Author Topic: 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group  (Read 2674 times)

Offline tc2324

• Just slightly on the edge of madness......!
309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
I know I`ve been a bit quiet of late with the posting of models but the 74 Sqn collection is a priority at the moment.

However.......

A year or two ago I got a cheap`ish old Monogram F-4J which probably dated back to the early Jurassic period.

Once received,  I opened the box to find a number of issues the main one being that it had more Warp than the Starship Enterprise and even Scotty couldn`t really save it.

So it ended up in the spares box doomed to a lonely life with only a broken Meteor and half a Canberra for company.

Moving on to the present and for a recent Phantom GB I had an idea for what I could do with that dodgy Phantom.

OK..., so it`s not really a whif as such, but I came up with this.......,

F-4J Phantom II
309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG)

Now before you ask this is more an experimental build to find out how far with limited materials I could get to make it look run down in open storage.

The markings are fictional with much of what  you see scratch built.

The water marks are a mix of dark enamels and watered down dark wash.

The faded out markings have been lightly painted over, allowed to dry for a minute or two and then gently rubbed off to effect.

The spraylat effect is quite simply PTFE thread seal tape which if done properly, (and much better than my effort), could give an excellent effect.

Think that`s pretty much about it from memory and certainly an enjoyable way to reuse an old tired kit that wasn`t fit for purpose.
Whiffing is for Life...., not just for Christmas!!!

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Re: 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
Now that's cool!

Alvis 3.1

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:35:49 AM »
Looks great in that desert setting.  Having visited that place many years ago it definitely captures the desert look. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:32:34 AM »
Nice work! :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:13:46 AM »
Poor Rhino, it's sad even in model form. Fantastic work!!! 8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 03:21:36 AM »
Excellent work, well done  :)

I'll take good note for the PTFE astuce. I have some AMARG project and I was searching an idea to make this coat layer. I try with some surfacer overlay then paint it in white, but not convinced by this method. Yours looks very good after a small test on my F-16C canopy.

Damien

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
Certainly looks every bit the part and you really captured the essence of those AMARC birds!

Brian da Basher