Author Topic: The Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck in RAAF Service  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
The Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck in RAAF Service
« on: December 03, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »
The Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck in RAAF Service

When the RAAF entered the Korean War in 1950, it was very obvious that it's F-51 Mustangs were very much behind the curve of moden aeronautical developments.  The USAF was already fielding large numbers of jet aircraft, the F-80 Shooting Star, the F-84 Thunderstreak and the soon to be introduced F-86 Sabre.  The Communists were quick to introduce their latest aircraft in the MiG-15, which completely outclassed the RAAF's piston-engined aircraft.  Hurriedly, the RAAF ordered Gloster Meteors from the UK, having already had limited experience with the type, just after WWII when in 1946 a Meteor captured Australian newspaper headlines when it flew over Melbourne at 788 km/h (490 mph). Imported on 7 June 1946, this Meteor F 4 carried out trials at Laverton and Darwin and, at one time, carried two identification numbers - the RAF serial EE427 and the RAAF allocation A77-1. However, it was not until 1951, when Meteors went into action with No 77 Squadron in Korea, that these aircraft made their mark in RAAF history.

Ninety-three Meteor F 8s and six Meteor T 7s were allocated to the Korean War with scattered serial numbers ranging between A77-2 (T 7) and A77-982 (F 8). They were used mainly in the ground-attack role, but also accounted for three MIG-15s. Forty-one F 8s and three T 7s returned to Australia aboard HMAS Vengeance, and continued on in service with the RAAF, as second-line fighters until 1963.   The Meteor was an excellent introductory aircraft to jet propulsion, however as was discovered when facing the far faster and more manoeuvrable, swept-wing fighters it had severe limitations.

Another was that the Meteor was purely a clear weather fighter, with no radar.  The RAAF found this limited it's usefulness, particularly in the wintery skies above Korea.  So, it began a search for an all-weather fighter compliment to it.  Internationally, there were several alternatives available - a variant of the Meteor (based on the T.7), the F-89 Scorpion and the Canadian CF-100 Canuck.   However, due to the massive re-equipment of the RAF and USAF as a consequence of the Korean War emergency, neither the UK or the US would be in a position to fulfil any orders from the RAAF for several years.  When the performance characteristics of the three contenders were compared and confirmed by an investigating commission sent overseas to test the aircraft, the CF-100 was a clear winner, particularly when it was able to demonstrate that it could break the sound barrier in a dive.  Avro Canada, manufacturers of the CF-100 were quite willing to negotiate a license production agreement with Australia.

The Australian Government Aircraft Factories started licensed production of 50 CF-100 Canuck aircraft in 1953 (48 fighters and 2 TF-100 trainers).  Entering service with the RAAF serial A82, they were issued to Nos 21,22 and 23 Squadrons.  During their service lives from 1954 to 1966, the CF-100s were steadily upgraded from Mk.3 to Mk.5 standard, with the main changes being to electronic equipment and eventually armament.  Unlike Canadian and Belgian versions, the RAAFs were armed to carry 4 x 30mm ADEN cannon instead of the standard 8 x .50in machineguns, an armament they retained throughout their careers.  In 1960, while waiting their replacement, they were finally upgraded to operate air-to-air missiles (2 x AIM-7C Sparrow and 2 x AIM-9B Sidewinder).   Their advanced, for the day, radars and air intercept systems allowed them to find and destroy targets in all weathers and times of day, an advantage particularly in the tropical storms experienced in and around Darwin and far North Queensland when the main day fighter for the period, the CA-27 Avon Sabre lacked any radar.

The aircraft depicted is that of A82-5, serving with 21 Squadron, Richmond, in 1960.  Unusually, this aircraft does not carry it's serials, which in the various pictures of it has never been fully explained.

The Model

This is the venerable Hobbycraft CF-100 Mk.4, in 1/72 scale.  It is constructed as standard, except for the addition of four underwing hardpoints and the missiles they carry.  I experimented on this model with Baremetal Foil. As a consequence, I've learnt a lot and will more than likely continue to use it (or plain Aluminium foil) in future for bare metal finishes.  I'm pleased with the results.  Much better than anything I've achieved from a tin of paint.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Re: The Avro Canada CF-100 Canuck in RAAF Service
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
Very nice  :)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:33:30 AM »
Very nice and very plausible.  Would this lead to Australia being a partner in CF-105 development?

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
Very nice and very plausible.  Would this lead to Australia being a partner in CF-105 development?

Unfortunately no.  As noted, just as the RAAF started seriously looking at the CF-105 as a replacement, them pesky Canadians decided to cancel it.  However, that didn't prevent one CF-105 being seen sporting Kangaroos in the middle of it's roundels when the Canadians were trying to sell it to Canberra (which may appear at some point in the future...or not ;) )

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
How did you apply the Bare Metal Foil? I've always wanted to try it, maybe on a P-51 or something similar, but it's always seemed to be a daunting process.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 02:43:31 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 03:55:35 AM »
Wow! What a shiny stunner, Rickshaw!

Your Canuck is sure to turn lots of heads!

Brian da Basher

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
How did you apply the Bare Metal Foil? I've always wanted to try it, maybe on a P-51 or something similar, but it's always seemed to be a daunting process.

Bare Metal is a self-adhesive foil.  Basically after you've finished cleaning the model up and have undercoated it a uniform colour (and given it a light sanding) you cut sections of foil and peel the backing paper off and lay it on the model.  Small sections are often better, particularly with complex curves.  Once it's on the model, you take a cottonbud (which I believe are called "q-tips" in the US?) and rub gently and the foil will work down into the curves and lumps and bumps.  Keep working it until all the wrinkles are out.  Then lay the next piece on, with a slight overlap.  Rub harder where the overlap is and the join will usually disappear.  Several important points - use a very sharp knife/pair of scissors to cut the foil.  Cut from the back to the front, that way you'll avoid serrations.  Use a very sharp knife/razor blade to trim foil ends if they need to be removed once on the model.  For things like drop tanks, long, thing pieces laid lengthwise seem to work best, overlapping as you work around the drop tank.

If you cut really thin strips you can use it as I did for the cockpit framing as well but it's really hard to do that, I found.  Best to put a layer of Future/Klear on the cockpit first and then the foil followed by another coating of Future/Klear.

Be aware that if you want to attach things after the foil has been put on, you'll need to use superglue and be aware that this can damage the foil if too much is used (and it may several "coats" to get a surface that it will full adhere to).  Otherwise you'll need to scrape the foil off to get plastic glues to work properly.

After you've put the foil on and rubbed it down.  Rub it down again, with a soft cloth to remove the oil from your fingers which will have gotten on it.  You can use Future/Klear on it for decals.