Author Topic: Crossbreeds Part 03  (Read 3378 times)

Crossbreeds Part 03
« on: July 18, 2016, 10:02:55 AM »

Hello all

Last installment (for a while) on the crossbreeds. I'm off for a work trip for a few days so hopefully by the time I get back the varnish should have dried and I can post some pics.

The donor kits (and I use the word 'kit' very losely) are the following wonderful  :o, early, Academy offerings.

If you are ever thinking of buying these - for a heavy discount - do yourself a favour and buy a square block of resin instead and carve out the aircraft! It would be easier and also look closer to the real thing. Small list of issues:
  • Shapes all wrong on both - terribly wrong on the F104
  • Mis-mouldings - the ventral strakes on the F16 are totally different sizes, as are all the weapons (fins short shot etc)
  • Decals - ARRGH!  :icon_sueno: Nothing like the box art for the F16. For the F104 the ink ran under a coat of Passt (Aussie Future), under Tamiya gloss, under Testors Semi- Gloss (all acrylics mind you), ran like all heck under Mr Mark and Micro-Mark products.
  • It all does not fit - split F104 fuselage in half dry fitting the efflux; F16 intake looked like it had a goiter, shaved off a ton of plastic and it still does not look right.

On top of this I dropped both a few times, misaligned some underwing stores, and sanded out a few fingerprints. Worst of all I am converting to acrylics and for some reason the Gunze blue on the F16 crazed even though the Gunze white dod not - this after 2 weeks hardening and using Passt which is the single most benign clear coat I have ever come across [you can drink it and live - just ask my stupid cat].

At the end I am pleased with these though. If this is all that goes wrong modelling wise for the next 12 months I will be a very happy camper.

These two builds are not as subtle as my F16 - Mirage F1 crosses that I have previously posted - I think some may have thought these were only paint jobs, but no, twas more.

Until later in the week

Ciao
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: Crossbreeds Part 03
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
You've certainly got your work cut out for you :)) I certainly wouldn't do it, rather a Vac-Form instead :o :o
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
Back now, so here's the pics of the finished products. Its a straight flying surfaces swap and then sticking to the schemes in the box.

First up, an F-16A with F-104G flying surfaces, out of box decals and blue on white color scheme (look for the crazing in the Gunze Blue) and some stores from the spares box:

Second, the F-104 with F-16A flying surface, out of box colours and markings (including nightmare decals).

Both of them on Airfix stands - didn't want the extreme hassle of the undercarriages - and I am pretty happy with them.

Until next time, with something totally different

Caio
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »
Woweee,,,  two straight forward (not complex) creative builds that work so well. :)
Look RW, put them on the flight line.

Offline DFZ

• Bitten by the Viper...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 09:44:27 PM »
The F-104 looks so much better with bigger wings! Great work! :)
"Stick and stones may brake some bones but a 3,57's gonna blow your damn head off!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 04:40:11 AM »
Both of those look fantastic!! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 06:02:34 AM »
Most of all I like the F-104  :-*,good job !
Alex

Offline secretprojects

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »
There were a lot of F-104 rewing /re-engine projects actually drawn up, so its pretty realistic.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »
These are both great, Mushi! I've never thought of cross-kitting these birds but in your skilled hands the concept shines in grand style! The camo on the FalconStarWing is a real treat but it's that StarFalconFighter that really gets my attention!

Using the standard Bundesmarine to finish this baby is the cherry on top!

You have every reason to be pleased with these beauties and then some!

Outstanding!!!

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 11:09:53 PM »
Well done and very right looking, despite the crude nature of what you started with.  Bravo!!

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
Simply superb crossbreeds man!!! 8) 8) :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"