Author Topic: Parts & Pieces Part 3  (Read 10974 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Parts & Pieces Part 3
« on: February 25, 2012, 12:49:26 AM »
Here's the next one on deck for this GB. The fuselage & engine are from a 1/72 Tony that Frank3k sent in the Big Box O' Parts and the wings are from a 1/72 KOR-1. You can also see some of those nice vacformed spats Mr Fontaine made for me a while back.

I'm hoping to get started on this one later today.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:55:18 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Parts & Pieces Part 3
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »
Glad to see my vacu-form spats are finally getting put to use :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
Thanks again for those spats, Mr Fontaine. Earlier today, I put the fuse together and glued the nose and bottom wings on and put the spats together. Tomorrow I hope to have her up on her new landing gear and post some more pics.

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
Very intriguing combo  :). Were this anyone else's build, I'd anticipate something like the Avia B-534. But this is BdB so all predictions are foolhardy  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »
Here she is up on her spatted landing gear. The prop and horiz. stabs. aren't glued on yet.

The gear inside the spats has the Tony kit wheels and struts. I did this because the spats are vacformed and needed some internal support.

Brian da Basher

P.S. I took another look and it turns out the prop actually is glued on. D'oh! This will teach me to play with parts before the stuff is fully dry.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:38:17 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
Looking nice Brian.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »
A-100%   :)
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »
I just love how you take these parts and not only make something out of them, but something that looks great as well  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 06:26:30 AM »
In November, 1934 during a midnight meeting on the next expansion of Grande Italia, Mussolini, Il Duce, got hungry (planning conquests always made him hungry). Finding the kitchen closed at that late hour, his aide ordered food delivered from the only all-night restaurant in Rome, Greg Foo-Yung's House of Chop Suey. Never having tried Chop Suey before, Il Duce was immediately hooked. Soon he was eating it morning, noon and night and proclaiming the wonders of Chop Suey:

Eventually, Il Duce issued a decree making Chop Suey the national food of Italy:

There was even a famous conference with Hitler in 1935 where Chop Suey was served:

Unfortunately, der Führer preferred creme-filled pastries.

Finally, Il Duce changed the markings of the Regia Aeronautica:

This was all too much for Colonello Dominic Domino, commander of the 20th Sqn. based just outside of Rome. In a fit of pique on the evening of March 11, 1936, "Dom" Domino had the fascist "chop suey" markings on his Ansaldo A-10 Antonio over-painted in more traditional Italian colors and took off to set things right.

Continued...

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:52:00 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »

...oh and the model isn't bad either.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 06:49:40 AM »
Colonello "Dom" Domino flew straight for il Palazzo per le Persone Più Importante di Lei (Palace for People More Important than You), official residence of Il Duce. Using the Antonio's upper wing 20 m.m. cannon to great effect, the Colonello completely destroyed the third floor master bedroom and bath. At the time, Il Duce was "seated on the throne" as often happened after a Chop Suey binge and not even his snow peas survived. After this, "Dom" Domino vented the rest of his rage by strafing Greg Foo-Yung's House of Chop Suey on La strada di Generale Tso.

Fearing reprisals by the Black-Shirts, the Colonello flew to Sardinia where he boarded an olive oil tanker headed for America, exclaiming "L'America, una terra libera dall'oppressione di Chop Suey! (America, a land free from Chop Suey oppression!)"

Without Il Duce to lead them, the fascists were tossed out of power, replaced by a small-town mayor and oenophile named Italo Bombolini and his Chianti party, known for their slogan, "In vino veritas" (In wine there is truth).

"Dom" Domino went on to open one of the first pizzerias in the U.S. which later grew into the famous Domino's Pizza chain, that to this day does not have Chop Suey on their menu. As for his Ansaldo A-10 Antonio, it was recovered from the Sardinian field where it had been abandoned and is now on display at the Museo di Aviazione in Rome, across the street from Won Hung Lo's Meatball Buffet.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:36:24 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »

...oh and the model isn't bad either.

What hee hee hee said

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
 ;), love the plane!!
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
The back story is hilarious! The plane is great, too - and a chop suey of plastic parts! It's good to see that old Tony being put to good  use.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:17:45 AM »
 That'sa very very silly you. The plane, itsa bellisimo!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:27 AM »
... il Palazzo per le Persone Più Importante di Lei (Palace for People More Important than You)...

;D Worth the price of admission by itself! Hilarious backstory and a brilliant combo/build BdB!

[BTW, is that a Polikarpov spinner Brian?]
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Doom!

• Slayer of pixels and plastic!
  • Glad to be here!
    • Doom Island 2
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 07:34:28 AM »
Thanks now I'm Hungry!    Your builds are a lot like Chop suey, They are always satisfying but it doesn't take long and I'm ready for you to do another!
Doom!
Jeff G.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »
[BTW, is that a Polikarpov spinner Brian?]

Ack! You found me out! Great eye there, apophenia!

Glad you guys liked this one. I had a blast with it. And all this just to get around using W.W. II Italian fascist markings. You see, my grandfather was anti-fascist and Mussolini built a road through his house. They're subtle like that in the old country.

Brian da Basher

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
This One...
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 01:10:38 AM »
...is REALLY, REALLY good, Brian!

I had wanted (and may still) to make a "Tony" (Kawasaki Ki-61) in Italian markings, but this one one-ups even MY fertile/rotten imagination!
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Now thats funny......  ;D

Great work mate. Is your next project going to show Hitler`s love of a curry....??  ;)
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
Not sure if I like the story or the model better!  :)

Offline sequoiaranger

• Gone but not forgotten. He already has a team of angels working up his bench in the sky!
  • Holding Pattern
  • E Pluribus Unum (modeling style)
A Bit Like Cr-42 DB Falco!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
There was an experimental, inline-engined CR-42 Falco, apparently holding the record for the FASTEST biplane (518 km/hr). Pic:

http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=AFC72003

But I like yours better---looks larger, stronger, and...BETTER!
My mind is like a compost heap--fertile AND rotten!