. (was editing while you were posting, elmayerle ). Upper left (white) is the fuze box.
L  HO scale T62 turret races attached to Great Western sprue. White is HO fireplug, to the left is HO Victorian house grating.

I figured that since this was a saucer design, circles had something major to do with it's form and function (hence the paddle wheel sprues of smaller-than-turret diameter, in both the horizontal and vertical planes).

Peripheral inspiration
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:23:41 PM by Story »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »
Love the information, but what is "K"?

Offline bluedonkey99

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
    • Kampfgruppe144 (1/144 News & Modelling)
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 06:11:31 AM »

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 08:38:13 PM »
Very impressive !

Frederic

Offline Story

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2018, 09:32:15 PM »
I'll just leave this here, filed under 'L' for Ludicrous.
https://www.thelocal.de/20180619/toy-nazi-ufo-taken-off-market-after-criticism

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 11:07:17 PM »
Oh, FFS! :-X All they have to do is change what is in the description & make it what it is ... Science Fiction!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 03:22:44 AM »
^ Which is exactly what is happening at the moment and which is all that was asked of Revell. Nothing more.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Story

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 01:29:40 AM »
This thread would probably give the pearl clutchers an aneurism.

Offline Story

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »

Offline Story

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 02:41:22 AM »
Stumbled upon this Haunebu 1939 prototype 1/72 build.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RKcFf_ewIo

Offline Story

Offline Story

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2020, 01:41:18 AM »
Alibi edit - six months later, I find this image I'd stashed for inspiration.

The TR-3A Black Manta is the name of a surveillance aircraft of the United States Air Force, speculated to be developed under a black project. The only evidence for such an aircraft is based on several reported sightings of mysterious flying triangle aircraft over Antelope Valley, an area of desert in southern California. This stretch of desert draws people interested in potential "black project" aircraft, because it is close to several known military research and testing areas, such as Edwards Air Force Base in California, and United States Air Force Plant 42.

So where'd the DoD get all that technical inspiration? One popular theory is that these unmanned vehicles are side-slipping from 'somewhere else' in the multiverse.

Manta Ray UFO Over Costa Rica?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZ7HeU7w_Q

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/strange-weird/article/UFO-shaped-like-manta-ray-spotted-over-Costa-Rica-6493951.php

Reconstruction of possible extra-dimensional craft.

That gap in the nose is a weird optical illusion.

Note: flight display stand is a reconstructed 16th century painted lead glass with botanical images from the Voynich Manuscript. Writing on recovered wreckage closely matched that found in the same work.

Several kit details where wrong and/or misinterpreted; the idea that this was crewed or carried 'little grey/green aliens' being the foremost of the poppycock (flight controls were determined post-mortem to be 'wet' organic computers, as detailed on the Antarctic craft above), the flight orientation was actually inverted and the weapons bay (loaded with missiles very similar to those found in terrestrial arsenals) in 'revenge' rearward-to-flight dispersal racks.

The Kit

LINDBERG/TESTORS 1/48th scale (?)
https://www.scalemodelnews.com/2015/07/testors-148-scale-ufo-crash-scene.html
https://fantastic-plastic.com/roswell-ufo.html
https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/scifi/bairnufo.htm

Dirt cheap on ebay - other suppliers have not included instructions but for our crowd, who needs instructions?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Testors-The-Roswell-UFO-1-48-Scale-555-NEW-MEXICO-1947-Model-Car-Mountain/381596369899?hash=item58d8ea83eb:g:AZgAAOSwJQdXB~fX

Seriously. Too easy. Note the crew compartment with six seats - ain't no way this is a 1/48th scale kit.

Neat hexagonal Anechoic skin.

Correcting the kit deficiencies.

This was supposed to be a cheap (it was), fast (meh - took too much time) and simple (until I overthought the fiddly bits) build.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:41:50 AM by Story »

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2020, 03:35:20 AM »
I made the same mistake as you.  Purchased two of those bagged kits with decals but no instructions.  At first I was thinking what could be a simple build turned in to me trying to make the top and bottom halves cooperate with each other.  To be honest, it might have been better to just try and use some Pringles' artificial crisps instead.  What was at first going to be a simple diversion turned in to a very unfortunate waste of money, time, and resources.  The warping of the two body halves was ugly, the resulting seam along the periphery of the thing after it was glued just made it worse.  A fail and now it and the other kit are awaiting conversion therapy pyro-therapy so that the next time around perhaps they can be something more useful. 

Offline Story

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2020, 03:38:25 AM »
I made the same mistake as you. 

I wouldn't call mine a 'mistake' - the fiddly bits I refer to are the cobbled-up weapons bay.  The upper and lower hulls on my kit went together just fine, with the aide of butterfly clips.

Offline Story

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2020, 05:10:26 AM »
Die Glocke
(The Bell)

Nazi inter-dimensional doorway.
See also "Man in the High Castle".

WIP
I've been throwing eight to twelve of these filters away each year, and each time I thought "that could be *something*. 

A friend suggested that I dump the resin out, paint semi-gloss black inside and out. Add a diffused blue LED. Fine, sez I - source me the electronics.

Meanwhile, I figured I'd develop the concept. The faux stone base sits on a smoke alarm mounting bracket (about 1/4" interior clearance), so there's a place to hide the battery and wires.

I'll also need to source some fine point marking pens, so that I can put the appropriate Elvish Runes/Voynich Gibberish around the Gate Edge - otherwise, it's just another inert piece of Nazi junk.

Once again, the neckbeards got it wrong but this drawing gives y'all the jist.

Whenever I get around to stuffing electronics into the 2nd one, this Beta (stationary, non-blinky) version will eventually wind up as semi-tarped junk inside of an HO scale aircraft hanger, as a disturbing addition to a friend's dystopian post-WW2 German train layout.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:20:08 AM by Story »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
Ok, you have my attention again.
It is a rather nice shape

Offline Story

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2020, 08:59:38 PM »
Ok, you have my attention again.
It is a rather nice shape

1) Fair warning - this is gonna take time (original thread was started three years ago and I still haven't gotten around to detail-painting the interior).

b) You might consider a pair or more of these filters as engine pods, for any future TRAVELER type builds you might start.

iii) I think one of the future filters will have to be subjected to destructive testing, since my attempts to gently separate the top and bottom went nowhere.  I might stick it in the freezer and then attempt to soft-chisel off the top (take advantage of that whole expansion/contraction thing).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:02:43 PM by Story »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2020, 06:48:18 AM »
b) You might consider a pair or more of these filters as engine pods, for any future TRAVELER type builds you might start.

Traveller X-Boat Courier perhaps  ;)

Offline Story

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2020, 04:38:34 AM »
Try as they might, suppressed evidence continues to surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2020, 09:33:57 PM »
Yes, Iron Sky was a documentary ...
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Story

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2021, 11:21:13 PM »

U] Appendix A, Operation HIGH JUMP (1947)
31 December 1965

U] 1) Interdimensional Drive Enabler, theory and known prototypes/working examples.

The 'Bell' (German 'Die Glocke') is a Third Reich design that enables movement between different dimensions in the 'Multiverse' (current terminology, Multiversum), which during the Third Reich's trials was referred to as the Zwiebelschalen Realitäten (or 'onion skin realities"). In can be found in several craft designs or deployed as a stationary generator.

The Bell Project was later claimed to be "some kind of antigravitational effect", be a "time machine", or part of an "SS antigravity program" for a flying saucer called the "Repulsine". However, these Interdimensionaler Laufwerksaktivierer were originally built to move personnel and equipment effortlessly across great distances in this universe. During the experimental phase, they were found to be also capable of moving between dimensions from a stationary position positioned at the intersections of Ley Lines. See also
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2020/05/21/has-nasa-found-a-parallel-universe-where-time-flows-backwards-the-truth-behind-the-headlines/

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24532770-400-we-may-have-spotted-a-parallel-universe-going-backwards-in-time/

U]2) Craft Designs employing the Interdimensional Drive Enabler
As with much of the Third Reich's wartime design efforts, research and development of several prototypes distracted the engineering teams and sapped resources. Post-war interviews revealed varying levels of psychosis afflicting personnel involved with these projects. Whether these were pre-existing, the result of exposure to the unorthodox operating systems or a combination of both was never conclusively determined. 

U]2A) Known Designs reaching operating prototype stage.

U]2B) Known Designs reaching fully operational stage.

U] 3) Security Breaches involving the Interdimensional Drive Enabler
There was an aggressive disinformation campaign claiming that General Hans Kammler (SS general in charge of the Die Glocke project) was killed at the end of the war, but he had been taking into Allied Intelligence custody in late May 1945 along with several project engineers. However, all of them disappeared on 09 December 1945 when Device #3 self-destructed during a test run.https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publication/hans-kammler-hitlers-last-hope-american-hands

Current investigations (as of December 1965) following up on reports that Kammler was sighted multiple times in Pittsburgh PA may be related to an incident from earlier in the month (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kecksburg_UFO_incident)
To what extent this technology has proliferated into the Soviet sphere remains unknown.

U] 4) Reichsführer John Smith contemplates in *which* Lackawanna Pennsylvania he wants to site his summer datscha. A Laufwerksaktivierer in the TMitHC Dimension (Onion Skin #23) was successfully operated several dozen times. Note the three dimension map laying out the worlds known to the Reich in Onion Skin #23. 

U] 5) Known disinformation sources
https://www.amazon.com/Die-Glocke-MR-M-Drake/dp/1727771834
https://www.amazon.com/Die-Glocke-Bell-S-Bolden/dp/168456378X
History Channel comedy short
https://play.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens/videos/the-nazi-bell

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:01:17 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2021, 11:32:30 PM »
A friend (code name "Hessian Bill") found this on Thingverse
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3100317

The one on the left is 1:87th (or 'HO' scale) and on the right, 1:56th scale (or 28mm, popular in gaming)

Perspective for the smaller printing.

ROCO Minitank Sherman M4A3 hull for size comparison.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 11:35:13 PM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2021, 03:17:32 AM »
U]   6) Reich naval contractor Blohm & Voss manufactured an unknown number of Interdimensionaler Laufwerksaktivierer MkI (IdLw Mk I) before their abilities to provide the necessary high tolerance rare earth metal castings and extra-scientific 'raw material' (both organic and external coding referred to as 'Runes' and/or 'Occult Magic' in post-war speculations) fell behind the Reich's demand in late 1944. 

U] 6a) Interdimensionaler Laufwerksaktivierer MkI  

U] 6b) The IdLw Mk II was an effort based on B&V's aircraft manufacturing learning curve to use more aluminum castings and sheet metal stampings, although the final product was larger and apparently less efficient. The first prototypes were tested in February 1945.

U] 6c)  Interdimensionaler Laufwerksaktivierer MkI (r.) and Interdimensionaler Laufwerksaktivierer MkII (l.), in a side-by-side size comparison during a simulated 'Reverse/Idle' mode.

Offline Story

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2021, 02:54:55 AM »
Tacit acknowledgement?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2021, 07:10:27 AM »
I guess direct, close exposure to rocket exhaust wasn't considered a health issue in the 50s...

Offline Story

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2021, 10:53:27 AM »
I guess direct, close exposure to rocket exhaust wasn't considered a health issue in the 50s...

Not when your site is being buzzed by Flying Saucers.

Offline bluedonkey99

• Kampfgruppe144 (1/144 News & Modelling)
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2021, 09:58:55 PM »

It was probably encouraged back then ;)  When I was younger, we used coal tar soap to ease prickly heat rashes - some 30 years later I now discovered its banned due its cancer causing properties! :o

Offline Story

« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2021, 01:08:38 AM »
Messerschmitt-Bölkow Luftkissenfahrzeug* (LftKFhrZg) Mk I

Another Thingverse printing, thought about doing something with it more in line with the rest of the nonsense in this thread but decided it was better suited as another 1:87th German railroad platform junkyard tidbit.

For those of you inclined to UFO it, file source https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3985594
Original looks like this -
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lICpMGzONHQ/UdwmYN1giEI/AAAAAAAABuc/FCOm_B3ktZo/s1600/6932018484_60618a99a3_o.jpg

Nothing more than black primer with a silver overspray. Blue tarps over cockpits sloppily ripped from a plastic shopping bag. Luftwaffe cross from the spares envelope (first couple of tries, the transfers disintegrated due to old age). This copy was printed at 1:72nd scale, so as modeled this incarnation would be proportionally larger than the original (or just shy of 22' diameter).

*German word of the day: Das Luftkissenfahrzeug - The Local
https://www.thelocal.com/20190204/word-of-the-day-das-luftkissenfahrzeug/

« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:30:47 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2021, 01:15:35 AM »
As far as the backstory, I thought this would be an early 1970s German version of the AVRO VZ-9 (in the same vein at the MBT-70/KPZ-7), but *bigger* (because German).

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar and https://www.autoweek.com/news/technology/a1837251/flying-saucer-was-meant-be-flying-jeep-us-army/

Note that the US Army version sported a 106mm Recoilless Rifle
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Army_Avrocars_02.jpg

Inspired by Buzzbomb (http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=9617.0 ), I figured the Germans would have fitted a MILAN ATGM Firing Post to their model (the 106mm having a range of 1,350m, while the MILAN was 2,000 to 3,000 m).

The prototype was quickly found to be too big, too expensive, not enough boom for the DM and quietly surplussed off.

UPDATE 05 JUNE 2023 - look what I found.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 04:23:30 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2023, 09:41:14 PM »
Even TIN TIN is in on this.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2023, 08:38:06 AM »
More interesting tidbits to read

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2023, 09:00:00 AM »
How did I miss this !!!!! :o

Totally insane & inspiring ! .... page saved for future re-reading.

Offline kim margosein

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2023, 09:30:02 AM »
Weren't the Kecksburg marking also found on the Wolfsburg Walnut?  How about the Hanover Hazelnut? 

Offline Story

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2023, 09:30:48 AM »
How did I miss this !!!!! :o

Totally insane & inspiring ! .... page saved for future re-reading.

Offline Story

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2023, 08:01:30 PM »
I am not alone.
Tripped over on Facebook.
Top notch work he does.

Offline aerospacer

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2023, 12:51:38 PM »

A management reorganization analogon is "different tree, same monkeys."
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline Story

« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2024, 07:34:10 AM »
Only took six & 1/2 years  ??? but finally got around to adding a little color to the interiors. I'm ambivalent about exterior markings.

How do we embed videos around here again?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 07:37:14 AM by Story »

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2024, 07:00:08 AM »
According to the latest, Russia has the capability to put nukes in space .... not that Hollywood didn't know it first ("Space Cowboys").

So how about Russian or Nth Korean markings (or some other aligned country's) ?

Offline Story

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2024, 08:03:16 AM »
According to the latest, Russia has the capability to put nukes in space .... not that Hollywood didn't know it first ("Space Cowboys").

So how about Russian or Nth Korean markings (or some other aligned country's) ?

After generating such an epic backstory about snow Nazis?  I think naught.

Offline perttime

• The man has produced a Finnish Napier Heston Fighter...need we say more?
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2024, 02:35:23 PM »
How do we embed videos around here again?
I believe some browsers manage to display a video here if you use the Insert Flash button. And some browsers don't.

The colours of a combat vehicle tend to be there for a purpose. Generally to make it harder to see, unless frightening the enemy is a priority (like skulls on P-40s).

Somehow, I don't see these needing to hide in the snow or a jungle??
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 02:39:18 PM by perttime »

Offline Story

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2024, 12:27:51 AM »

Somehow, I don't see these needing to hide in the snow or a jungle??*

Yeah, that was the epiphany that came to me at 2.13AM not so long ago - pathological vanity aside, *why* would Snow Nazis bother with external markings, when the lack of such would just have the Americans dithering about aliens.  ???

Now HYDRA I could see, them boys marked everything.

*PS - how'd you know about the portal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66SP6IGBn9Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P23wCws2_FQ

Of course, if anyone bothered to read the reports Bird's single recon plane (at least the one that made it back) flew through ['sucked' was the actual verb used in the pilot debrief] an interdimensional portal and came out at one of the onion skin's malfunctioning portals at Lackawanna. What the crew saw was the morning sun reflecting off the glass walled skyscrapers of Manhattan. To think there's actually an earth-inside-of-earth is just plain silly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 12:36:48 AM by Story »