Author Topic: 1/72 Italeri Hellcat RAN FAA  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
1/72 Italeri Hellcat RAN FAA
« on: April 12, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »
With some free time after Easter I decided to get stuck into this one rather than the other started builds and all was looking good for painting today when I noticed a misalignment on the wing centre section to fuselage join.  I had seen the problem last night but thought I had fixed it, clamping and taping it in place but today I have had to strip the wings off, remove a fair bit of plastic and try again.  I hope I have left enough time to finish this and or one or two of the other builds I started.

Offline Volkodav

Re: 1/72 Italeri Hellcat RAN FAA
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:49:29 PM »
Fixed but it cost me a day.  The fuselage was warped which caused the problem, it wasn't obvious until I took the tape and clamps off it the first time but now after a fair bit of filing it seems ok time for paint.

I have decided after 32 years of modelling to try airbrushing, hope it turns out well enough to bother using the decals.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »
Missed the deadline, just ran out of time.  My 20 minute appointment at the cancer centre turned into two and a half hours and stuffed the rest of the day.  By the time I had finished the hydro therapy session, I ended up running late for because of chemo, I had to go pick up the kids.  This was a long was from my plan to do initial coats on this kit, as well as the two destroyers, before hydro, another coat before getting the kids and the final after my wife got home. 

In the end I didn't get to start until my wife got home at 6 pm, thereby ending any chance of getting these kits finished.   :(

As I haven't attached undercarriage, canopy, engine, cowling or done any top coats in the final colour, perhaps I could con this into the extended service life GB....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:09:37 PM by Volkodav »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 11:12:25 PM »
At least you got closer than I did, mate, & I've been working on mine for weeks! ;)

I'll be interested to see this finished, as I have a 1/48 Hellcat to do in either RAM or RAN markings ca. WW2.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
I've got three 1/72 Hellcats, this Italeri 3/5 that I've done as a 5, an Eduard 5 Weekend Edition and a Dragon N model.  I also have a RAN FAA decal sheet with full markings for five different aircraft, some with Roo roundels.  I intend using one or two sets for actual Seafuries but the rest for Hellcats, including a overall blue nightfighter.