Author Topic: 1/35 Aerosani Vertolet (Aerosan helicopter)  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: 1/35 Aerosani Vertolet (Aerosan helicopter)
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 10:00:57 AM »
The KM-4 Vertolet is finished.

Looks like a helicopter...

I added one of the Aerosan's lights to act as a spotlight. I also added a pitot tube where the original headlight would have gone:

Getting ready to transport important supplies. I added a small radio antenna and braced the rear skid:

Obviously very important cargo in addition to the supplies in the box. Vodka (or beer):

Next up is the second aerosan.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 10:09:02 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 10:57:25 PM »
Sweet finish, Frank! 8)

Boris/Yuri/Pavel is starting to look pretty good, too, especially his T-shirt! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2022, 04:50:21 AM »
Inspired!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2022, 05:17:11 AM »
Oooh, Me Likey Dat !!
Just looks so right . . .   :smiley:

Taking the masks off the windows peeled some paint and one of the windows popped out
You probably know this already, but when I'm masking onto a painted surface, I reduce the tack of the tape by pressing it onto a piece of cloth, aka my trousers, before putting it on the model . . .

cheers,

Robin.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 05:19:01 AM by robunos »
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2022, 05:22:23 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Guy- I think Boris/Yuri/Pavel (or FRB as he's listed on the Reed Oak page) is due for a paint job; he's been in limbo for a while.

Robin - I used a liquid mask this time and it did its job a little too well.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2022, 05:49:49 AM »
<snip>
Obviously very important cargo in addition to the supplies in the box. Vodka (or beer):

<snip>
Has to be beer in the crate.  The Vodka would be transported in much larger containers and labeled as "De-Icing Fluid" :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2022, 07:14:10 AM »
Could be pivo/beer. But beer was considered a soft drink until recently.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2022, 10:24:53 AM »
I finished the figure - it's the 1/35 Modern civilian in jeans and T-shirt (FRB) from Reed Oak. Dressed in the standard uniform of "the yoots today" - jeans and a white t-shirt.

The closeups show that he needs some paint cleanup, especially between the t-shirt and the arms:

The eyes are decals from Archer Fine Transfers. They're tiny, tiny, tiny... but better than the alternatives:

But at a normal viewing distance, he looks OK:

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2022, 03:30:29 AM »
 Vladimir's punk little brother, Blutomir, methinks...

Splendid finish, Frank-it reminds me of a slightly sleeker, far less comfortable version of the Sikorsky H-5.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2022, 09:54:28 AM »
He does look a bit like Vova's little brother.

Funny thing - I've always wanted to make a 1/35 version of the H-5 and even have the Fiddler's Green paper model for it.

Online Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2022, 08:21:43 AM »
The painting on that figure is amazing, a skill that is beyond me at the moment but certainly something to aspire too.

Nice one !

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<

PS  the aerosan is pretty good as well  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 05:04:21 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2022, 09:33:59 AM »
This is the second aerosan helicopter, based on the NKL-6.

I decided to make it a coaxial, similar to the Yakovlev EG:

I was dreading either scratchbuilding in plastic or designing the rotor assembly in 3D - but in the end it was relatively easy.

Using that picture of the Yak EG and a side-view line drawing, I made a coaxial rotor assembly that's similar. I printed the parts out today:

Some of the support arms for the main rotor mast stuck to the supports used to print the assembly, so I replaced them with styrene rod. The balance disks on the rotor arms also suffered some distortion from lack of support during printing, but since they all came out with the same error... I decided to call it a "design feature" and not a bug. Here it is assembled:

The top rotor turns as well:

Overall, it came out OK. There are some issues, but not enough to beg a reprint. The blades themselves will be made of either styrene or paper. 3D printing them in resin or in ABS on the FDM printer is probably more trouble than it's worth.

I'm pretty far along with the interior and the large radial engine - a Shvetsov M-11 - which is the same engine used on the Yak-EG. The pilot's seat is just putty. I figured the pilot would need something more comfortable than wooden slats to sit on. I also added a plastic rod as a fuel line:

Here's the engine close up. I may add ignition wires but the kit engine is pretty nice OOB:

I mocked up the engine and rotor placement. I still need to come up with an engine mount and a transmission for the rotors:

The windows in this kit aren't as bad as in the KM-4:

Still, I cut them out and glued  them in place.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2022, 09:50:05 AM »
Wooden bench seats with cushions for the pilot (passengers are BYO) is just so Soviet! ;D ;D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2022, 10:22:08 AM »
I guess it makes sense for the aerosan - the passengers will be bundled up against the sub zero temps, so their clothing provides an adequate cushion. I just hope the don't drop anything between the slats - the only way to recover them would be by taking out the seats.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2022, 11:28:29 AM »
I wonder what dried fish smells like after a few weeks sitting under a seat? ??? :-X

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2022, 12:07:40 AM »
Probably about the same! The odor would have to compete with fuel smells, body odor and stale cigarette smoke.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2022, 01:40:11 AM »
I like :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2022, 12:25:15 PM »
I spent way too much time making the rotors. I wanted to make them by gently folding a sheet of plastic and gluing the long edges together (giving the rotor an airfoil shape) but the plastic I was using was too thick and it split. Plan B was to make the rotors out of paper (like I did with the AirJeep) but these rotors are much longer and they twisted as the paper dried. Plan C was to 3D print them in ABS and use the print as the core for a paper (or plastic) skin. That failed, in part because the resulting rotor was too heavy.

Finally, I cut strips of 0.020" plastic sheet for the rotor surfaces and glued a 1.5mm half round rod to one edge (to make the leading edge). I glued a 1mm half round rod directly behind the leading edge rod to provide support, then glued the other surface. I used some 1mm half round rod for the rotor tips, sanded to shape. Just to make things more visually interesting, I scored the inside surfaces to give a faint impression of ribs.

The rotors are pretty light, but they still pulled the rotor assemblies apart. So I drilled everything and threaded a copper rod from one rotor to the other.

The rotors are scaled to be slightly longer than the Yak-EG's rotors and in 1/35 scale they're pretty big. The whole assembly is just tacked down with poster putty:

Here's a closeup of the rotor head:

Next is to figure out a way to mount the rotor gear head/transmission and the engine placement. It didn't occur to me to check the clearance between the bottom rotor and the engine. It's going to be a pretty tight fit.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:29:47 PM by Frank3k »

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2022, 07:37:56 AM »
Sounds like its fighting you every inch of the way Frank. Good problem-solving thought and the outcome so far is a danged nice-looking bit of scale engineering  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2022, 11:02:11 AM »
Thanks - many of the problems/issues have been self inflicted. I could just put the transmission/gearing inside the cabin and plop the engine in the rear and call it a day, but I don't want to lose what little cabin room there is. It may come to that if the transmission I'm building looks too weird.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2022, 12:07:30 PM »
I was looking at other early helicopter designs and I found the Polish GIL BŻ-4 Żuk, which I'd never seen before yesterday. It looks familiar:

Cousin?

Here's a video (in Polish, with English subtitles) about the BZ-4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_WxYLLosHc

His channel has other interesting aircraft, including a jet powered AN-2

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2022, 01:04:09 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2022, 09:12:06 AM »
Almost done with the NKL-6 Helicopter- I just need to fix some paint and weathering issues and add a mailbag and some gear.

It's hard to get the body of the helicopter and the full span of the rotors in one shot:

The rotor head transmission is a random part from what looks like an old Tamiya tank. I used some styrene to match the curve of the roof. On the main landing gear, I extended the range of the former ski struts by adding a styrene rods to the pistons and connectors. The wheels/tires are from some ancient, anonymous 1/72 aircraft kit. The nose gear is from an old 1/48 Monogram Me-262, mated to the nose ski attachment. It rides a lot higher now. The external cargo area at the end, under the engine is just some lined styrene sheet and PE mesh. I figure it could be used to hold tools, oil cans, etc. :

I may add a step since the door is a pretty far off the ground:

The instrument panel is basically the same R44 helicopter IP that I used on the KM-4 helicopter:

More pictures tomorrow in sunlight.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2022, 02:20:22 AM »
That looks fantastic

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2022, 03:43:28 AM »
 Blessed St. Kamov! That came out splendid! The rotor assembly is really fine.