Author Topic: [U] Operation HIGH JUMP (1947)  (Read 32885 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
[U] Operation HIGH JUMP (1947)
« on: June 03, 2017, 03:04:03 AM »
This thread is
UNCLASSIFIED.

[U ] The following thread is a historical review, Friendly Forces Battle Damage Assessment (FF BDA) and Technical Intelligence assessment of items captured during Operation Highjump.

[U ] Officially titled The United States Navy Antarctic Developments Program, 1946–1947, was a United States Navy operation organized by Rear Admiral Richard E. Byrd, Jr., USN (Ret), Officer in Charge, Task Force 68, and led by Rear Admiral Richard H. Cruzen, USN, Commanding Officer, Task Force 68.

[U ]Operation Highjump commenced 26 August 1946 and ended in late February 1947.

[U ]Task Force 68 included 4,700 men, 13 ships, and 33 aircraft. Operation Highjump's publically stated primary mission was to establish the Antarctic research base Little America IV.

[U ] In actuality, the primary mission was to identify the location, capabilities and intentions of hold-out Nazi Scientists and SS personnel who had fled Europe in early/mid 1945.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:32:07 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 03:18:48 AM by Story »

Offline Story

Re: [U] Operation HIGH JUMP (1947)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 03:28:40 AM »
Now that you're all in the proper mood, this thread came about after reading a post by Frank3k. So Frank's box came in the mail today and the contents immediately went to the paint shop.

(Frank does nice work, but you folks knew that already...)

So, on the outside this looks like an easy build... but for the interior, *what* are we facing?  In the context of Operation High Jump, we'll assume that the Fourth Reich types armed some of their technology demonstrators and test-bed vehicles with advanced anti-shipping and anti-aircraft weaponry, in order to stop - or at least delay - Admiral Byrd's fleet.

Offline Story

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 03:42:42 AM »
"Hey, Sir. Flatbeds are outside with everything Recovery could sweep up. If you don't mind signing here,here aaand... here, that'd be great."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 03:48:21 AM »
[Cue X-Files theme music]

Looks like you are off to a good start on the paint work but the next image showing parts for a smoke detector have me wondering where this is going.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 04:00:59 AM »
[Cue X-Files theme music]

Looks like you are off to a good start on the paint work but the next image showing parts for a smoke detector have me wondering where this is going.  :)

Seriously, you know how hard it is to reverse-engineer advanced technology from a smoldering pile of quasi-radioactive parts?

Guess you'll just have to use your imagination and that's what this thread is for - y'all got a Martin PBM Mariner post-war build to show off? Luft-46 or the like builds?

How about Nazi rocket packs? Those are always a hoot.

Nazi UFOs are a thing. Who knew?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGKVF&P=FR&atrkid=V3ADW3A24148B_10642245165_pla-67528028445__36556522365_g_c_pla__1o4&gclid=CJzvj4L6n9QCFc6Eswod07sPTg

Even Wallyworld stocks 'em
https://www.walmart.com/ip/haunebu-II-WWII-German-Flying-saucer-1-72-UFO-model-kit/873523737?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=587&adid=22222222227084106277&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=196756108472&wl4=pla-314842529020&wl5=1025197&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112354378&wl11=online&wl12=873523737&wl13=&veh=sem

More homework reading
http://www.roswellufomuseum.com/research/ufotopics/naziufocrash.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1330566/Hitlers-secret-flying-saucer-Did-Fuhrer-plan-UFO-attack-London-NY.html
http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/522518/German-documentary-claims-Roswell-UFO-Nazis

I was hoping this model would spin-up enough to rend time & space, but no such luck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxwcAWumf0

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:17:01 AM by Story »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 04:16:40 AM »
I have my own battles to contend with in the form of that Testor's Area S4 UFO thing and my attempts at imagineering some kind of interior for the thing so I can appreciate your own struggles.  Antarctic NAZI Storm Troopers sporting jet belts was covered by that guy from Dust?  I recall one of his resin figures was fitted with some kind of jet/rocket pack. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 04:20:58 AM »
I have my own battles to contend with in the form of that Testor's Area S4 UFO thing and my attempts at imagineering some kind of interior for the thing

Oh, that's different. Weren't some of those Alien craft technically *living* things chock full oforganic technology?. See also the collected works of HR Giger (they let him wander around a couple of those things by himself, for a bit too long).

PS: Shoutout for the "Plates In Spaaaaaaaaaaaace" thread
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 04:25:23 AM by Story »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 05:02:55 AM »
LoL! :)

I would have been better off going the "Plates in Space" route TBH. 

Geiger made some really creepy stuff but that is just my view on his work as it definitely made the first Aliens film extra creepy. 

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 05:04:54 AM »
I resolved the docking issues with my UFO shape by using the tripod shape stand from the IDF Alien Attacker model produced by Lindberg shortly after that film was debuted.  Are you going to use some of those parts to create some kind of docking stand for your saucer? 

Offline Story

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 05:27:59 AM »
The following commentary made by the Project Senior Engineer.

Unser erster Schritt war, die fünf Motoren zu testen. Wenn jemand diesen Bausatz baut, sollten sie wirklich darauf achten, jede Motor-Gondel mit LED-Leuchten anzubringen. Beachten Sie die Räumboote im Hintergrund, für Maßstab.

Revolver und Rumpf-Layout. Details zum Innenraum werden in einer späteren Entsendung angesprochen.

Details des Fahrwerks und der unteren Rüstung. Dieser Bereich kann zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt mit Zinkchromat gewaschen werden.

Revolverprüfung zum Rumpf.

Offline Story

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 05:30:11 AM »
Are you going to use some of those parts to create some kind of docking stand for your saucer?

If I can acquire a 3" diameter slice of clear cylindrical Lexan tubing about twice the height of the landing gear/lower armor panels, that'd make a nice display cradle.

LoL! :) I would have been better off going the "Plates in Space" route TBH.  Geiger made some really creepy stuff but that is just my view on his work as it definitely made the first Aliens film extra creepy.

Perfect opportunity you got there to throw a curve ball and make something shocking.  :icon_fsm:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 05:32:26 AM by Story »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
Loving it so far 8)

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2017, 12:25:52 PM »
Gut gemacht!
Great to see that old Invader's kit being put to good use! Fantastic back story, too.

Offline Story

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »
Gut gemacht!
Great to see that old Invader's kit being put to good use! Fantastic back story, too.

The notion had been rattling around in the spare parts corner of my Imagination, until I saw your post. All of this lays at your feet. Thanks again.

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »

Offline Story

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 11:25:48 PM »
Orientation to Craft Operation Systems

[U ] #1 The following defines the major subsystems of this craft, as well as the weapons systems recovered and reconstructed.

[U ] #2 This is not meant to be a definitive analysis, and only addresses one Craft. Variations are to be expected.

[U ] #3 For orientation purposes on flight characteristics, see http://www.hawking.org.uk/space-and-time-warps.Html

See also http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2920305/Space-time-tunnel-Milky-Way.html

See also http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/fasterlight.php

[U ] #4 Suggested reading music for #3 https://youtu.be/kjxSCAalsBE

Link to viable song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gawTIcDmfZo
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:33:42 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
So now that you've all absorbed the egghead stuff, let's turn to the craft's two major subassemblies; the flight deck with engines (or "saucer") and the crew compartment and payload bay.

Saucer drive technology and construction is someone else's department, so we'll go down the rabbit hole on the interior (which I imagine feels like a cross between a Ju-88 flight deck, a Tiger II turret and the interior of a U-boat.

Yeah, most of the interior looks like this...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 11:39:34 PM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 11:35:56 PM »
So if this thing can jump point-to-point across Space-Time and only needs fuel for operations in the immediate Area of Interest, then beyond what's needed on the flight deck can be devoted to payload; Assault, 'Exploration' or... "Humanitarian Operations".

Everyone knows that all of Pax Americana's best weaponry was the result of Operation Paperclip. That'd be your stereotypical...

The weapons system on this was a precursor of the Vertical Launch System.

Two racks, with launch points in the center top of the saucer, allowed for warhead selection based on target.

Everybody tracking like a 'lazer' beam so far? Any questions? Buehler? Anyone?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:34:35 PM by Story »

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 02:39:36 AM »
This is coming right along, and great story! It's good to see this kit become something great, rather than sitting in my closet.

I love the "not my circus, not my monkeys" ("Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy") 

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »
 As a long time student of the odious myth of the Nazi flying saucers, I heartily approve of this, and look forward to seeing the work progress.

Offline Story

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
The mood, in a word, should be cramped.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:41:16 PM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
That said, it's bisected horizontally.

See if you can guess what went into this stew. Currently sitting @ 85% complete.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:49:41 PM by Story »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 02:13:00 AM »
This is coming along nicely.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Story

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2017, 03:06:32 AM »
ADDITIONAL COMBAT CAPABILITIES

[U ] 1. Capabilities: while this class of saucer's primary armament was a twin missile launcher, other operating systems were employed with lethal/catastrophic effect against contemporary Allied aircraft.

[U ] 2. Saucers were capable of both atmospheric as well as trans-dimensional flight, via gravitation engines and a portal drive respectively. Reference the gun camera frame B2309-30121946 (3), saucer pilots were able to score kills by A) initiating the first stage of the portal drive against airborne targets directly in 'front' of it [note the cone-shaped 'haze' to the left of saucer] and B) engaging the reverse polarity on the gravity engines when over airborne targets [indicated by expanding 'ball lightning'].

[U ] 3. Single frame of USN gun camera footage.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:28:40 AM by Story »