Author Topic: 1/35 Moderoid Multi-Purpose Exoframe  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
1/35 Moderoid Multi-Purpose Exoframe
« on: October 28, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »
I bought a couple of the Moderoid series of 1/35 exoframes/robots. The Multi-Purpose Exoframe looks like it belongs in a construction site (or in the Aliens franchise):

Scalemates entry:

The kit is OK, fairly basic and it's mostly snap fit. There are two identical kits in the box, with two build options (frame over the "cockpit" or no frame) and the option for either a female or male driver (although only one make driver is included), two hand types and what looks like a giant wrench. The figures are very basic. This is what the exoframe looks like OOB:

The odd "genitals" and knee-wheels allow it to roll:

OK... whatevs.

I also have a Bandai Portanova bot:

...I wondered if the parts were interchangeable:

They are, for the most part, but the combos aren't very appealing. So I went for the industrial look.

I removed the knee wheels and added hydraulic lines from wire-wrap wire and thin styrene rod:

I also added various small bits, mostly from the ever bountiful leftover parts from the AFV Club M151 Remote Weapon Station. The instrument panel is just a piece of styrene with a dial I  found and printed out:

The switches are PE from a 1/35 Blackhawk set:

From the front:

It reminds me of Roberto, the stabby psychopathic robot from Futurama:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: 1/35 Moderoid Multi-Purpose Exoframe
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »
Nicely done, Frank! :smiley:

Although I still prefer the layout of P-5000 Powered Work Loader from the "Aliens"-verse. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »
Nice work except for the wheel hanging down between it’s legs. It looks like it has a load in its pants. Otherwise definitely has possibilities.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 01:00:37 PM »
@Frank - I just finished watching the twelve part Obsolete Anime' series again last week and really enjoyed the six episodes I had missed from my previous viewing session.  Not quite ready to add this subject to my stash and I do appreciate your quick build of the kit and your additional details. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 01:08:20 PM »
Yeah, the full diapers isn't a good look. I'll try taking the wheel and support frame out - I don't think it provides any support. Or maybe replace the wheel with something else that can be either the battery or a fuel cell.

The same kit acts as the base for most of the other armored exoskeletons in the line.

@Jeff - I only watched Episodes 1 & 2 - the plots didn't grab me and I don't like the animation style. This model is in Episode 2

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 08:25:28 PM »
Frank, you left out one important tidbit; where did you buy this?

This looks like the perfect support crew system for a Gundam or similar.  Mechanics, loaders, etc...

I have that Portanova kit in the stash too.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 09:45:46 PM »
. . . except for the wheel hanging down between it’s legs. It looks like it has a load in its pants . . .

See if you can find/get a look at an old straight-to-video movie called 'Robot Jox', you'll be surprised what some robots hide between their legs . . .   ;)    ;D

cheers,
Robin.

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 10:42:22 PM »
@Jeff - I only watched Episodes 1 & 2 - the plots didn't grab me and I don't like the animation style. This model is in Episode 2
@Frank - The series has no logical sequence as I discovered while watching the episodes.  It is an odd approach to the story as it arcs all over the place without continuity.  Some of the later episodes precede the earlier episodes which is a bit annoying but I still enjoyed the series. 

Link to the Bandai YouTube Channel that has the Obsolete Anime' series uploaded and available to watch at no charge (with subtitles)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
. . . except for the wheel hanging down between it’s legs. It looks like it has a load in its pants . . .

See if you can find/get a look at an old straight-to-video movie called 'Robot Jox', you'll be surprised what some robots hide between their legs . . .   ;)    ;D

cheers,
Robin.

Crash and burn, baby. There is so much bad in that film, but the fight sequence is pretty good stop motion.
Pretty neat little mech, Frank. Are you going to keep the pilot figure, or replace it with something different?
Looking at the box art, a full drone treatment would be a straightforward conversion.

Offline robunos

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 11:18:35 PM »
Crash and burn, baby. There is so much bad in that film, but the fight sequence is pretty good stop motion.

Did a bit  of Googling about 'Robot Jox' after i posted here, apparently, part of the problem with the film was that the director wanted to make a kid-friendly film to cash in on the 'Transformers' craze, while the scriptwriter, Joe Haldeman who also wrote 'The Forever War', wanted it to be an adult film about the futility of war . . .
Also, the great Ron Cobb designed the robots . . .

cheers,
robin.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 11:31:46 PM »
Frank, you left out one important tidbit; where did you buy this?

HLJ had them at a deep discount a few months ago. They're still at a good price

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 11:40:27 PM »
Are you going to keep the pilot figure, or replace it with something different?
Looking at the box art, a full drone treatment would be a straightforward conversion.

I'll re-work the pilot figure, but it's not great - really bad flash and the guy has a disproportionately large butt - bigger than the tiny woman pilot's. Some of the other models in the series fully enclose the cockpit, so they are effectively drones.

@Robin - I saw "Robot Jox" (or some of it) on cable a long time ago. It was bad.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 04:33:13 AM »
Always something new (to me) out there.

Great potential there. Frank I like what you have done

Offline robunos

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 04:59:29 AM »
@Robin - I saw "Robot Jox" (or some of it) on cable a long time ago. It was bad.

Agreed . . .   ;D
But did you see the part where the Bad Guy Robot deploys the chainsaw . . . ?   :icon_crap:
Nice job with the model, it really has that 'Real World' feel, will look even better once the operator's done.   :smiley:

cheers,
Robin.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 06:02:51 AM »
"You want I should clamp him, Boss?"

Love the industrial angle you're taking here, Frank  :smiley:

... the guy has a disproportionately large butt ...

The cost of all that sitting-down on the job ...  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2021, 05:56:05 AM »
I finally finished the driver figure. It lacks detail and the molding isn't great, so this is a minimum effort paint job. I even made sunglasses/VR goggles out of CA soaked cardboard to avoid having to paint eyes:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2021, 01:07:27 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2021, 10:35:07 AM »
Nicely done, Frank! :smiley:

Although I still prefer the layout of P-5000 Powered Work Loader from the "Aliens"-verse. ;)

Said it here. ;) :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."