Author Topic: F-106G Dart 2000  (Read 11586 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
F-106G Dart 2000
« on: February 21, 2016, 02:11:32 AM »
After several abortive projects for upgraded versions of the F-106 Delta Dart, General Dynamics proposed a factory rebuild/upgrade to address all the negative aspects of the F-106 while preserving the excellent qualities of the interceptor.  Designated F-106G, the project was referred to as Dart 2000 because of the anticipated in service entry date of late 1999 or early 2000. 

I am aware that such an upgrade would have been superfluous with the F-16 and F-15 in service.  But the F-106 has always been one of my favorite aircraft and I've often imagined a modernized version, so here we go!

Below are the plans I currently have in hand:

1. Replace the F-106's J75 with an F-110, being 1/3 lighter, but with greater maximum thrust and better fuel consumption, plus easier maintenance.
2. Replace F-106 lateral intakes with more modern, variable ramp inlets shaped like those of the F-15.
3. Replace the F-106's missile bay with a permanent M61A1 20mm cannon mount, plus additional internal fuel and avionics space.
4. Replace the MA-1 fire-control system with the APG-63 fit of the F-15.
5. A new, glass cockpit; new canopy and redesigned forward fuselage.
6. New missile armament of 4x AIM-4 or AMRAAM in semi-recessed fuselage mountings, plus 2x AIM-9 on cropped wingtips, plus up to four more on underwing mountings.
7. Various ECM/ECCM upgrades (bumps and antennae). 

I will be using the Hasegawa F-106A kit in 1:72, plus various other bits I will point out along the way.  Photos will be coming. 

Chuck

Offline Acree

Re: F-106G Dart 2000
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 02:14:23 AM »
Forgot to mention, new ACES II ejection seat and POSSIBLE canards.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »
Awesome! This has been on my to do list for a long time. I'll be watching with great interest
One bit heard about the 106 and its radar was that it was so powerful that it would jam F-15 radar in air to air training

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 04:32:28 AM »
I am aware that such an upgrade would have been superfluous with the F-16 and F-15 in service...

Perhaps the Dart 2000 rebuilds are for export à la the Military Assistance Program F-5s?

As you probably know, Convair proposed Delta Dart variants with canard surfaces - including the 'least mod' F-106X with alternative canard positions (low- or high-mounted). Any chance of General Dynamics introducing canards on the Dart 2000?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Acree

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:39:31 AM »
There is certainly the possibility of canards.  I'm assessing the aesthetics, as that is my personal driving motivation. ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 04:45:36 AM »
"If it looks right, it is right."  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Acree

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 05:17:39 AM »
I concur!  Frankly, I don't like the look of the F-106X's canards, so if I do them, they will surely look different from those.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »
This will definitely be one build worth watching :)

It'll be a great comparison to my Hasegawa F-106.

Must say though, by all means use AMRAAM, but ditch the AIM-4 Falcons as they are next to useless, outperformed in all aspects by the AIM-9 Sidewinder and its developments. :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »
Going to enlarge the radome as illustrated in the D&S book?  That could definitely add capability (F-15 radar at a minimum).  You might want to add a second set of underwing hardpoints half way between the existing pylons and the wing tips.  Going for reduced outboard leading edge sweep to fit Sidewinder/ASRAAM/etc. launch rails or going with an extended chord and dogtooth to get the same effect?

Offline Acree

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 07:10:54 AM »
Definitely ditching the Falcons!!  That "AIM-4" was a typo - meant to say AIM-7. But it will be AMRAAM anyway. Definitely enlarging the radome, too. 

Offline DFZ

• Bitten by the Viper...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »
Oh yeah, this is going to be good! I'm tagging along for the ride too! ;)
Personally i've never been very interested in the 106 till recently. Watched a doc about the cold war jets a few weeks ago and it really stuck with me since... Guess that's another add to the to-buy list... ;)

Zen
 :icon_meditation:
"Stick and stones may brake some bones but a 3,57's gonna blow your damn head off!"

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »
Can't wait to see this one finished!

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 02:37:22 PM »
changing the canopy and windscreen would do wonders for the F-106.  New seat and instrument panel would also be nice to see.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Rage

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2016, 03:34:46 PM »
So completely gonna keep tabs on this. I had toyed with this idea on paper and found my end result (new engine, canopy, and canards) kept coming out too Mirage-ish. I think your intake mods will be the key.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
changing the canopy and windscreen would do wonders for the F-106.  New seat and instrument panel would also be nice to see.
Blown canopy like that fitted to them later in life and a blown windscreen without that massive center structure would definitely change the look.

Offline Acree

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 02:04:05 AM »
My canopy change will be more radical even than that.  I am attempting to use a Eurofighter Typhoon canopy.  I have a backup plan if that fails. 

The whole canopy / radome / nose re-engineering is the biggest challenge for me right now.

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 02:36:12 AM »
Semi-related: this thread made me read up on F-106, and repeated exposure to front views of her made me realize that especially with the original canopy and those inlets she must certainly have been at least a partial inspiration for the Colonial Vipers from Battlestar Galactica.

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »
This is off topic, but the original designers used X-15, F-104, F-4 and F-107 as their inspiration for the 'compact' (27') Colonial Vipers.
Oops  :-[ forgot F4D Skyray :)
Cheers all  8)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 12:58:24 PM by FAAMAN »

Offline Acree

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 02:57:05 AM »
I have made some progress on the Dart 2000.  The first picture below shows the F-110 in the package - nice little kit with detail few will ever see (brass flame holders deep inside the afterburner).  The second pic shows the F-110 built up next to the kit pats it replaces.  The third shows the new engine nozzle in situ (temporarily).  The F-110 will sit further aft than the j-75 due to center of gravity issues and to allow the variable nozzle to sit outside the shroud that covered the J-75's fixed nozzle. 

Next, I have begun to tackle the intakes.  I took the intakes from an F-15C (Hasegawa) and cut them down in all three dimensions to mate up with the F-106 intake trunking.  Much PSR follows and I still need at least one more PSR session, but you can get the idea.

I have also started work on the cockpit and nose changes.  More pics soon!

Chuck

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 06:59:04 AM »
Way cool!!  8) 8)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:40 AM »
This is awesome!

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
Wonder how the vertical fin from an F-16 would look on the F-106?  Especially one of the fins that includes the parachute housing.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Acree

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 03:00:48 AM »
Got some more done on the Dart 2000.  Today's photos show the nose work.  It actually went easier than I expected...  after a lot of playing around and thinking.  The first photo shows the new nose without radome, the second with radome (not glued), and the third is a peek into the cockpit.  The last pic is a leftover from last time showing the new intakes again.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 10:39:52 AM »
Looking good! I'm taking notes

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 11:30:33 AM »
Fascinated how well these changes are integrating into an F-106. :)