Author Topic: The 24 Hour Fokker (1/72 scale)  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The 24 Hour Fokker (1/72 scale)
« on: October 11, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »
I'm a pretty busy guy sometimes, so it's good when I can do a quick build. While I'd planned this one out way ahead of time, I started it yesterday. The victim is the venerable 1/72 Revell Fokker D.VII.

I could swear I saw a grainy photo somewhere of Rheinhold Platz sitting in what looked like the famous D.VII but rejiggered as a low-wing monoplane. Goodness knows if I'm hallucinating or if it's real, but the concept is too good to pass up.

Of course, I wouldn't be happy keeping the kit's engine. Oh no that'd be too easy. Gotta complicate things.

Did you ever think a SPAD XIII cowl & grill would fit a D.VII? Neither did I until now. SPAD exhaust pipes got in the way of the snake, so I decided on a single pipe coming out the bottom. Hey, it could happen! Not likely to happen, but it's possible, right?

The major mods were cutting out the lower wing center so the 'pit would have a floor and chopping the upper wing in half. I also cobbled together a hood for the engine out of scrap plastic and added a little windscreen cut from clear plastic. I like to think of this as the follow-on to the Fokker E.V/D.VIII (call it the Fokker ED hehehehe). Maybe if the W.W. I had continued on through 1919.

The model is brush-painted by hand in acrylics. This is my first time attempting to replicate that famous Fokker streaked camo. Decals are mostly from a Roden Fokker E.V/D.VIII except for the snake which I swiped from a Stuka.

I hope you liked the pictures.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:10:38 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: The 24 Hour Fokker (1/72 scale)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
Priceless Mr. Da Basher!!! 8) 8) :D
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: The 24 Hour Fokker (1/72 scale)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
Wow! At first I thought it was a Junkers D-1... then I saw the Fokker wings and the Spad engine. It really looks good!

Were you  thinking of the Fokker V-17 through V-25, which used many of the same components as the Dr-1? I think Platz was involved with those as well.