Author Topic: My stuff...  (Read 5595 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
My stuff...
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:36:13 AM »
...I tried, but failed. Each time I wanted to get some work done on these languishing projects, I remembered why I set them aside in the first place.

Avro Canada CEF-108A Archer... After I got started with the one intake that's in place and roughly finished, I realised that I should've done the canopy area first, filling in all the gaps. But with the intake there, I couldn't get to the gaps sufficiently well on that side, so I set it aside... and there it is.

Supermarine (BC) Skemcis F Mk VI. The fuselage part was relatively easy to get to where it is (Hobby Boss Hurricane and RS Models Avia B534). Mating that with the wings is the problem! I've bought three different Corsair kits (Hobby Boss, Academy, Airfix) in the hope that one of them will have wings that slot into the fuselage, instead of being connected together in one piece with part of the belly. Alas, they're all like that. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to try getting the wings and fuselage together, but I'm drawing blanks. :(

I'd really like to figure it out, though, as I've sillily already invested in kits for other Skemcis variants...
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: My stuff...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
Great starts though  :)  On the Skemcis, might it be easier to tack a larger section of the Corsair's belly on to the underside of the Hurricane fuselage?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »
Looking forward to seeing these completed.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:15:08 AM »
On the  CEF-108A Archer, if you can remove the canopy(doesn't look like it...) you can build up the gap with either plastic shims or CA + talc. Sanding the strips behind the canopy look tough. I think the easiest option is to remove the intake and finish off the canopy area.

Quote from: apophenia
On the Skemcis, might it be easier to tack a larger section of the Corsair's belly on to the underside of the Hurricane fuselage?

My though as well.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:54:59 AM »
Shim, cover, and sand.

Have a quick conversation with yourself and decide if "good or close enough" is acceptable, or if "more perfect" is what you are going for. My kit bashes improved when I decided that close was good enough, the desire for perfection was what was stopping me. Sometimes a "just finish" or "just make it work" mindset gets you going and then you find solutions along the way.  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:59:44 AM »
Those are some seriously impressive projects, Ms. Litvyak!

The Skemcis has me very envious indeed.

Regarding that baby, here's what I'd do: cut the Corsair wings off with a razor saw and butt-join them to the new fuselage, maybe with CA or with tube glue, using some CA as a kicker.

Granted, my building style can best be described as "Neolithic" so others may have more elegant solutions.

I can't tell you what a treat it is for me to finally see some of your 3D work!

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
In my view I think you're doing very well, it's all part of the learning experience when it comes to kitbashing.  Sometimes you have to take a step or two backwards so for the '108' I would cut off the intake part at the point where it attaches to your made up part. Then fix up the cockpit area ---

Your Supermarine (BC) Skemcis looks really interesting, I would re-think the wing root fairing flare you have left on the Hurricane part.  You could cut it off and then glue it back on later to match the wing anhedral.

Many of my kitbashes take a long time to formate in my mind, sometimes years.  Then, for some reason or other, when I do start something it seems to fall into place.  You'll find though as you do more kitbashing, things tend to come a little easier so don't give up now ---

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 06:55:46 AM »
Those are some seriously impressive projects, Ms. Litvyak!

The Skemcis has me very envious indeed.

Regarding that baby, here's what I'd do: cut the Corsair wings off with a razor saw and butt-join them to the new fuselage, maybe with CA or with tube glue, using some CA as a kicker.

Granted, my building style can best be described as "Neolithic" so others may have more elegant solutions.

I can't tell you what a treat it is for me to finally see some of your 3D work!

Brian da Basher
Nice looking builds!  I would do as Brian says, but put in a Balsa wood block that will allow you to put in a wing spar for a nicely supported, solid join.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 07:02:15 AM »
Taking a closer look at the Skemcis pics, I think you can cover those large gaps in front and behind the wings with thin plastic sheet.

The gaps at the wing roots look like they could be filled with putty easily. Alternately, you could just keep adding shims made from more sheet plastic and sand it down.

You may not realize it, but that baby's actually almost built!

Brian da Basher

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
What they said :o ::) ??? Nice to see someone as warped as myself ;) :) :-*

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 10:56:38 AM »
Wow, thanks for all the feedback!

Firstly, to TT: that's probably the best suggestion of all of them... and so I've decided that my priority for these two will be to finish them. If they're not perfect they're not perfect, but I figure finished models will be more inspirational than incomplete hulks! :)

I'm going to concentrate on the Archer first, I think that will require less creative thought to finish off... once the canopy area and the intakes are done, the major work will be complete, whereas I think I'll need to do more thinking about the best way to do the Skemcis. But there's a few ideas here that have given me some things to consider!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."